Originally Posted by sevla View Post
I wish people would stop repeating this marketing ********. It's a damn phone, end of story. All this "mobile computer" crap is non-sense and a poor attempt at creating a new marketing gimmick.

It's shaped like mobile phone it looks like a mobile phone it rings when people cAll me and I can call people on it. Stop using this " it's not a phone it's a mobile computer" as an excuse to have BASIC PHONE features not work properly or non existent all together.

Nokia really has some of you brainwashed and it's scary.
Look, I'm an Apple fan, first and foremost.

Yet even I knew what the N900 was and was not, with a few minutes of research beforehand.

It bugs me people do absolute no research and then are annoyed when the thing isn't what they expected.

It is perfectly clear what the N900 is and is not when one understands the Nokia Internet Tablet/mobile computer line of products and the Maemo 4 of 5 step.

I do agree some of the PR stuff Nokia has done is confusing, but that doesn't change the N900s design goals which clearly did not define a consumer-grade smartphone, but instead a mobile computer with phone functionality.

That is why it is step 4 of 5. Next step is the consumer smartphone. Nokia told us all this, months beforehand.

Deny this all you want, won't make it untrue, though.

If anything, this is definitely NOT marketing ********. If anything, it is the marketing ******** and media attention that has muddied this issue. The roadmap and device specs announced and communicated outside of marketing ******** clearly support my position.

Originally Posted by iJanne View Post
It was not designed to be one and this was announced beforehand.
Most people here agree, however, most people elsewhere weren't listening to that particular Nokia announcement with eager impatience. It's hard to notice that it only has a section of the phone features when it's being marketed as being more than a phone.

For Nxxx owners, maemo.org really is the center of the world. But for future owners, it's really not.

When I buy a new motherboard I usually read the comments at newegg, and a handful of reviews. Not an asus owner forum.

To be fair this phone is not even availabile from mobile networks yet, I was looking for a phone for some time before i came across this last week. If the phone is fit for purpose and going to do well its the like of vodafone direct and o2 that will decide this. Most basic phone users would never buy a phone straight from nokia or mobile phones direct. So my point really is its up to the mobile providers when they stock it to explain to customers what it is or is not.

Posts: 280 | Thanked: 72 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Switzerland
Originally Posted by iJanne View Post
Look, I'm an Apple fan, first and foremost.

Yet even I knew what the N900 was and was not, with a few minutes of research beforehand.

It bugs me people do absolute no research and then are annoyed when the thing isn't what they expected.

It is perfectly clear what the N900 is and is not when one understands the Nokia Internet Tablet/mobile computer line of products and the Maemo 4 of 5 step.

I do agree some of the PR stuff Nokia has done is confusing, but that doesn't change the N900s design goals which clearly did not define a consumer-grade smartphone, but instead a mobile computer with phone functionality.

That is why it is step 4 of 5. Next step is the consumer smartphone. Nokia told us all this, months beforehand.

Deny this all you want, won't make it untrue, though.

If anything, this is definitely NOT marketing ********. If anything, it is the marketing ******** and media attention that has muddied this issue. The roadmap and device specs announced and communicated outside of marketing ******** clearly support my position.

So they're too dumb to bring a decent gadget out?

Oh I get it, it's to get them financially stable, so they can proceed to step 5? They sell a crappy half/half device that doesn't offer pure experience on either side, so that they can then release a complete one? Wow...they're such genius, they tricked people into buying a phone for 500+ haha! Owned by Nokia again

The Following User Says Thank You to God For This Useful Post:
Posts: 280 | Thanked: 72 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Switzerland
Originally Posted by nuknuk View Post
Look two idiots together.
Is your mic working yet?! PMSFL!!!!

The Following User Says Thank You to God For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by God View Post
So they're too dumb to bring a decent gadget out?

