Active Topics

Swipe your fingernail from the outside (black) quickly.

Tap the arrow icon box.

Is it possible that the version sent to US has this disabled or something? The "About Product" reads as follows

Nokia N900
Maemo 5
Version: 1.2009.42-11.002

Nail/Stylus dont work. All I get is the screen shifting to the right and if I hold there, I get the context menu that allows to "add address", "save page" etc.

Any ideas to determine if this feature is working any other way?

Posts: 600 | Thanked: 742 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ England
Originally Posted by tunn3lratz View Post
Nail/Stylus dont work. All I get is the screen shifting to the right...
If you could upload a video to YouTube that might help us diagnose whether the problem is with your device or your technique.

Regards,
Roger

Posts: 600 | Thanked: 742 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ England
Originally Posted by eiffel View Post
...might help us diagnose whether the problem is with your device or your technique...
As the actress said to the bishop!

Make sure that the page you are on in the browser is non refreshing. When I use the mouse in any page that refreshes the mouse goes away.

you can use the shift key to start text selection while using the mouse pointer.

E

The Following User Says Thank You to epilido For This Useful Post:
Posts: 87 | Thanked: 36 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Helsinki
Took me a few attempts to figure it out aswell.

The sweep needs to be pretty much ninja-fast flick of finger, anything short of that will fail. But for some reason it does work quite nicely once you get it...

Posts: 268 | Thanked: 304 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Orlando, USA
Originally Posted by tunn3lratz View Post
Is it possible that the version sent to US has this disabled or something? The "About Product" reads as follows

Nokia N900
Maemo 5
Version: 1.2009.42-11.002
I have the same version. Here is a video I made demonstrating it. Hope it helps!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVMPu83f22g

Here is a youtube link on my futile attempts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hMwhmJyTi8

Archebyte - I saw your video and that looked really simple. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong?

Posts: 40 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Austin, Texas
http://www.flickr.com/photos/frankal...9308/?edited=1

Open up Sketch, top menu: canvas size, add to left. Try to color in the left edge. I got the above, but after *alot* of effort. It filled in quicker towards the corners.

Originally Posted by Suurorca View Post
Took me a few attempts to figure it out aswell.

The sweep needs to be pretty much ninja-fast flick of finger, anything short of that will fail. But for some reason it does work quite nicely once you get it...
No you don't need ninja fast swipe speed, nor do your need to use a fingernail/stylus to get the gesture to work. I spent a lot of time experimenting with all of the different ways of going the gesture. I found the most important thing is doing the swipe with firm pressure on the screen. Speed of the gesture isn't that important. Using and maintaining firm pressure from off of the display area to on the display is what's needed. And from my testing, there is no special area. You can use entire left side of the screen. As long as you swipe onto the area of the web page. Swiping onto the status bars (top/bottom) won't work.

To sum it up, using firm pressure swipe from off the display on the left side to somwhere on the web page. If you do this your will enable mouse hover mode every time. Firm pressure and swipe onto the web page from the left.

Edit: And if you are using a stylus don't press to firmly. You won't want to scratch your display.

Edit 2:

tunn3lratz after looking at your video you don't have a firm enough contact with the screen. Use a little bit more pressure. The important thing is to make sure your have firm contact on the screen when your stylus is off of the screen. The key is the transition from off screen to on screen.

Last edited by sljonson; 2009-12-15 at 05:39.