Posts: 486 | Thanked: 154 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ New York City
Originally Posted by Imtiyaz View Post
I guess the red light has to do something with autofocus.. i am not sure may be i am wrong.
But from what I understand it doesn't autofocus after recording starts, so the light should be off. Also, AFAIK on most cameras you can have Autofocus assist be with IR only and not visible.

Posts: 49 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ chicago usa
yeah also what he said, why does it do a flash when flash is off lol

Posts: 336 | Thanked: 610 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ France
The autofocus on the N900 is done through contrast measurement, which works quite badly especially in low-light environments.

At the moment the software which actions the camera hard codes the fact that in order to get focus, a minimum amount of light is required, at which point the flash will be triggered in order to focus correctly. This could probably be filed as a bug, bug plainly put, there is a good chance that you'll have a hard time to focus on whatever you're trying to shoot -- for the mass market it makes sense to use the flash for focus.

I don't think the red light is powerful enough to help during focus, and what was said before is correct, there is no need to have the red light going after recording starts as the focus is non-changeable during filming.

I believe the source code for the camera application is not open source, so this change will have to go through a software update, however, for the red light (used to indicate we are filming), this might be controlled by the chip directly in hardware. Someone could file a bug to request more information regarding this.

Hope this helps,

Posts: 49 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ chicago usa
aight so i tested recording with the program qik, and when it records there is no red light. so im thinking its a software thing? anyone else got an idea?

Good point!