Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 445 | Thanked: 572 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Oxford
Originally Posted by phi View Post
i find it strange that gpodder doesnt have its own built in player. its just a downloader
Would you actually want that though - how would it be better then using the standard player?

The Following User Says Thank You to ewan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,589 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Arlington (DFW), Texas
Before this goes any further, let's not try to turn the N900 into the iPhone. We don't need separate apps runniatop Maemo. I have a much better idea.

We have unprecedented access to the OS, plus Nokia wanting to become an enabler and facilitator of services. This means instead of making "an app for that", this, or the other, let's do one better. Lets stop building apps and start byilding infrastructure. We need to create the rails to enable us to access Pandora, Last.fm, MySpace Music, and any other music streaming services that come along ALL FROM THE SAME INTERFACE!

So find the common ground between these services, create a common UI, and figure out how to enable these services to work within that paradigm. Isn't that a better idea?

I'm sick of filling up space on my device with multiple apps and icons for similar but branded services. Maemo is a game changer, so let's change the game. We finally have Nokia's support, so let's take advantage of the opportunity at hand! Let the sheep use their iPhones. We have pocket workstations. We can exceed anything on the market if we plan and use our heads.

I suggest starting with Qt and thinking out the UI. Anyone game?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to christexaport For This Useful Post:
Posts: 445 | Thanked: 572 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Oxford
I'd start by giving the Nokia folks a sharp poke in the direction of opening the media player UI code - they seem to want a concrete reason for doing it, and "we plan to add last.fm etc. support" seems pretty concrete.

Plus, it'd be in their own best interests.

Originally Posted by BigMaemo78 View Post
I just tried pandora from the web browser on my N900...terrible experience...choppy and slow....back to my iPhone...
Really - because it worked just fine on my N900 - little choppy when starting other apps at the same time but for the most part just fine.

Another Iphone fanboy finds the forums. Honestly - where do they come from and why do they bother coming here
Agro ... : |*****-----] Relic(s) : G1, N900

Originally Posted by Bratag View Post
Really - because it worked just fine on my N900 - little choppy when starting other apps at the same time but for the most part just fine.
As long as the sound dosen't shutter i don't see a problem with this either. Now if i would just get to Pandora work from Europe like i do with my computer i would be happy

Originally Posted by christexaport View Post
Before this goes any further, let's not try to turn the N900 into the iPhone. We don't need separate apps runniatop Maemo. I have a much better idea.

We have unprecedented access to the OS, plus Nokia wanting to become an enabler and facilitator of services. This means instead of making "an app for that", this, or the other, let's do one better. Lets stop building apps and start byilding infrastructure. We need to create the rails to enable us to access Pandora, Last.fm, MySpace Music, and any other music streaming services that come along ALL FROM THE SAME INTERFACE!

So find the common ground between these services, create a common UI, and figure out how to enable these services to work within that paradigm. Isn't that a better idea?

I'm sick of filling up space on my device with multiple apps and icons for similar but branded services. Maemo is a game changer, so let's change the game. We finally have Nokia's support, so let's take advantage of the opportunity at hand! Let the sheep use their iPhones. We have pocket workstations. We can exceed anything on the market if we plan and use our heads.

You're right. I would rather have services such as Pandora built in as an account you can connect to in the media player. No need to download apps or anything because it would already be integrated. This is one feature i really like about the N900, i love that i have sign on to all of my IM accounts without having to download an app for them.

Sorry I haven't responded sooner. We need to get a list of services we'd like to support. I'm already hearing Pandora and Last.fm. Any others?

I will have to focus on Maemo Freak this weekend, but will get with some design guys for a proposed UI mockup. I'll need to study both services and their iPhone and Android apps for expected features. I would even like to see the FM Radio UI incorporated as well.

So be on the lookout for a push on this. I'm going to Nokia with a full clip, and it'll take some good ideas to compell them, so let's think this out thoroughly. Glad my idea appeals to you guys.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to christexaport For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by christexaport View Post

I think that is a really good idea! One other service I would love to see support for is blip.fm. I was really looking forward to using it in the browser in the N900. It works, but the constant zooming and scrolling make it a pretty unpleasant experience.

Being able to access multiple services from the media player or other interface would be an awesome solution. While the browser on the N900 can replace the need for many apps, the main advantage to me of having a mobile app is the ease of use on the smaller screen of a mobile device.

Posts: 296 | Thanked: 126 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ New York City
Theres a linux open source CLI pandora app:

http://6xq.net/html/00/17.html

Maybe a place to start with at least being able to use pandora without the browser. christexaport's idea sounds awesome though.

does Pandora still restrict use to paid accounts for standalone players?