Active Topics

Posts: 60 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Michigan, USA
This is one thing I've searched and searched over and over and can't find a real answer to.

I've currently got my Google Apps calendar setup for a personal calendar for the house, makes it easy to keep things setup and in sync so we all know what's going on.

Well, I've managed to get it setup and going on my iPod Touch, on the fiancee's iPhone, and in Sunbird and Thunderbird with Lightning, but the N900 has yet to work for me.

I know it has to be done over MfE, and that I understand. My major issue is that I don't use my default calendar, I use a Shared calendar between the two of us. Well, since the N900 isn't seen as a "mobile" browse I have to use my iPod to go to the https://m.google.com site to modify the calendars, and here seems to be my problem. You can select the calendars that you want to sync with certain devices. Well, since the N900 isn't "officially" supported by them, you can only select one calendar, but you CAN'T uncheck your main calendar and select another one. I've tried ten ways to Sunday and can't get it to work. I know this is probably a google issue, but I'm wondering if ANYONE out there has this issue?

I surely can't be the ONLY person who has a setup like this and shares my frustration??

You can only sync with your default calendar. You can't change the default calendar in google to another calendar. So the fact you can only synch with one calendar and it's the default, you are stuck. You're in the same boat as the rest of us. If you do decide to synch with your default calendar, you'll notice many other bugs (e.g. something as simple as calendar notes - kinda important ya think - don't synch from server to N900, reminders don't set right nor do they update,, among many other things). Pretty much unusable as a calendar other than just seeing what might have been at one point and hope it still is.

You can try nuevasync, but I don't recommend it. Did a lot of testing and MfE is the lesser of two evils (and that's not saying much). Nuevasync has issues with the N900 that they finally admitted to in the forum - I had a TON of problems with contacts and calendars so abated the entire idea. Some seem to have luck - and you can synch multiple calendars. Perhaps their contacts/calendars aren't as busy/heavily used/edited as much as mine. I dunno, but if you want to experiment, calendar/contacts are free and I think you get up to 10 calendars - shared will show up as a choice.

Good luck.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hex900 For This Useful Post:
That's what I figured, unfortunately. I thought about trying mcalendar or a few others in the repos, but I haven't heard of any of them, and I really would rather wait until they get further along in testing before I'm trying them.

I mean, other than MMS and this, I love everything about this phone.

The Google Calendar website works, it's just not quick and easy like having the calendar integrated would be. I love that about the iPhone/iPod Touch, once it's setup, it's just there and all kinds of easy. Hopefully they can get this issue worked out in a FW update (hopefully sooner rather than later).

Posts: 177 | Thanked: 128 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Espoo, Finland
Originally Posted by Gizmokid2005 View Post
I mean, other than MMS and this, I love everything about this phone.
Hopefully they can get this issue worked out in a FW update (hopefully sooner rather than later).
I really wouldn't hold my breath for Nokia implementing multiple google calendar support soon - or actually ever - but maybe there could be a commercial solution (GooSync is one for Symbian phones, far from perfect though) or more likely, some other solution like Erminig was for the N810. Multiple Google calendar support is not a priority for Nokia at all, it's pretty clear. Their Symbian phones don't even do it (please correct me if I'm wrong, I haven't been keeping up with Symbian lately, thank god).

Anyway, Erminig seemed to work decently for me on the N810, but it needed (at least then) to be manually synced and anything other than reading events, meaning creating them, caused all sorts of problems. These might be fixed now, though, haven't checked. But at least I could have multiple calendars syncing into the tablet, one way.

I'll probably get a flamethrower pointed at me for saying this, but frankly people who need to have good google calendar and gmail functionality are much, much better off with an Android phone or I suppose an iPhone, if it works flawlessly there too. I'm personally perhaps an example of a nightmare situation for Nokia: I went for an Android phone because there was no Maemo phone available yet (and I'd like to wait out the first year of bugs anyway) but right now, after using an Android phone for several months, I'm so hooked on the flawless Google calendar and Gmail that I can't really think of letting go of it anymore, no matter how much I really want to get my hands on the other features of Maemo. But for a phone, calendar is basic functionality, it needs to work and support everything under the sun. I actually didn't think of it as such before, but it has made my life definitely a lot easier to just "have it work" and I don't think I could put up with it not working anymore.

Anyway, look up Erminig and see if it's available for the N900 or if something similar is coming for the N900. It's probably your best hope.

Last edited by BatPenguin; 2009-12-18 at 06:26.

Posts: 172 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ San Francisco, CA
The solution I've come up with, which is far from perfect, is to create a dummy gmail account, which is just for the calendar and contacts, to sync up with MfE, and then my regular gmail account is just IMAP on the N900. I only really need a single calendar so multiples is a non-issue for me.

FYI, the reason I chose to use a dummy gmail account is that I found having my regular gmail account (emails, contacts, caledar) as the MfE didn't sync the email properly, and having it as just contacts and calendar via MfE plus IMAP for email prevented for some inexplicable reason the signature from appearing when composing or replying to emails.

Off topic: the contacts sync fine but for several fixable bugs: no fax field on the N900 and because Google chooses to go with just one field for addresses instead of separate fields each for street, city, state and postal code, the addresses are a bit confusing with a # sign between each set of characters.

Well, I don't need or want multiple calendar support, I just want my shared calendar to be the calendar that is synced on my phone. I'm currently using Nokia Messaging for my gmail account, as setting up my gmail account in IMAP would be a disaster. I have google archive everything, and since it's POP'd to my PC I'd have to go into the ALL MAIL folder to view any messages, and I get the feeling that would probably never sync with over 23,000 messages in it.

But all I want, is to be able to sync that one shared calendar, even if I can't edit events, I'd like to be able to see them.

Even with my E71x, I could use iSync on my mac and push the events over there, even if it was manual, I could still have my calendar events on my phone.

Posts: 479 | Thanked: 641 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Switzerland
Originally Posted by BatPenguin View Post
Anyway, look up Erminig and see if it's available for the N900 or if something similar is coming for the N900. It's probably your best hope.
I did not have the time to build a Fremantle version of Erminig...and it will in any case sync only with GPE calendar and not the integrated one....

I'd love a way to get the internal calendar synced with googlecal. That would just be best thing since the N900's release (the sliced bread reference is overused imo).

Hint:

Export your calendar from google calendar,
Email yourself the ical file
Open the attachment, and your phone will ask to merge with what calendar
Do it every so often to get updated syncs.

Thats how I do it.

The Following User Says Thank You to Psymastr For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Psymastr View Post
Hint:

Export your calendar from google calendar,
Email yourself the ical file
Open the attachment, and your phone will ask to merge with what calendar
Do it every so often to get updated syncs.

Thats how I do it.
Thanks! I'll have to try that one. You could probably do it all on your phone since you can get to Google Calendar right in the browser...