Originally Posted by mikec View Post
M4E not supported for google sync. see the wiki

http://wiki.maemo.org/N900_Email_Options
I have the Gmail syncing through the regular email app, and I have my exchange account through the M4E

First impression from me (just got my N900):

It's close to impossible to use it (w/keyboard) when in horizontal position on the couch (the position I'm always in in my home, except when eating or watching TV).

The N800 is the opposite, i.e. very easy to use in this position.

Posts: 11 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Markina-Xemein, Bizkaia, Spain
Hi people!
I'm not shure if this is the right thread but i didn't find a better one...
I'm having some problems with incoming calls and sms. Some people can't phone me. They get the message of "the phone is off or out of coverture".
And the sms get a delay of hours and days!!
Someone has the same problem? May be a cuestion of configuration? In that case, how may i get it fixed?
By the way, im spanish and i use Telefonica. If it helps...

Thanks a lot!

Banned | Posts: 291 | Thanked: 42 times | Joined on Dec 2009
OK, so I've just unboxed my N900. It took me 2 minutes to remove the back plate as I was afraid to break it. The whole thing feels cheap. Then it took me another 2 minutes to put in the sim card as the little metal piece was just falling off. Then I'm still working on configuring the region as it just overscrolls and I can't stop it at English (USA). Typing in the name doesn't do anything, up, down arrows don't work. So for the moment I'm stuck with some language I don't even know.

Not good first impressions. Hope the rest is better.

It does get better. The UI just takes some time getting used to. I had the same sort of problem with scrolling and the touchscreen.

I have the N900 now for one week. In itself the device is great but, and as you can read on the other forums, there are some issues.
Good, compared to E90:
Large screen, bright
Smaller phone
Fast
Multiple applications
Fast internet
Memory
Ease for calling (most important)
Internet, SMS, mail, etc.

Not good, compared to E90
Reception, old fasion GSM sounds when calling
Set back in software wrt
1. office apps (only view, not edit),
2. OVI navigator, from V3 to V1,
3. Mail for Exchange does not work with the server from work. Even though this is due to the settings at the server at work, the E90 did work!
4. Bluetooth does not always work, not sure why
5. Linux, I am just a user and all the programming stuf and root access is certainly not something I will ever due although I know that it could be very usefull.

Al in al I am happy with the phone and gives the required advantage and hope that the next update solve the mail for exchange issue together with a light weight office application that can edit MS office 2007 docs would be great!

mine works well, no problems and lovin` it ! perfect for what i want it for!

Have had my n900 for a couple of days. Was a little afraid of opening the back cover as I thought I might break it, but much more comfortable knowing that it is press fit.

The 3 row keyboard gets a bit used to and drove me crazy that I couldnt figure out how to use pipe on xterm. Installed ssh server and now can log onto it using my regular machines so its much faster typing.

Waiting for the ovi store to open up but all in all loving the flexibility that it provides

Posts: 1,283 | Thanked: 370 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ South Florida
Getting the back open is easy and nothing to worry about if done correctly.

1) Stick fingernail in thumb slot and loosen
2) Move thumbnail to other side of that end with the thumb slot and loosen that side of the end.
3) Start on one side near end and loosen with thumbnail
4) Go to other side and loosen with thumbnail.
5) Walk down the sides loosening as you go along.

No drama or worries when done this way. You can also use something like a rounded nail file to slip under edge.

If you just pry it completely off from the nail slot I can see how it would worry you.

Finesse is your friend here.

Yup, I did les_garten posted. But it feels like your going break your fingernails when your first starting though.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Tags
first impressions, fremantle, impressions, initial impressions, maemo, maemo 5, moderator, n900, out of box, out of box experience, please merge, review, shiny