Poll: Is this on or off-topic?
Poll Options
Is this on or off-topic?

Posts: 1,137 | Thanked: 402 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Catalunya
"Apple ignited the personal computer revolution in the 1970s with the Apple II and reinvented the personal computer in the 1980s with the Macintosh"

I'll add that it could do so only because at that time nobody cared about software patents.
Today apple wouldn't have a chance to exist.

The Following User Says Thank You to luca For This Useful Post:
Posts: 415 | Thanked: 732 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Finland
See this thread -> http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=33325

There's the same conversation going on.

Originally Posted by luca View Post
"Apple ignited the personal computer revolution in the 1970s with the Apple II and reinvented the personal computer in the 1980s with the Macintosh"

I'll add that it could do so only because at that time nobody cared about software patents.
Today apple wouldn't have a chance to exist.
Hell Microsoft wouldn't exist. I believe Bill Gates even pointed it out himself.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Threads merged and title generalized to cover both the suit and countersuit.

The Following User Says Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
http://www.betanews.com/article/Appl...nts/1260559533

Apple foresaw the importance of converged user-friendly mobile devices...designed a business strategy based on the convergence of personal computers, mobile communications, and digital consumer electronics, and produced...devices such as the iPod, iPod Touch and the iPhone.
Err...the n800 came out in Jan. 2007. The first iPhone came out in June 29, 2007. Then you have the 770 which came out 2005-11-03. (dates from Wikipedia).

So the only thing Apple has in their example that predated the Nokia tablets is the iPod. Which came out 23 October 2001.

Apple singles out the 5310, E71, N900 by name, but includes the Series 40, S60 and Symbian platforms, Carbide C++ (because it's developed in an environment that enables the compiler to generate a GUI), and any Nokia product that identifies itself through USB.
Some of the patents Apple is claiming Nokia infringes.

But anyway, I've already echoed my opinion before. The whole patent system is a joke.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Banned | Posts: 291 | Thanked: 42 times | Joined on Dec 2009
They'll end up cross licensing each others' technologies. Apple is no worse than Nokia wrto using others' ideas. (google qualcomm sues nokia)

The reason why Nokia is suing Apple and not the other way around is because Nokia has been losing money and market share while Apple's star is shining brighter than ever before.

Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post

Err...the n800 came out in Jan. 2007. The first iPhone came out in June 29, 2007. Then you have the 770 which came out 2005-11-03. (dates from Wikipedia).
Nokia Communicator, which allready did most things Apple claims iPhone to have brought to mobile market, was released in 1996.

Originally Posted by OrangeBox View Post

The reason why Nokia is suing Apple and not the other way around is because Nokia has been losing money and market share while Apple's star is shining brighter than ever before.
Sorry, but that's just silly. Even Apple's own court documents state that they started negotiating before Apple even had marketshare. This thing is going to court because they couldn't get an agreement on licensing terms.

Last edited by Rauha; 2009-12-11 at 19:58.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rauha For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Gah. Some of those patent descriptions make me really question the system...

Originally Posted by OrangeBox View Post
They'll end up cross licensing each others' technologies. Apple is no worse than Nokia wrto using others' ideas. (google qualcomm sues nokia)
Yup, Apple basically did the same thing Nokia did. They basically went through a 3rd party company that paid the licensing fee. I forget who Nokia went through, but Apple is going through Foxconn.

Edit: See Texrat's post below for who Nokia used.

Last edited by Laughing Man; 2009-12-11 at 20:06.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
Yup, Apple basically did the same thing Nokia did. They basically went through a 3rd party company that paid the licensing fee. I forget who Nokia went through, but Apple is going through Foxcomm.
Nokia used Foxconn and Compal.

Tags
apple, intellectual property, lawsuit, nokia, nonsense magnet, patent infringement