Originally Posted by sljonson View Post
No, veterans of Maemo.org see that N900 for what it is. They have been involved with the softare and hardware they even stop of it's evolution from N770 to present day. Others' like myself have been involved even long . I've helped (mostly as a guinea pig) with the development of the a lot of the technology as it was development.

The N900 is the next milestone in the development of the Maemo OS and Internet Tablet hardware. Yes they added basic phone functionality and began it's integration into the Maemo eco-system. Yes as a smart-phone is an immature platform. But Maemo doesn't have years of Symbian code and expertise to draw upon. As such, much of the Phone and other support system have to written from scatch or non-phone software roots. Nokia could not add everything in terms of smartphone feature and get the N900 out the door in reasonable timeframe. Compromises had to be made, and feature dropped for the initial deployment. But all of the stuff that is mission is merely software. Given enough time it will be developed and deployed.

I know what the N900 is. For me it's the converged device that I've been wanting for the over 2 years. I've begun leaving my N810 and old 3G phone at home both turned off. I don't have 3G service in my area for the N900, but I don't care. The N900 is just that good to me. The N900 is not perfect. There are a lot of annoying behaviours I don't like, but they aren't enough to make me want to return the N900.

People are being honest of what the N900 is. It's foremostly the latest version of the Nokia Internet Tablet and secondly it's a mobile communications device of which voice is just one protocol among many.
Ok so with that being said, is it your opinion that blue tooth or other phone functionality found in the device should not be working or basic phone features flat out missing?

Posts: 72 | Thanked: 31 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany
Originally Posted by iJanne View Post
Look, clearly there are two separate issues here.

One is what the N900 was supposed to be and what it is. Sure, it has some bugs that still need ironing out, but feature-wise it is what was announced and communicated to us. Many people seem to be disputing this or ignoring this, but I consider it indisputable fact.

Second, obviously, is how the N900 is perceived to be - and how any marketing from Nokia, media attention or public's expectations play towards forming this perception. I agree Nokia should communicate this better. And I do think a lot people buying or considering one have done lowsy research into their product choice and are *****ing partly in result of their own laziness.

I don't agree N900 is missing something it was announced to have. N900 is pretty much how it was announced and doing what it is supposed to do. But if someone is ignorant of the press releases and announcements, and just reads Nokia.com shop listings their expectations might lead them to believe the N900 to be more than it is. Not that the Nokia.com is untrue (when I read it with my expectations it doesn't seem to claim anything untowardly), it is just people expect the N900 to have things nobody is actually claiming it to have.
I am not quite sure where you get your opinion form. If somebody asks you if you wanna have all the features you can hardly deny and say no. Nokia does not seem to know where to place this phone, as it is the most advanced approach of a phone to be a pc - or MAC? -, but people won't only buy it because of being a computer. They could just simply go for a netbook with more power and bigger screen, even Nokia offers these. The attractive thing is clearly its hybrid status, of being both, making things easier. So it is clearly a mobile computer, but if it also wants to be accepted as a phone too, it has to improve. That is all what people are claiming and demanding. And you gonna see, that is also what Nokia wants.

Honestly, I see no "basic phone features" missing.. Unless you consider unique ringtones for each contact a basic phone feature.... (Something that I have never used >.<)

I love this debate on Smart Phone features.

It appears to me that the arguments For features is because the average consumer expects them and therefore the N900 is not for the average consumer.

Where as the power users of the N900 don't care a stuff FOR these phone features and are happy with the limited phone features.

So are "Smart Phones" for non sophisticated users, and "Dumb-phones" for sophisticated users?

Maybe it reflects the change from Voice/Voice mail based world to an Online , instant gratification one. Maybe Nokia are smarter than we all think.

Posts: 280 | Thanked: 72 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Switzerland
Originally Posted by nuknuk View Post
If you dont get the N900 then DONT get it SIMPLEZ
nuknuk :|! Don't over do it...
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to God For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Untouchab1e View Post
Honestly, I see no "basic phone features" missing.. Unless you consider unique ringtones for each contact a basic phone feature.... (Something that I have never used >.<)
I don't have the phone yet so forgive me if i'm wrong.. I've only been messing with the sdk.