Oh I get it, it's to get them financially stable, so they can proceed to step 5? They sell a crappy half/half device that doesn't offer pure experience on either side, so that they can then release a complete one? Wow...they're such genius, they tricked people into buying a phone for 500+ haha! Owned by Nokia again
All the reviews i have seen say this phone is great,so are you saying these have all been written by nokia to trick us into buying the phone? I only bought the thing because of the good reviews.

Posts: 233 | Thanked: 170 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by sevla View Post
I wish people would stop repeating this marketing ********. It's a damn phone, end of story. All this "mobile computer" crap is non-sense and a poor attempt at creating a new marketing gimmick.
Yeah. We've seen previously unheard of stampedes to be among the first to receive the N900. Yet, the N810 does everything much better than the N900 right now: XMMS, Canola, Maemo Maps etc etc etc. Except for maybe one thing...

So what makes people willing to trample each other to death in the fight to get their greasy nerd paws on an N900? Why hasn't there been a similar stampede to get the N810? What does the N900 do, that the N810 doesn't? GPS? Physical keyboard? Large screen? Large resolution? Unparalleled performance? Or maybe the phone?

I don't think there's any sense denying that the PHONE-feature is the main reason so many have taken the step and are willing to jump on the Nokia tablet bandwagon. The promise of having only ONE device with you everywhere you go.

The Following User Says Thank You to jaysire For This Useful Post:
Posts: 72 | Thanked: 31 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany
@knishou and iJanne

Originally Posted by kanishou View Post
That's just plain rude. Try to write a desktop environment from scratch and don't overlook any software issues, then we can talk again about "laziness". No amount of testing can protect you from that, that is also why major iterations of other operating systems (like Vista, OS X, or the iPhone OS) were anything but flawless.

As a consumer you always have the choice whether you jump right in and be one of the first to use something entirely new, or wait a while until most of the kinks have been ironed out.
You guys have just no clue what u talking about. First of all, I just bought two units of the N900, one for me, one for my friend. Second of all, I support cutting edge technology and also tolerate somewhat bugs and flaws in new approaches, especially on Linux. However, that does not mean, I am not a fan of working software and a phone which tries to be a computer (and not uses this as an excuse). You have to admit, that things like missing MMS and Portrait modus are definitely due to a lack of man power, which does not mean that any of the Maemo guys have been lazy, that is why I said it "SOMEWHAT implies". I am on your site when it comes to tolerance towards teething problems with such a hot new product and so on, but whatsoever, thinking for Nokia, it is more than in their sense to sell a consumer-friendly product, for the majority of consumers.

Very few of my family members would google something before they bought it. They would go into a store, look at the phones on the wall, and the prices, and buy the one that looks neatest at the right price point. They would look insecure, and a sales person would come over and talk them into buying the one they look at.

I believe that is much more representative for Nokias customers than this site is.

People are not going to know what they are getting themselves into.

The Following User Says Thank You to volt For This Useful Post:
Look, clearly there are two separate issues here.

One is what the N900 was supposed to be and what it is. Sure, it has some bugs that still need ironing out, but feature-wise it is what was announced and communicated to us. Many people seem to be disputing this or ignoring this, but I consider it indisputable fact.

Second, obviously, is how the N900 is perceived to be - and how any marketing from Nokia, media attention or public's expectations play towards forming this perception. I agree Nokia should communicate this better. And I do think a lot people buying or considering one have done lowsy research into their product choice and are *****ing partly in result of their own laziness.

I don't agree N900 is missing something it was announced to have. N900 is pretty much how it was announced and doing what it is supposed to do. But if someone is ignorant of the press releases and announcements, and just reads Nokia.com shop listings their expectations might lead them to believe the N900 to be more than it is. Not that the Nokia.com is untrue (when I read it with my expectations it doesn't seem to claim anything untowardly), it is just people expect the N900 to have things nobody is actually claiming it to have.

Tags
bluetooth, fanbois, idiot in noob clothing, noise, nokia n900, ring, screen