Active Topics

Posts: 45 | Thanked: 24 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ The Netherlands
Hi all,

Since 2 days i got my Nokia N900.
I've donwload some programms and themes for my device and i want to install it, but it's a .deb file. How do i install those files??
The files are located @ N900/Downloads. How to acces this location with xtherminal app? (im a complete newbie with terminal)

Hope you guys can help me,

Thnx,

Martijn (The NEtherlands)

Posts: 516 | Thanked: 643 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Denmark/Poland
Hello, welcome to the forum.

To install an application from a .deb file, use

Code:
dpkg -i nameOfTheFile.deb
This however requires root privileges.
Please remember, that this is not a usual way of installing applications in Linux, you may want to use Application Manager for that. What applications are those?

Useful links for newcomers:
Użyteczne linki:
Nowi użyktownicy mówią cześć | New members say hello , Tu zaczynają nowi użytkownicy | New users start here, Podforum społeczności | Community subforum, Wiki dla początkujących | Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 101, Często zadawane pytania | Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ), Google

Jeżeli mogę w czymś pomóc, pytaj!
If I can help with anything else, just ask!

Bored? Follow me

The Following User Says Thank You to hopbeat For This Useful Post:
it's a theme: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=32761
and a vgba emulator

How can i open a deb file with application manager?
when i click on it nothing happens, and i can't chose a option to open it with application manager

you said use this command:

dpkg -i nameOfTheFile.deb

don't i need to tell it where the file is located?

EDIT: my device says: requested operation requires superuser privilege. How to fix that?

EDIT 2: i fixed it with sudu gainroot, But i've i do the
dpkg -i vgba.deb command it says no such file. It looks like it's in /home/user

Last edited by martie1; 2009-12-12 at 10:03.

Posts: 844 | Thanked: 521 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ UK southampton
The emulator and various themes are available through the normal process in application manager. If you still want to install these files google enable red pill mode. Using this setting you can use the install from file option in the application manager drop down menu. Be warned through enabling Red pill mode can damage your device if you dont know what your doing as it takes away some of the in built user safe guides. Everyone needs to experiment though but I use the N900 sdk emulator for that rather than my £500 phone. Google search the forum for the SDK installation instructions. Happy experimenting.

in which repository the themes are located i've i search for marina i dont get a result....

Posts: 844 | Thanked: 521 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ UK southampton
If you already have the .deb file then just send it to your phone via Bluetooth/usb and save it to the n900 main dir that pops up first. Then go into file manager click on N900 icon locate the .deb file. Click on the file and it will either automatically open with Application manager or ask you which applicatio to use to open it. It should auto install from there asuming the .deb is in the right format ie a Fremantle download.

I did what you said:
i selected the file i want, set it to open with application manager.
The application manager opened, and nothing hapens after that.
When i look at themes i don't see the theme.. what did i do wrong?

I think because most of the emulators have been removed, this forum is going to be flooded with the same sort of requests.

Application manager will not open any .deb files.

When you open .deb and instruct the n900 to use application manager to install, it just opens the application manager and does nothing,

App installer will not install either via this method.

So a lot of linux newbies are going to be taking the red pill, or getting root.

i saw on application manager a program called:" app installer" it claims it can install deb files. but i dont know how it works.
so can tell me how i can install the marina.deb file located @ n900/downloads ? thnx

Edit: I installed it with the "red pill" method and i worked like a charm!

Last edited by martie1; 2009-12-12 at 13:40.

Hi.

I see that you have come to a solution to the "problem", however installing it trough xterminal is easy once you know the location of the .deb file.
Downloaded the GPE filemanager wich shows full location of directories and your all set with dpkg