But can I filter call logs yet? Ca ni see ONLY missed or received calls...

That is a basic phone feature....

Is it there?

Originally Posted by mikec View Post
I love this debate on Smart Phone features.

It appears to me that the arguments For features is because the average consumer expects them and therefore the N900 is not for the average consumer.

Where as the power users of the N900 don't care a stuff FOR these phone features and are happy with the limited phone features.

So are "Smart Phones" for non sophisticated users, and "Dumb-phones" for sophisticated users?

Maybe it reflects the change from Voice/Voice mail based world to an Online , instant gratification one. Maybe Nokia are smarter than we all think.
The average consumer expect certain features, some of which they dont find in the N900, while the power users of the N900 expect certain features which the N900 has that no other phone has. So, its really just a balance between two worlds. If you want what the N900 has to offer, go for the N900. If not, then I would suggest staying away for now.. No one is forcing you to buy it and the missing features are no secret!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Untouchab1e For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by sevla View Post
Do you really think anyone outside outside of this forum knows or even cares that this is "step 4 of 5"? When you go to Nokia's website, do they have a section for mobile computers? Is the n900 under that section.. No... It's found with the other PHONES.
Yeah, just like the great phone N800, that is also listed there. The N900 is a phone, though. But that is not its full description or product goal - and it definitely is not a consumer-level smartphone. This is obvious looking at its predecessors and the five step roadmap Nokia announced, back in, what was it - 2004?

I agree Nokia PR is confusing, but anyone doing half a bit of research can see what this product is and is not. Nokia was open and honest about it, we've known the steps for years and the announcements and interviews from earlier this year were clear. This is not a consumer smartphone release.

Regardless of all of that the n900 should NOT be getting a pass on legitimate bugs because you and whoever else thinks it's a "mobile computer". That is the point I'm trying to get you to understand. What does the op's problems and concerns with the phone have to do with this device being a "mobile computer"? Should he expect and accept that the blue functionality is not going to act the same as others devices with cellular capabilities?
N900 should not be getting a pass on legitimate bugs, agreed.

Besides, I am responding to responses, not the original poster I believe.

The gripe I have with this forum is that EVERY single time someone makes a post with legitimate issues someone either says "it's a mobile computer so why would you expect that smart phone feature to work like other smart phones" or "go buy an iphone". It's disgusting.
Now, let's define legitimate issues. If you say legitimate issues like someone's phone rebooting, then definitely that deserves some good responses. If someone posts here how come the phone doesn't do portrait for other than phone and how it doesn't have all the stuff N97 does, then I don't think they "got" the product.

This forum really should only be for developers and hardcore enthusiasts because anyone outside that category is treated like garbage..
Actually some see it reverse. This place is being treated like the dumpster by a lot of people who don't seem to understand what the N900 is supposed to be. They want it to be something it wasn't designed or announced to be, and personally I think it merits a response.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to iJanne For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by iJanne View Post
If someone posts here how come the phone doesn't do portrait for other than phone and how it doesn't have all the stuff N97 does, then I don't think they "got" the product.
Exactly! And this happens like, how many times a day? People go out and buy devices they dont really know what are and then come here and complain about it. They have probably just seen the Nokia branding on it and considered it the new N97...

Sorry, but such topics are getting old.. really old!

Originally Posted by Untouchab1e View Post
The average consumer expect certain features, some of which they dont find in the N900, while the power users of the N900 expect certain features which the N900 has that no other phone has. So, its really just a balance between two worlds. If you want what the N900 has to offer, go for the N900. If not, then I would suggest staying away for now.. No one is forcing you to buy it and the missing features are no secret!
Would people settle for a compromise:

The N900 is not a consumer-level smartphone, and Nokia did announce it truthfully. But late PR and salespeople pitches have muddied the issue and Nokia needs to be more clear about it. Also, the N900 has some bugs to be ironed out. And Nokia needs to come out with that consumer-level smartphone, step 5 of 5, pronto.

How about that?

The Following User Says Thank You to iJanne For This Useful Post:

Tags
bluetooth, fanbois, idiot in noob clothing, noise, nokia n900, ring, screen