Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by Big_Bob View Post
HD2 means Windows, I don't like when things crash..

I'm kinda disappointed, thought the N900 is going to be an "iphone killer", or "the ultimate device" lol, if only it didn't have all those stupid problems...
Not everyone is experiencing the cited issues. Seems to be a vocal minority, which leads me to suspect many are specific hardware defects.

I've been impressed by my experience, but then, I was predisposed to being skeptical about it usability-wise. Most of my gripes are over small annoyances that can be fixed in firmware.

- could there be a massive hardware error, on a huge percent of the manufactured devices?
Odds are the percentage is nowhere near huge. When I was managing N800 quality, the field failure rate was around 3%. That's more typical.

Last edited by Texrat; 2009-12-09 at 02:02.

Originally Posted by msa View Post
i've yet to see a win mobile-device that did crash.
Yes they do. I'm forced to use Winmo on my work phone and while I wouldn't say they crash regularly, I have had to reboot the last couple I've had - two orange/HTC and a Samsung every month or so (even though it spends most of non-work time off). The last one is even worse in that it will occasionally decide that it can't be bothered to talk to the cellular network at all or indicate that it has stopped doing so on screen.

maemo and the n900 is the only and first mobile device i have heard of crashing. Which is pathetic a bit.
I would say your experience of mobile devices is a bit pathetic then. every non-trivial piece of software will have bugs. many of those will be crashing bugs. Even the old 6(2/3)210 occasionally crashed.

I AM SPARTA!!!

lol jk jk

Anyways i agree with Erik on this one, having own the n900 for a few weeks now i never had it reboot on me even once. maybe it's the users going into extra-dev and downloading random apps and crashing their n900? i said maybe....

this n900 is making my netbook and ipod touch jealous....

Originally Posted by msa View Post
obviously it can happen.
but people used to say that linux never crashes.

now look at maemo5 and ask yourself: where is your god nao???

you get my point...

(or people say windows always crashed - i'm still waiting for the first crash on my win7-laptop. also, my old xp-laptop didnt crash the last 3 years i owned it)
Windows, OSX, and Linux will rarely crash as long as you don't do anything to it. It's when you begin installing stuff on the system that the stability becomes questionable.

To bad running a plain system with nothing but default stuff installed is pretty useless.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

loved my n770

loved my winmo xperia x1a

would love to get back into nokias n900 series but cant justify a new phone when my current one is doing everthing asked of it. will have to wait for the next version.

id say if you like to tweak your phone alot, then get the n900 (maemo has a learning curve to use). if you want a good phone straight out of the box without waiting for all the fixes, get the touch pro hd2

Last edited by c_legaspi; 2009-12-09 at 02:11.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
I've rarely had a Linux device crash.

I've had numerous, numerous crashes on other systems-- including the supposedly solid XP 64, which has recently been brought down by, of all things, Corel Draw.

Goes to show you never know.

Posts: 486 | Thanked: 154 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ New York City
The thing is, some of these reboots are userland crashes which cause the watchdog timer to reboot the phone - most likely not the kernel itself crashing. I've had userland apps crashes on every smartphone I've ever owned - WinMo, iPhone, S60, S60v3, BB.

Posts: 127 | Thanked: 41 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Aspen Colorado
Hi all!
I was thinking of getting the N900, but I'm not completely sure.
I have read about it here and in some other forums, and it seems like it got a few annoying disadvantages, for example:
-some apps crash a lot
-device crashes and reboots
-poor battery life, hardly stands a day with regular usage
-camera quality isn't very good after all, and video recording frame rate drops to 20fps.
-lots of system bugs, and a general feeling that the device is "unfinished" or wasn't tested enough.
I can't wait for all the fixes and firmware updates, or for the "fixed and imroved N910"
I always loved nokia, and currently I have a Nokia phone S60v3, but Maybe I should better get the iphone 3gs, jailbreak it and have a pretty good phone, without all those problems I mentioned.
I dealt with linux here and there, I have some basic knowledge, but I'm definitely not a unix man and I wouldn't want to be hard working on the N900, digging system files to understand why it crashes etc..well.. maybe a little bit but yet, I'd like to get a working phone.
So, what do you guys think? Did it really fulfill your expectations, or you were disappointed a little?
What should I do?
I've had the N900 for almost a week and not had anything crash. I also haven't gone nuts installing a bunch of stuff either. The whole soap opera reminds me of when I moved from Windows 95 to NT 3.51. Windows 95 had all the momentum and development... I seem to remember Office not running on 3.51 for a while, and problems with hardware drivers that could only be fixed by chucking the offensive HW and buying compliant devices. But the trade off was a machine that used all 32 bits and the entire instruction set, had uptimes measured in months, and nerd bragging rights.

Posts: 378 | Thanked: 206 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Denmark
Hi all!
I was thinking of getting the N900, but I'm not completely sure.
I have read about it here and in some other forums, and it seems like it got a few annoying disadvantages, for example:
-some apps crash a lot
-device crashes and reboots
-poor battery life, hardly stands a day with regular usage
-camera quality isn't very good after all, and video recording frame rate drops to 20fps.
-lots of system bugs, and a general feeling that the device is "unfinished" or wasn't tested enough.
I can't wait for all the fixes and firmware updates, or for the "fixed and imroved N910"
I always loved nokia, and currently I have a Nokia phone S60v3, but Maybe I should better get the iphone 3gs, jailbreak it and have a pretty good phone, without all those problems I mentioned.
I dealt with linux here and there, I have some basic knowledge, but I'm definitely not a unix man and I wouldn't want to be hard working on the N900, digging system files to understand why it crashes etc..well.. maybe a little bit but yet, I'd like to get a working phone.
So, what do you guys think? Did it really fulfill your expectations, or you were disappointed a little?
What should I do?
To be honest... I never had an app crash on me.. device never rebooted on me... Battery life is amazingly good, as long as you set Wi-Fi to 10mW instead of 100mW... Camera is secondary to me, its still better then iphone camera thats for sure.. Iphone cant take pictures in the dark.. remember?

I use it heavily every day, f.ex last night i was talking on skype with business partner, writing emails to customers and checking out company websites on the net, through wi-fi for a couple of hours.. no problems at all.. my battery indicator didn't move much, except during the skype call, but what do you expect from talking over the wi-fi for almost an hour.

The only thing this phone is missing, is the small features that are just bonus features.. i saw someone meantion that he was amongst other things, disappointed that there was no speeddialing... whaat? why would you need speeddialing, when you can put your contacts directly on the desktop lol

But in the end this is just me, we all have diffrent needs. Maybe the iphone will do it better for you. The Iphone could never satisfy me.. i need something that makes me feel like i'm using a real computer.. and not a mp3 player.

Last edited by mthmob; 2009-12-09 at 07:46.

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by God View Post
I obviously over exaggerated about the amount "300".
oh really?

https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=6334

votes:54

54 randomly rebooting devices can easily fall outside 6 sigma (which is really impressive level of end user product quality...).

100 faulty devices fall outside 6 sigma when over 50 000 devices are sold.....

What do you think how many units nokia has already supplied?

e: and what do you think which one comes here to write 1000 posts:
a) someone who has faulty device
b) someone who is fully satisfied
?
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search