Posts: 1,589 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Arlington (DFW), Texas
Honestly, an extra $5 isn't much. The N900 would require support and training of staff, and we'd have less simple questions flooding this forum. Not to mention it'd give the N900 national marketing exposure in the US, a key to mass market success here in the States. An N900 with unlimited voice, SMS/MMS, and data for $84.99 a month is still hard to beat.

Last edited by christexaport; 2009-12-07 at 14:38.

Posts: 486 | Thanked: 154 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ New York City
Originally Posted by somedude View Post
If they do subsidize it would make a big difference for the old customers because they would want the customers with this device to switch to the smartphone plan which is 25 for internet and 35 for internet and text messages,
Right now I have $20 unlimited txt and Unlimited Shadow Web and this is working just fine and I tested 3G speed while I was in the area and was getting 2.26 dwnld speed. So no I do not want the subsidy of this device, unless they would not force old customers to switch to expensive plans.
You're grandfathered in on plans at T-mobile and unless you change your features or rate plan they don't force you to switch.

First about OP, only information that i heard about TM going to offer N900 is from representative at Costco Wireless, when i asked TM stores reps, they told that they did not hears about this one at all or they did not heard about this phone will be offered through TM.

About the data plans. I myself have $9.99 plan (not current, but the old one, Tzones Pro), that is giving you unlimited Internet access, 100 pic msges (that are no use because no MMS), and 300 text messages. It is why I'm buying unlock phones, and do not want to switch to any TM data phones.

Recently TM started to offer:

Unlimited Web for phones Free Trial: This service is recommended for frequent Internet users who regularly access the mobile Web to browse their favorite Websites, search for music and videos, etc

They are offered it through the phone or through you personal TM online account, when you got to upgrade you services. I tried to find out for about that that "Free Trial" mean, but all what i got back is that just a name, and for now it was offered for several month.

If you have a data phone listed in ur TM account and $9.99 plan is not available, it is a easy work around to make it available. Basically, just switch you phone to some other one, like Sony TM506, and then add a new data plan, you might need to wait up to 5 working days to change take an effect before it become available.

Also, another question to all of T-Mobile USA customers. As many or you know, we are able to check our current bill or minutes use by sending to network:
#255# or #646#

i was unable to do this with N900, it is giving me an incorrect number, any suggestions?

Posts: 486 | Thanked: 154 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ New York City
Originally Posted by geroi View Post
Also, another question to all of T-Mobile USA customers. As many or you know, we are able to check our current bill or minutes use by sending to network:
#255# or #646#

i was unable to do this with N900, it is giving me an incorrect number, any suggestions?
That's a known bug...

Posts: 459 | Thanked: 669 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ The DMV
Originally Posted by hypnotik View Post
You're grandfathered in on plans at T-mobile and unless you change your features or rate plan they don't force you to switch.
That's not always true. You are generally in the clear with using a cheaper grandfathered data plan with unlocked devices. But all bets are off once they decide to support a subsidized version of your device.

This happened with a couple of Android phones. People were able to use the cheap plans on the unlocked version of the T-mobile MyTouch for awhile. However, when T-mobile was close to launching the subsidized version, they forced the users of the unlocked version to upgrade to the Android plan, if they weren't already on it.

I kind of doubt that they would subsidize the n900, since they are probably hearing about the WIP nature of the device--there are other N-series devices make better sense to me, like the N97 mini. But if they did, there's a good chance that the $5 & $10 plans will stop working. The $20 "Total Internet" plan might be cut off too (depending on whether they group Maemo with Android), but since it was the grandfathered "smartphone" plan, they will be more likely to let you keep it.

Posts: 1,255 | Thanked: 393 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ US
1. Tmo does not care if you have an unlocked phone. They have a support team that deals with unlocked devices- in regards to set-up for service, but not direct device / hardware support.

2. I posted last week that a Nokia rep was in a store in my area and he pointed out that Nokia pushed for the N900 to be part of Tmo's portfolio, but Tmo does not want to subsidize or support an unlocked phone beyond CS calls for service set-up. He also mentioned that Tmo does not want the N900 due to it price point.

Funny thing is the guy was not at the Tmo store for business reasons, but visiting a friend there. The friend is a neighbor of mine- small world.

Posts: 1,589 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Arlington (DFW), Texas
Originally Posted by hypnotik View Post
That's a known bug...
I think it is a matter of not supporting service messages.

Back to the OP... Now with the Google phone being confirmed as a T-mo 3G frequency phone... do not think T-mo will bring the N900 into the stable.

N770, N810, N900, N97, N85, E71, 5800xm, iPhone(retired)
AT&T & T-Mobile

Originally Posted by geroi View Post
#255# or #646#

T-mobile.com works great.

The Following User Says Thank You to Randy_Reid For This Useful Post: