Posts: 355 | Thanked: 245 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ Northern VA
Kind of an unrelated note, but somewhat relavent. I owned the N86, prior to that the N82, and though the N86 is a much better camera, the daytime shots are amazing comparing to any other camera phone out there, the one thing that ultimately made me sell it and use the money for a N900, is the fact that most of my pictures are taken a night in a bar, club, etc...environments where the flash is going to go off. The Xenon flash of the N82 cannot be beat almost no motion blur, there is always going to be motion blur with Dual LED flash. I experienced this with the N86 and ultimately was one of the main reasons I decided to sell it. If I'm going to get motion blur with my night shots might as well have the best pocket computer take the shots too. I adore my N810, no way am I going to sell my N82 its great for taking out on those party nights and waking up with a bunch of great shots you don't remember taking, and for regular use I'm just waiting for my N900 to come in. All in all the N86 is a great camera phone, but if you're going to be taking night shots with alot of motion going on, always be a bit leary of Dual LED flash. That being said as well, I cannot wait for the video capability of the N900.

Posts: 1,589 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Arlington (DFW), Texas
I'm a bit disappointed that video light isn't implemented yet, and Nokia continues to ignore requests for a xenon and LED flash. Both have their plusses.

Does anybody know what happen to "sequence mode" and "self timer"? They are missing on N900 but mentioned on several spec list like http://www.forum.nokia.com/devices/N900/
Are either one coming to the camera application in some software update? I really could use them both..

don't confuse Symbian development with Maemo. Symbian had a five year fead start, so its features are farther ahead.

Isn't aioni pointing out that in the specifications for the N900 on the developer forum it says the camera application has sequence mode and a self-timer, when actually it doesn't? What does that have to do with Symbian? That's just pointing out a discrepency in the specs Nokia published for the N900.

Anyway, aioni, the relative lack of features in the N900 camera application has been discussed above in this thread. Reviews (linked to above in this thread) have mentioned the lack of self-timer and sequence mode (as well as other features being missing), although I hadn't notice the discrepency with the listed specs for the N900 and the actual specs as it ships. Thanks for pointing that out. It's a bit odd. Hopefully the discrepancy means Nokia plans to add this features soon and just wasn't able to get around to it before shipping the N900 (that's my general impression of the camera application--that it just didn't get done before shipping). In contrast to me, most people who've been posting in this thread feel pretty positive that the Maemo developers will improve the camera application in the future. I'm sure at least some improvements will come. But when is anybody's guess. At least, no developers have chimed into this thread to explain what's going on and what the timeline is.

You're right, cb474. Sorry, aioni. I'm just used to the forum Nokia site having specs wrong. Like saying the N96 had a separate dedicated graphics accelerator, when it didn't. I see your point. Just know that they're known for notoriously printing wrong info on that site.

That's funny. I've had the opposite experience. The regular Nokia website has errors, but the developer's forum has been accurate. I guess neither is reliable.

They're all liars right now, since I'm still waiting after 3 months for my Amazon order...

OK.. thanks everybody..
Spec list maybe written long before actual device and forgotten then..
I cross my fingers that those features are coming someday.

Posts: 53 | Thanked: 48 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Montreal, Canada
This thread inspires an addition to the "READ THIS before posting a new thread " at
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=27900

It should mention using the Enter button when posting long posts; that is if the poster wants anyone to bother reading them.

PS: cb474, did you figure out than you can click on the thumbnails to view the pictures on Flickr