I just found out about the Qt Declarative UI yesterday and thought the demo and concept is really neat. Exposing the power of the Qt framework through javascript/html development has the potential to attract the web developer skillset types to start developing apps for maemo.

A couple of things come to mind if this becomes fully supported on Maemo/Symbian devices:

1) This is exactly what the Palm Pre Mojo SDK was suppose to do. However they ran into problems when developers started demanded more performance out of the SDK (like developing games). With Qt Declarative UI, it should be the exact opposite. Qt has a solid foundation to build from so QML shouldn't run into the same issue. If it did, there is always the option to develop the computation intensive code natively.

2) The biggest benefit I see is that it should reduce development/testing/deployment time for a Qt app on Maemo.

As you can see I am very excited about the Qt 4.7 features.

The Following User Says Thank You to fatdat888 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 41 | Thanked: 144 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Lieto, Finland
If you're interesting in about QML I wrote a small article of that with youtube video where running bunch of QML demos on N900. You can check it out from here:

http://zchydem.enume.net/?p=374

There are also instructions how to build it from Qt's kinetic-declarativeui branch. Btw, the Declarative UI was released today with Qt 4.6, so go ahead and try it.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zchydem For This Useful Post: