Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
Originally Posted by qole View Post
Wow. So actually, Wind will be more expensive than Fido.

$15 is the cheapest voice plan. $35 is the only data add-on. So $50 is the cheapest voice+data package. Plus, there's no SIM-only package.

So is "unlimited" 3G (in a fairly restricted area, I bet) instead of 500MB EDGE worth +$15/month for me? Probably not, since I spend so much time in wifi areas.

And I had such high hopes. So much for competition.
Yeah, but the $50 includes unlimited data (5GB at full speed with speed reduction if above) in the GTA/Edmonton. For those that like voice, $35 gives you unlimited talk. Fido can't touch those numbers. If you have low usage patterns (such as yourself), you can find lower rate fido plans. However, for slightly higher usage, Wind plans quickly out pace the competition.

Plus, there's a certain peace-of-mind that comes with unlimited -- unrestricted use. You don't have to worry about overage or how you use the device or plan your day around it (like telling people to 'call after 7' or 'call me back' etc). Just pick up and go and use your device naturally. It's the same reason I'm buying the Asus UL30Vt-A1 laptop**: with a 10hour battery (actual usage time -- no bull) you don't ever have to worry about looking for a plug socket. It's the peace of mind of being unrestricted with use.

... and it is network compatible with the N900 and the fabled N1.

I'm lucky to be in the GTA and I'll definitely be a Wind customer next year. I'm hoping that their service is satisfactory! There's apparently a kiosk close to where I live so I'll be walking by today to check them out!

And yeah, this competition is good. I know too many people that throw away hundreds per month in phone bills that are crying out for this service. It'll put the squeeze on Belusgers, and their limited network area will allow time for the others to catch up and offer competitive plans. Either way, prices are going to drop.

** the Asus UL30Vt-X1 is available now via amazon, and the A1 is speculated for a mid Jan release. For those that are in the market for a lappie, you won't find better bang for your buck this season.

}:^)~

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 631 | Thanked: 837 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Milton, Ontario, Canada
I agree with the Capt'n, while $50/month might seem more expensive than the cheapest packages from Fido or others out there, the key point really is that you're getting 5GB/month data on a 3G network that operates on the frequencies supported by N900... Yea of course it's only two major cities right now, but that's all part of any carrier roll out, and you'll see the network expansion happen next year (my bet would be they already have a lot of the build/infrastructure in place, they just have brought it online yet).

In my mind $50/month is the max you're going to have to pay... what's the point in the extra voice minutes/etc with the N900 when you should be able to do SIP calling on the 3G network without any problems? Why pay for extra text messaging when you can use a web gateway? This is the whole point of the N900 "as a telephony device" right? Move away from the "carrier determined services" and instead rely soley on the carrier as an ISP...

What's the deal though guys, I haven't had a chance to find a WIND kiosk near me yet... but if you showed up with an N900 and said "here's my phone, I want to sign up for plan X" I assume they'd say "cool, here ya go" right? or?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jolouis For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Calgary Alberta Canada
Originally Posted by Slocan View Post
I think "deactivated" just means that it's not in stock at the moment. That's the way it was before they sold a batch last week, and they must set it back that way until they receive more.
What nokia n900 no longer available at newegg.ca!!!!

that's not fair because the US (newegg.com) site has lots in stock.
i just bought a phone from newegg.ca (nokia 5530)for a xmas gift and its coming in from BALDWIN PARK, CA, US
why can't newegg just transfer parts from there other sites and ship it to Canada?
I think newegg.ca needs to fix there site and let us obtain the N900 this is not fair to Canadian customers!!!!

Last edited by veiloctane; 2009-12-17 at 17:17.

Posts: 794 | Thanked: 784 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ /Canada/Ontario/GTA
Originally Posted by jolouis View Post
...I haven't had a chance to find a WIND kiosk near me yet... but if you showed up with an N900 and said "here's my phone, I want to sign up for plan X" I assume they'd say "cool, here ya go" right? or?
...which I JUST did. No dice. Wind has put a filter on their network for the time being. Only Wind phones work. Also supported by their FAQ.

But I agree with you jolouis.... I am going to move to wind not because it may or may not be cheaper (I think I will pay $10 more than what I've got with FIDO), but it will be better value.

Arrrgggh... so close but so far!!!

