Active Topics

Posts: 32 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Norway
Thanks.

Originally Posted by aboaboit View Post
If you come up with a working upstart version of the current initscript, you might want to file a bug also upstream (i.e., Debian) and attach your script. Not even Ubuntu ships OpenVPN with an upstart script, even though they use it already.
My mistake - network daemons are supposed to be started using /etc/network/if-up.d scripts now, see README.Debian. The Wifi/3G networks are not configured in interfaces, presumably NetworkManager, so I'm not sure whether one can just add a "iface gprs0" stanza without causing problems or whether there is a specific NetworkManager directory to use - I'll see if I can figure it out.

Posts: 415 | Thanked: 182 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Leeds UK
i would prefer an option in the applet to auto start openvpn if there is an active network connection, and disable if connection goes.
reason is if i am abroad where roaming applies and therefore i dont have network connectivity always, having openvpn bouncing all the time will drain battery uneccesarily wont it?

im sure that can be done cant it?

Posts: 32 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Norway
Originally Posted by deadmalc View Post
i would prefer an option in the applet to auto start openvpn if there is an active network connection, and disable if connection goes.
reason is if i am abroad where roaming applies and therefore i dont have network connectivity always, having openvpn bouncing all the time will drain battery uneccesarily wont it?
Well if there is no active connection then I assume openvpn will fail after pinging for a little while (ping/ping-exit options), then sleep for ping-restart seconds (defaults to 120) before reconnecting. I wouldn't assume that this will have a particularly large affect on the battery.

On the other hand IF openvpn is configured to use if-up.d/if-down.d then it should be stopped then restarted when a network connection goes up or down; which perhaps should be the default with or without the applet.

Posts: 152 | Thanked: 41 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Sydney
Originally Posted by mikkov View Post
Are you sure that just didn't look?

100% certain.
It's the first place I looked/expected it to be.

Originally Posted by DaveQB View Post
100% certain.
It's the first place I looked/expected it to be.
OK, it's possible, maybe there's still problems with python loader. There hasn't been any other reports and it's hard to investigate because if it happens, it happens only once.

Posts: 152 | Thanked: 41 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Sydney
Originally Posted by mikkov View Post
OK, it's possible, maybe there's still problems with python loader. There hasn't been any other reports and it's hard to investigate because if it happens, it happens only once.
No worries. I am not concerned and others wouldn't be either, especially if they are aware of this.

The reason I was a bit concerned was I selected to install the GUI only knowing apt would bring openvpn as a dependency. But when it didn't show I was worried dependency wasn't working on Maemo's apt.

But it is

I too had huge problems getting OpenVPN to appear in my status bar. Installed and uninstalled several times (and many reboots in between) but nothing. I just managed to get it to appear after a reinstall on top of the original and a reboot.

I have set up OpenVPN as well (just got my n900 last night).

Not sure what the applet does, didnt try installing it. But it works fine the normal way (terminal).

As for the openvpn vs ssh security thing, I think the OPPOSITE of what techdork said is true. SSH (unless you use encrypted pre-shared keys) is LESS secure than OpenVPN, which uses certificates by default. Password SSH is susceptible to snooping (at least during the handshake), and man-in-the-middle attacks (at least the first attempt at connecting is).

Anyone disagree?