Posts: 114 | Thanked: 45 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Turin, Italy
I noticed today that in Maemo 5 is not possible to have the same icons/shortcut/bookmarks/widget on different workspace (desktop).

For example, If I would like to have the icon to enter the phone mode on every desktop, I cannot put it, because it could be installed only once. Therefore if I need to make a call, first I should search the right workspace and then, only after founding it, I could use the shorcut.
But it's not a shortcut if this is the behaviour.
Same example. I'm on the workspace 2 and the phone is on the 1.I don't know where I am and where it is, therefore I start searching it randomly. To use the phone mode through the shortcut, in the worst case I have to:
  • switch from desktop 2 to 3
  • switch from desktop 3 to 4
  • switch from desktop 4 to 1
  • open the application
while without the desktop shortcut in EVERY case I have to:
  • open the menu
  • open the application
Then the shortcut is longer then the menu-solution from 0 (same lenght) to 2 passages. Please noticed also that swipe on the screen take more time then tapping on it to open the menu.

Then, why couldn't we have the same shortcut on all the desktops, so that it becomes really a shortcut?

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
It's not a solution to the more general "same shortcut on more than one desktop" problem, but a button that launches the Phone application is always available in the menu activated by a single press of the power button.