The Following User Says Thank You to EIPI For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by jolouis View Post
In my mind $50/month is the max you're going to have to pay... what's the point in the extra voice minutes/etc with the N900 when you should be able to do SIP calling on the 3G network without any problems? Why pay for extra text messaging when you can use a web gateway? This is the whole point of the N900 "as a telephony device" right? Move away from the "carrier determined services" and instead rely soley on the carrier as an ISP...
Well, I'll wait for reports back on that. I never use the 50 minutes and 50 texts that I get on my $15 Fido voice plan, and I use about 150 MB on my data plan. If the 3G allows for flawless VoIP, then I might be tempted to pay more, but I'm just not in the category that sees enough value in what Wind is offering.

After tax, my $40 plan is $45. $50 will have even more tax on it, too. So I'm paying $540 a year already. Do I want to pay $600+ (probably $660+) instead? You'd better make a damn fine case for why I need it.

Last edited by qole; 2009-12-18 at 18:22. Reason: I'm paying even more than I thought!

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Posts: 739 | Thanked: 242 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Montreal
Yeah i really want to here people comment on the SIP over 3G with asterisk at home and such... (or on the device).

Also, it would be awesome to be able to change the IMEI for Wind ;-)

Originally Posted by qole View Post
Well, I'll wait for reports back on that. I never use the 50 minutes and 50 texts that I get on my $15 Fido voice plan, and I use about 150 MB on my data plan. If the 3G allows for flawless VoIP, then I might be tempted to pay more, but I'm just not in the category that sees enough value in what Wind is offering.

After tax, my $35 plan is $40. $50 will have even more tax on it, too. So I'm paying $480 a year already. Do I want to pay $600+ instead? You'd better make a damn fine case for why I need it.
Yeah, in your case it doesn't make a whole bunch of sense to go Wind: stick with what works. Thankfully with the addition of Wind, Bellusgers and co. will be forced to be competitive which likely means lower rates and/or newer plans. So indirectly that $480 you're paying could be lower still -- or have more features -- thanks to Wind!

I'm also around WiFi 98% of the time and use VoIP exclusively, but I find that when I'm out and about, public WiFi doesn't offer the latency and low-jitter that SIP calls seems to demand. I always get complaints on the other end of speech breaking up or dreadful voice latency. I've contemplated getting a server and forwarding voice-data over a PSTN trunk to a mobile number (say a fido phone), but that also costs money ($35-$50/mo), and I lose the benefit of walk-around data. So for me (an avid VoIP user) the $50 Wind combo works out well.

Also, I'm generally not a fan of picking and choosing public locations that offer free WiFi. While they're generally not too hard to find (excluding illegal leaching), it still requires planning and foresight, and often the service is just 'ok'. Having a high-speed walk-around-web would be tremendously liberating for someone like me that uses it almost exclusively for work. This is especially true in the summer time.

Thankfully, due to no-contract and pay-before plans, I should be able to determine my usage over time and modify my account to suit.

But these are entirely personal use scenarios, and I fully understand and respect other use cases.

Now lets hope they open up their spectrum to unlocked devices! There's a lot of N900/N1 lovin' to be had!

By the by, I went by the location that I thought had the Wind Kiosk, but it turns out it was at a different location. So I'll try to make it out that direction and report back!

};^)~

Originally Posted by R-R View Post
Yeah i really want to here people comment on the SIP over 3G with asterisk at home and such... (or on the device).

Also, it would be awesome to be able to change the IMEI for Wind ;-)
Forget asterisk... Seriously...

Go Freewsitch. Read more here: http://freeswitch.org/node/117

Posts: 739 | Thanked: 242 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Montreal
Originally Posted by Capt'n Corrupt View Post
Forget asterisk... Seriously...

Go Freewsitch. Read more here: http://freeswitch.org/node/117

hehe, I'd consider it if i had complex need but really my asterisk sertup suits me.
Though the problem I'd like to be adressed is that right now, at home, i have 2 SPA2102 ATA that works great even while i d/l torrents with a little QoS but the N900 seems to be sending, as you noticed too through other's complains, jerky sounds on the same setup.

Actually, it's also the same on the local Lan with just the echo test!

So what makes the N900 unable to do the same job as an SPA2102 which probably has much slower hardware and all this with the same settings basically?

Last edited by R-R; 2009-12-18 at 15:32.

The Following User Says Thank You to R-R For This Useful Post:
FYI: Wind should have SIM-only sales ready in a week:

http://www.windmobile.ca/support/faq...nd/#question-1

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tarek For This Useful Post:

Tags
buy, canada, canadian, cost, n900, provider, providers, retailers, rogers, wind