Active Topics

Posts: 3,811 | Thanked: 1,151 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ East Lansing, MI
Originally Posted by coosbaytv View Post
Addison:

Well I forgot that the registered apps are on the Sony Clie not the Centro so here are a couple numbers I found on the device.

MEID: A100000434610F

pESN: 80C1A628

Secondly, I have no plans to hotsync the n810. I haven't done this with any of my devices for at least a couple years...just don't have a need.

Finally, is there a trick to getting the Palm App to access the NIT's wifi connection? I noticed people are using Pocket Tunes or Mundo for example.

and...is the GVM running the Palm OS 5? Isn't that what the "Garnet" is from? Just wanted to verify...thx
Garnet VM is the same as Palm OS 5.

I haven't hotsynced in 6 months. The only reason to do this is if an application has an installation process to it or you're like bunanson who keeps all of his contacts and schedules through GVM.

I never needed Wifi in GVM, best to ask Bun on this.

You're going to need to launch GVM through Xterm for the time being.

Once you know what you're doing, you can create a desktop icon to do this for you but I'll get to that a little later.

Read up on this thread while paying close attention to the "-n" option:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=12297

Post back if you're having any troubles.

Cheers!

Originally Posted by coosbaytv View Post
Secondly, I have no plans to hotsync the n810. I haven't done this with any of my devices for at least a couple years...just don't have a need.
I haven't hotsynched my actual Palm device in years, and I haven't tried to hotsync my N800 either. Apparently there are/were some problems with it anyway. I install .prc and .pdb files directly.

Finally, is there a trick to getting the Palm App to access the NIT's wifi connection? I noticed people are using Pocket Tunes or Mundo for example.
GVM can transparently use the NIT networking. Just start networking back in Maemo, then any networking GVM application should work out of the box. I've tried with e.g. the Google Maps application, weather applications, applications that automatically download new versions. They all work.

and...is the GVM running the Palm OS 5? Isn't that what the "Garnet" is from? Just wanted to verify...thx
Garnet is more or less PalmOS 5. But GVM seems to be limited to run m68k applications only, for now at least. Unless they changed that in the last version and didn't document it.

The Following User Says Thank You to TA-t3 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Originally Posted by TA-t3 View Post
Garnet is more or less PalmOS 5. But GVM seems to be limited to run m68k applications only, for now at least. Unless they changed that in the last version and didn't document it.
No! Running ARM apps has been a feature of GVM/GHost since day one. That's why it was called Garnet VM -- because it allows one to run PalmOS 5 apps with nearly no performance penalty under Palm-on-Linux (now called ALP).

I haven't been able to run a single PalmOS application which includes armlets, since the first GVM. Could you point me to some working application that I could test?

Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
it does work on the n900. video-proof on my blog, soon (in a few hours, its uploading in 720p)

Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Originally Posted by TA-t3 View Post
I haven't been able to run a single PalmOS application which includes armlets, since the first GVM. Could you point me to some working application that I could test?
you'd be surprised at the number of applications that use PNOs. DocsToGo, PocketTunes, most Astraware games, and my own apps (PalmGL for example, which you can find here.

Note that most of PalmOS 5 is ARM, thus not being able to run native code would really limit its usefulness.

The Following User Says Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
Here the promised Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUcwMDkLlJo

Last edited by zehjotkah; 2009-11-30 at 20:20.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zehjotkah For This Useful Post:
Thanks, that was great stuff. I can see though that the missing 'full screen' button (which on the N8x0 is used to quickly switch between the different view modes) may be a bit missed on the N900. On the other hand it seems to naturally like to use the portrait mode, so maybe that won't matter that much.

Posts: 3,811 | Thanked: 1,151 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ East Lansing, MI
Hey guys.

I wanted to quickly mention that I'm currently putting together one last touch screen keyboard layout to be used with Garnet.

There's a way now to get Xkbd finally working correctly but I'm still not sure if it's a permanent solution as of yet.

All that's left is to finish up with the third, modified layer of the keyboard. I probably can post it in a couple of days.

It's surprisingly very finger friendly.

If anyone has a suggestion or two on the layout, try to leave a comment before it's done.

Cheers!

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Addison For This Useful Post:
Very nice!

Tags
garnet, palm