Notices

Posts: 284 | Thanked: 498 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Poland
Originally Posted by wazd View Post
If I'll need mother's advice - I'll call her, ok?
I'm not throwing around ideas, I'm "working" on User Interfaces, from bottom to top. It's not about stealing my toys (who cares), it's about stealing my time.
I didn't know someone forced you to make that blog post and convinced you that everything you concepted will be used. I'm sorry.

Posts: 1,635 | Thanked: 1,816 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Manchester, England
wazd, in Barcelona there was a lot of interest in working on lots of apps, why on earth would someone knock back advice from many quarters - the more the merrier.
the guys involved in the FM radio worked really well as designer and developer bouncing ideas off each other, I thought it was one of the amazing things which happened there.
development is an evolutionary process and gaining input from as many sources as possible makes the apps the best they can be.

I'm pleased the writeup from this app are online now and should be used as an example of the success of the weekend and how apps can evolve from where they were before.

We are an open source community, applications improve by standing on the shoulders of giants and your work has not been forgotten or abandoned, infact it provided the basic groundings for what will hopefully become a cornerstone example of collaborative community development processes.

Last edited by lcuk; 2009-12-13 at 14:52. Reason: reworded sentence

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to lcuk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 528 | Thanked: 895 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Moscow, Russia
Ok, for the last time.
I absolutely don't care if my work is remembered or forgotten, otherwise I'd be outa here in July. Or August. Or September, October, November, or 5 days ago. I have more than enough reasons to leave. But I'm not an ego-whore or karma-whore. I'm glad that there are people that wants to help as much as me with user interfaces. I have absolutely nothing against helping. The only thing I was asking is respect for other people's *time*. We are all having our real lifes. Aside from my real life I've decided to help other people with things I'm good at.

Before Barcelona Event Valerio Valerio (VDVsx) asked me, if I have some more time to work on BlueMaemo, cause he can ask people at Barcelona for additional help. Everybody is awared, everybody can plan their free time. That is a good example of proper behaviour.

I think all questions are cleared now. Thank you.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wazd For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,589 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Arlington (DFW), Texas
Obviously wazd put his heart and soul into this, and honestly, since no one else has, I'm standing at his side. Not because he's right or wrong, but because he cares.

I make music, and I hate when guys change my productions without my knowledge. The tracks I make are my creations, my kids. The same for app designs and concepts for wazd. He obviously loves the design. Could no one contact him before trashing his idea? Maybe he was willing to serve the station database himself.

With that said, I'm happy with the progress. You guys had a unique opportunity to work with some otherwise less accessible talent, and you took the opportunity. I'd have done the same. Just be more empathetic of wazd's feelings. He loves what he does, and he's emotionally invested. We'd do good with more wazd's in the community.

Don't abandon this project just yet, wazd. We all make hard decisions. I'm sure they didn't decide to ignore your help at a whim. Better communication could've gone down, but we learned something for the next project. I'm looking forward to seeing your work on future applications.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to christexaport For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,589 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Arlington (DFW), Texas
Originally Posted by Tomaszd View Post
When it's ready First it's going to enter extras-testing anyway, so even if a version is released today, it's still going to go through community testing before it hits Extras.
Will this be an update of the original app, or a new one? I'm using the FMRadio app now at the Cowboys game as we speak. (we're losing, 10-3. We paid $60 to park, so they better win! Grrr...)

I was wondering, is there was a way to use the FM radio without the bluetooth? Or lower the broadcast strength of the bluetooth transmission wattage to a minimal level as long as there are no paired devices? It might help with battery life.

For those with issues with accuracies with the swiping to tune, try this:
Once you get near your station, tapping on either side of the tuning line moves it one step in that direction. I thought it works well when used this way. Give it a try.

The Following User Says Thank You to christexaport For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,635 | Thanked: 1,816 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Manchester, England
Originally Posted by christexaport View Post
Don't abandon this project just yet, wazd. We all make hard decisions. I'm sure they didn't decide to ignore your help at a whim. Better communication could've gone down, but we learned something for the next project. I'm looking forward to seeing your work on future applications.

far from ignore the hard work wazd has put in, believe the work on the tuner was second to none and recall his strinking blog post on the subject and being amazed once again at his talent.
this dominant feature remains a key element in the design the work done last week is not a relfection upon wazd or his processes, infact they were hailed by many.
I recall equally strong critique and advancement in the comments section of that posting, and that discussion simply continued in Barcelona.
Its an interesting subject with many observers.

The Following User Says Thank You to lcuk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 284 | Thanked: 498 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Poland
Here's a video showing off the latest code

To answer your questions, it will still be the same application.

Currently swiping sensitivity is not good for fine tuning. The detection code does have some problems when you don't push hard enough and when the movement of the swipe isn't really horizontal. You can see in the video that you can get the hang of it, but it's not intuitive (e.g. to move 0.1 MHz you have to swipe hard, hold and then come back to the place you were). Martin is working on this

The Following User Says Thank You to Tomaszd For This Useful Post:
Is it possible to use the speakers and the earphones at the same time? Could be handy if you want to listen to the sound in a room and you don't have loud external speakers or just for a better stereo effect.
Looks good btw!

i hope that playing the radio through the headphones will bypass the HP filter and hopefully extend battery life.

Please add +/-
My current phone (ok, it's a SE, but i don't think it matters that much) sucks at auto-scan. If i start moving the frequency manually, like on a normal (physical) radio, i can find a few stations with pretty good reception. Even if the reception is pretty bad, it still prefer it over the "no stations found" message
If it clutters up the UI, you could make it off by default and user-enableable [is that a word?!]. But for me it would be useful and important
Edit: perhaps make the behavior of the arrow buttons settable between jump to station and frequency crawl?

Last edited by MrGrim; 2009-12-14 at 13:06.

The Following User Says Thank You to MrGrim For This Useful Post: