Active Topics

Notices

Hmm. i googled this last night but didn't come up with anything. I will have to take a closer look at it again. thanks for the reply!

Posts: 251 | Thanked: 131 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ USA
Originally Posted by nstavr View Post
Hmm. i googled this last night but didn't come up with anything. I will have to take a closer look at it again. thanks for the reply!
It just occurred to me that I'm already doing this on my laptop. Oops.

Go here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s.../bb896649.aspx and grab their "PsTools Suite". Unzip it in a directory somewhere, then create a shortcut to psshutdown.exe. You can experiment with the options if you want -- I'm using "-h -t 00".

I believe the first time you run it, there's some pop-up about a license or something (it's been a while for me, so my memory's a bit foggy ). After that, it never re-appears.

-jkq
Agro ... : [***-------] Relic(s) : N900

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jkq For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jkq View Post

Go here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s.../bb896649.aspx and grab their "PsTools Suite". Unzip it in a directory somewhere, then create a shortcut to psshutdown.exe. You can experiment with the options if you want -- I'm using "-h -t 00".

I believe the first time you run it, there's some pop-up about a license or something (it's been a while for me, so my memory's a bit foggy ). After that, it never re-appears.

-jkq
I will have to check that out as soon as I get in tonight and am able to sit in front of the pc. I will let you know if I am able to get that to work. Thanks again!

jkq, it works great! I'm now able to hibernate from within my rdesktop session on the N900.

Posts: 221 | Thanked: 51 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Germany
telnet works for me - even with a different port. The app itself not - any hints?

Originally Posted by nstavr View Post
jkq, it works great! I'm now able to hibernate from within my rdesktop session on the N900.
Cool, glad I could help!

-jkq

Thanks, I am now going to buy N900.

Posts: 22 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Utrecht, the Netherlands
Ok, I installed rdesktop-cli from the catalogue and using ssh I can now connect to my home WinXP machine running WinSSHD, establish a tunnel and then rdesktop-cli through the tunnel for a safe remote desktop session :-)

Questions:
1) This is not really rdesktop related, but how do I prevent the ssh client from opening a shell? I just want to use it to establish the tunnel.
2) I use rdesktop-cli in fullscreen mode, because else I can't see the taskbar. However, I don't know how to terminate the program without killing it (using the power button), since I can't get away from the remote desktop. How should I do this?
3) Any tips on how to (safely) store passwords? I use keyboard (username/password) and public key authentication for ssh. After this I have again to input username/password for rdesktop. I'd like to know how to bypass typing these passwords, if at all possible.

Answers:

Originally Posted by dreixel View Post
1) This is not really rdesktop related, but how do I prevent the ssh client from opening a shell? I just want to use it to establish the tunnel.
I have no idea, sorry.

2) I use rdesktop-cli in fullscreen mode, because else I can't see the taskbar. However, I don't know how to terminate the program without killing it (using the power button), since I can't get away from the remote desktop. How should I do this?
Create a shortcut to "%windir%\system32\tsdiscon.exe". That program disconnects your terminal session.

3) Any tips on how to (safely) store passwords? I use keyboard (username/password) and public key authentication for ssh. After this I have again to input username/password for rdesktop. I'd like to know how to bypass typing these passwords, if at all possible.
If you have ssh keys, you should be able to put your public key in the remote computer's authorized_keys file. If you didn't use a password on your private key, you should be able to login to the remote computer without entering a password. See http://immike.net/blog/2007/08/06/pa...ther-ssh-tips/ for a step-by-step tutorial.

I don't have any ideas for the rdesktop password, as I don't have my N900 yet.

-jkq

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jkq For This Useful Post:
Posts: 388 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by jkq View Post

-jkq
Actually, right click on desktop, click create new > shortcut, type in shutdown -h as the location. Much easier, no need for psshutdown... shutdown is built in to all windows anyway. (i think)

The Following User Says Thank You to Kieron For This Useful Post: