Notices

Posts: 3,811 | Thanked: 1,151 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ East Lansing, MI
I think I've finally got it! Joy!

Thanks a bunch Nick for basically being the only one who stuck around on this.

Turns out when you disable and then reenable the hildon keyboard, it defaults to a different interpretation of the geometry and symbols input it receives.

~ $ setxkbmap -print
xkb_keymap {
xkb_keycodes { include "evdev+aliases(qwerty)" };
xkb_types { include "complete" };
xkb_compat { include "complete" };
xkb_symbols { include "pc+us" };
xkb_geometry { include "pc(pc105)" };
};
~ $ gconftool-2 --set -t bool /system/osso/af/keyboard-attached true && sleep 2 && gconftool-2 --set -t bool /system/osso/af/keyboard-attached false
~ $ setxkbmap -print xkb_keymap {
xkb_keycodes { include "evdev+aliases(qwerty)" };
xkb_types { include "complete" };
xkb_compat { include "complete" };
xkb_symbols { include "nokia_vndr/su-8w(us)" };
xkb_geometry { include "pc(pc104)" };
};
Quite honestly, all that was needed was a simple change in the rules of that /usr/share/X11/xkb/rules/base file so it wouldn't weird out on us anymore.

So right now, all virtual keys are working along with all of the hardware buttons as well.

I'll test my keyboards over the next day or two, and if there's no issues, I'll post an easy solution along with that new keyboard layout to be used for Garnet VM.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Addison For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Addison View Post
I think I've finally got it! Joy!

Thanks a bunch Nick for basically being the only one who stuck around on this.

Turns out when you disable and then reenable the hildon keyboard, it defaults to a different interpretation of the geometry and symbols input it receives.

Quite honestly, all that was needed was a simple change in the rules of that /usr/share/X11/xkb/rules/base file so it wouldn't weird out on us anymore.

So right now, all virtual keys are working along with all of the hardware buttons as well.

I'll test my keyboards over the next day or two, and if there's no issues, I'll post an easy solution along with that new keyboard layout to be used for Garnet VM.
Lol, with Christmas approaching I wasn't able to do much after reflashing my tablet (man, how come there are always more presents to make than money to spend?), anyway I'll check this night your latest theory and give you an update as soon as I wake up tomorrow
Thanks for your patience and all the passion you're putting into this

The Following User Says Thank You to JustNick For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
Originally Posted by JustNick View Post
how come there are always more presents to make than money to spend?
When you have a username JustNick, what do you expect??

Addison: for someone who isn't up to speed on this project or xkbd (that is, me), just what do I need to do to try it out and give you feedback? Is there a .deb for starters, and then some commands in xterm, or what?

The Following User Says Thank You to GeraldKo For This Useful Post:
All right, this is what I have so far.

Download, unzip, and put the Keyboards folder on your external memory card (media/mmc2/).
Keyboards.zip

This seems extremely safe to use, so there should be no worries in testing any of it.

Open up the Xkbd install.note file in the folder, edit, select all, copy, open Xterm, edit, then paste.

That's it.

I don't see any reason why you would need to reboot, but if you ever do, run this command in Xterm before launching Xkbd again.

gconftool-2 --set -t bool /system/osso/af/keyboard-attached true && sleep 2 && gconftool-2 --set -t bool /system/osso/af/keyboard-attached false

Only possible issue might be if you try and use a BT keyboard, but I'm not all too sure about this. The other thing is if you want to use a Xkbd layout that's created for a different language.

Anyway, there's a backup of that base file in the keyboards folder.

The feedback I'm most hoping for is the one to be used for Garnet VM.

You need to have screen rotation installed on your tablet.

So rotate the screen and run the Garnet script at the bottom of the Keyboards.note file.

I'm looking for a better layout of the keys on this. The function keys, insert, delete, page up and page down don't do anything in Garnet. Also, the biggest thing for me is to put up, down, left and right directional arrows keys somewhere. Those keys work perfectly in my med apps, just need to figure out where to put them.

Any suggestions would be welcomed.

So test away and post back if you have any ideas on a better layout for that Garnet VM keyboard.

Cheers!

Sorry guys, I forgot to include some screen shots so you can get a baseline of what this should look like.

I'll look into installing the newer version found here and see what all can be done with it.
Xkbd 0.8.16

Last edited by Addison; 2009-12-13 at 11:12.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Addison For This Useful Post:
Well, after several days of messing around with this alternative solution, I've not experience a single error, loss in hardware key function, no stylus weirdness and certainly no need for a reboot.

Joy!

Okay, simple request. Anyone will do. You can be an ugly dipturd for all I care.

Download the source file for this.
Xkbd 0.8.15m

Remove the .deb extension.

Open up the file kb.c in the src folder.

About 200 lines down change this line from
kb->key_delay_repeat = 10;
to
kb->key_delay_repeat = 45;

Then recompile and post the .deb

This will stop the keys being pressed from unnecessarily repeating like they do.

This would be huge for me if someone could get it done.

Here's to hoping.

ArminS, would you be willing to compile this for us?

You've done it once before so it shouldn't take you much time at all.

Ukki, in all of his great glory, did this favor request.

After initial testing, I'd that say we finally have a winner!

Right now, this is only meant for N800 users.

There's probably a way to problem solve on how to use it with the other tablets but it might be complicated since I don't own either one of the others.

The only thing I'm really waiting on is Bunanson, who I was hoping to help me configure the layout for the Garnet keyboard.

I'll probably go with invisible scroll bars on both the sides of it.

Anyway, I'll try and post an easy setup for this within a couple of days with an update on it all.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Addison For This Useful Post:
Man you're too fast for my standards... I didn't have the time to test a possible solution you proposed two pages ago and BAM I suddenly find you've all fixed by yourself!
Great work, really, you're showing to all of us some real commitment!

The Following User Says Thank You to JustNick For This Useful Post:
If you have a N800 tablet, I'd say this solution works just as good as a hildon keyboard.

This opens up so many new opportunities that weren't there before.

Scumm, Dosbox, Telnet, SSH, Garnet, etc.

It's all working and no more repeated keys to boot.

Sorry if I seem overexcited. But I've been waiting much too long for this.