Notices

Posts: 48 | Thanked: 51 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Austin, TX, USA
This is the first release of "TrustMe", a utility to manage sensitive data such as passwords and banking information and store them in an encrypted database.

It is available from the extras repository, the homepage (with more details and screenshots) is http://trustme.garage.maemo.org .

I am aware that there already are several programs that do similar things. TrustMe's main unique feature is that the database is automatically locked after 5min of inactivity.

Other features are:
  • Design goal of being tablet friendly: panel based GUI, keyboard navigation on the N810
  • Database encrypted with the Blowfish algorithm
  • Entries can be searched by name (incrementally entered) or category
  • An entry's user name and password can be easily copied to the clipboard
  • trustme can be invoked in command line mode to dump and restore the database to a plain text file
  • The same code runs unchanged on a Linux desktop

The implementation is in Python and uses the libgcrypt-py and libgcrypt libraries for encryption.

I classify the 0.3 release as beta, and have been using it to manage my personal information.

The following features can be implemented based on demand:
  • Support for multiple password databases
  • Configurable timeout value
  • Packaging for the desktop version (currently, you'd have to get it from SVN)
Attached Images

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to henningspruth For This Useful Post:
henning, i this tried out and liked it. looks great! questions:
would it be possible to add an easy printout/export to txt function?
is this backed up in diablo backup?
is it possible that it could affect battery life in unforeseen ways?
thank you very much for your work!

Originally Posted by wesgreen View Post
henning, i this tried out and liked it. looks great! questions:
would it be possible to add an easy printout/export to txt function?
is this backed up in diablo backup?
is it possible that it could affect battery life in unforeseen ways?
thank you very much for your work!
1. When running TrustMe on a Linux desktop, it is already possible to dump and restore the database to a text file. I never tested this on the tablet, and it appears to be broken due to a missing Python getpass function.

This should be easy to fix ... would you be OK with a command line utility? I'm concerned that a GUI application would make it easy to create the text dump somewhere on the tablet, which would defeat the purpose of having encrypted content.

2. The database is currently not included in the backup. I can add that functionality, would you be able to test it?

3. The only background activity is the countdown timer, and that stops once the timeout occurs. I'm pretty certain that this does not affect battery life.

Many regards,

Henning

The Following User Says Thank You to henningspruth For This Useful Post:
thanks for getting back to me. i haven't started using command line yet, but one of these days...
1. an easy printout or export/import function for backup in another place would seem necessary for me to commit to a password utility. otherwise all the work of inputting my passwords might be in vain.
2. i guess i would be able to test diablo backup by un - and then reinstalling trustme, so if that would be useful please let me know.
3. after installing trustme and abiword a few weeks ago, i had a new weird battery issue, which hasn't reocurred since i uninstalled trustme, but that isn't much evidence for anything. are you using it on a tablet yourself?

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
Thanks for building TrustMe. I've entered just a few entries so far, but all is well. Nice clean design.

The one tweak I would like: if the user could set it so that passwords don't display (you know, display as just a row of asterisks) after they've been entered.

A cool new feature would be: a button that you tap which copies the username and password and, in between them, inserts a tab. For most website logins, that would save the steps of having to go to TrustMe a second time. You would choose the Paste command when the cursor is in the username field, and both the username and the password would get entered.

Thanks again!

Originally Posted by wesgreen View Post
thanks for getting back to me. i haven't started using command line yet, but one of these days...
1. an easy printout or export/import function for backup in another place would seem necessary for me to commit to a password utility. otherwise all the work of inputting my passwords might be in vain.
2. i guess i would be able to test diablo backup by un - and then reinstalling trustme, so if that would be useful please let me know.
3. after installing trustme and abiword a few weeks ago, i had a new weird battery issue, which hasn't reocurred since i uninstalled trustme, but that isn't much evidence for anything. are you using it on a tablet yourself?
Wes,

I just uploaded version 0.5 of TrustMe. It has an import/export function to and from a text file. The formatting should be obvious, it actually is what is used internally by the tool, just not encrypted.

I may have misunderstood what you originally meant by "backup", but just in case the package now also has a configuration file to cause the database (in essence, the /home/user/.trustme directory) to be included when you run Maemo's built-in backup utility.

You can get version 0.5 either from extras-devel repository, or you can download and install the package from the Garage's file release system: https://garage.maemo.org/frs/downloa...me_0.5_all.deb

Could you try this out? If you think it addresses your needs, I'll promote this release to the extras repository.

Many regards,

Henning

Originally Posted by GeraldKo View Post
Thanks for building TrustMe. I've entered just a few entries so far, but all is well. Nice clean design.

The one tweak I would like: if the user could set it so that passwords don't display (you know, display as just a row of asterisks) after they've been entered.

A cool new feature would be: a button that you tap which copies the username and password and, in between them, inserts a tab. For most website logins, that would save the steps of having to go to TrustMe a second time. You would choose the Paste command when the cursor is in the username field, and both the username and the password would get entered.

Thanks again!
I think a feature to not show the passwords would be doable (e.g., a checkbutton next to the password field to control whether it's displayed).

However, I'm not sure if the "copy username-TAB-password" would work. I tried doning this on a desktop machine, and the sequence would always end up being pasted into the username field. Can you point me to a site where this actually would work?

Henning

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
I think it would also be a nice feature to have it fill in the username/password automatically. I use a program on windows called Roboform and love it, I just haven't ever found anything comparable for linux. Roboform also stores the URL, so when you click the entry, it opens a brower/tab, takes you to the page, and enters the login info.

Great work!

Originally Posted by sd_proto View Post
I think it would also be a nice feature to have it fill in the username/password automatically. I use a program on windows called Roboform and love it, I just haven't ever found anything comparable for linux. Roboform also stores the URL, so when you click the entry, it opens a brower/tab, takes you to the page, and enters the login info.

Great work!
I assume that many web sites use HTML forms with fields like "username" and "password", so opening the browser with a URL such as "https//mybank.example.com/login.php?username=myuser&password=mypass would work.

The challenge is to figure out what the URL is and what the field names are ... do you know how roboform does this?

Hm, thinking this through I'm not sure if my example is what you want since then the URL (including your password!) would end up in the browser's history ...

Henning

hi henning,
backup, export and import (i opened and edited the file with abiword on the n810) all seem to work. i wonder why you decided that importing any file would overwrite the complete data base?
however, at this point i consider trustme useable. i use roboform too, in windows, and it works well, if you're willing to live with the annoying pop-ups. trustme is the closest i've come to it in maemo, and it doesn't have pop-ups. thank you very much!
with admiration for your work and best regards,
wes