Notices

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by fnordianslip View Post
Just so you know, I didn't write it myself. Thanks for the thanks though.
Could Jaysire's battery level tweak be included in the distribution?

It would rock!

SLN member # 009

Originally Posted by YoDude View Post
Could Jaysire's battery level tweak be included in the distribution?

It would rock!
Perhaps, or something like it. I didn't put any content in the default conky.conf that was accessible on the status bar, so that's why there's no battery info in it at the moment.

The other thing is that I'm not sure the way Jaysire's doing it at the moment is ideal, because that value from lshal doesn't seem to change during charging, and only updates a few seconds after the charger is unplugged. Perhaps some more logic is required in the helper script to determine charging status and report something slightly different through conky.

Still conky is all about personal customisation, although the idea with the default config is that it is useful to those who don't want to configure it themselves. So feel free to tweak your own conf file. If you do, you should keep a backup copy of it somewhere outside of /etc.

This brings me on to my first question to conky users. In the next package version, a launcher script will check for the existence of a user supplied conky.conf. Traditionally this will be in /home/user/.conky.conf or similar - somewhere where the default text editors will not see it.

Would users prefer to keep their own customised conky.conf in MyDocs instead, so they can edit it easily?
Agro ... : |#---------] Relic(s) : N900, MacBookPro, NSLU2, N800, SheevaPlug, Eee-901, Core2-Quad, PS3
"In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they're not."
--
Beware of extras-devel.

The Following User Says Thank You to fnordianslip For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA

...Would users prefer to keep their own customised conky.conf in MyDocs instead, so they can edit it easily?
Bingo! That would be ideal.

SLN member # 009

Posts: 716 | Thanked: 303 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Sheffield, UK
In the 10 minutes I have had Conky installed I already learned something interesting.

When my N900 is plugged into the PC it only drops the CPU as low as 500Mhz, but on battery it drops as low as 250Mhz. So while on charge the N900 should be more responsive than on battery.

I know its perfectly logical, but all the more reason I am surprised its configured this way. I am not used to things configured to perform logically.

I also learned the load applet does not seem very accurate, possibly due to updating too slowly. Conky reported a few second spike of 50% CPU but load applet never budged from 1 box.

Incidentally, does the N900 power management have the ability to probe the power usage? I used to find it interesting watching the milliamps fluctuate on my Windows Slowbile phone.

My Websites
CSD Projects - Flickr - UAE4Maemo (UAE4All Compatibility List)

Favourite N900 Applications
Picodrive - UAE4All

Please post your UAE4All compatibility reports. Even better, post them to my UAE4Maemo site!
Not sure how UAE4All works such as mouse emulation? Read the FAQ.

Last edited by Alex Atkin UK; 2009-12-19 at 00:37.

Originally Posted by Alex Atkin UK View Post
In the 10 minutes I have had Conky installed I already learned something interesting.

When my N900 is plugged into the PC it only drops the CPU as low as 500Mhz, but on battery it drops as low as 250Mhz. So while on charge the N900 should be more responsive than on battery.

I know its perfectly logical, but all the more reason I am surprised its configured this way. I am not used to things configured to perform logically.
Yea, I found that out too, though when it's plugged into the wall it will still go back down to 250mhz.

On another note, this may also be the reason why sometimes after unplugging my N900 from my PC I have less battery than when I had plugged it in. Its happened a few times.

Posts: 233 | Thanked: 170 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Finland
The other thing is that I'm not sure the way Jaysire's doing it at the moment is ideal, because that value from lshal doesn't seem to change during charging, and only updates a few seconds after the charger is unplugged. Perhaps some more logic is required in the helper script to determine charging status and report something slightly different through conky.
That is absolutely right. It's far from being an elegant solution now (but it's the only one we have, which is why I use it). I would say it's something that every user of Conky should implement by themselves on their N900 if they feel comfortable doing it. It involves a lot of Linux-tinkering for something that isn't even inherently the sensible way of doing it.

So my vote is to leave it out of Conky for now. Maybe someone will write a solution that can reliably extract the battery charge level at all times.

The Following User Says Thank You to jaysire For This Useful Post:
Posts: 716 | Thanked: 303 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Sheffield, UK
Originally Posted by jessi3k3 View Post
Yea, I found that out too, though when it's plugged into the wall it will still go back down to 250mhz.

On another note, this may also be the reason why sometimes after unplugging my N900 from my PC I have less battery than when I had plugged it in. Its happened a few times.
I was wondering if it might do that, its obviously to make Mass Storage and PC Suite modes more responsive then.

My Websites
CSD Projects - Flickr - UAE4Maemo (UAE4All Compatibility List)

Favourite N900 Applications
Picodrive - UAE4All

Please post your UAE4All compatibility reports. Even better, post them to my UAE4Maemo site!
Not sure how UAE4All works such as mouse emulation? Read the FAQ.

Posts: 299 | Thanked: 168 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ Wales UK
I've spent a couple of hours playing with this

Code:
# Conky, a system monitor, based on torsmo
#
# Any original torsmo code is licensed under the BSD license
#
# All code written since the fork of torsmo is licensed under the GPL
#
# Please see COPYING for details
#
# Copyright (c) 2004, Hannu Saransaari and Lauri Hakkarainen
# Copyright (c) 2005-2007 Brenden Matthews, Philip Kovacs, et. al. (see AUTHORS)
# All rights reserved.
#
# This program is free software: you can redistribute it and/or modify
# it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
# the Free Software Foundation, either version 3 of the License, or
# (at your option) any later version.
#
# This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
# but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
# MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the
# GNU General Public License for more details.
# You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License
# along with this program.  If not, see <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/>.
#
# $Id: conky.conf 1193 2008-06-21 20:37:58Z ngarofil $

alignment top_left
background no
maximum_width 800
border_width 1
cpu_avg_samples 2
default_color white
default_outline_color white
default_shade_color white
draw_borders no
draw_graph_borders yes
draw_outline no
draw_shades no
use_xft yes
xftfont Droid Sans Mono:size=11
xftalpha 0.8
double_buffer yes
gap_x 20
gap_y 60
minimum_size 5 5
net_avg_samples 2
no_buffers yes
out_to_console no
own_window yes
own_window_class Conky
own_window_type normal
own_window_transparent yes
own_window_hints below,sticky
stippled_borders 0
update_interval 3.0
uppercase no
use_spacer none
show_graph_scale no
show_graph_range no

TEXT
$alignc $nodename - $sysname $kernel on $machine ${color yellow}Uptime:$color $uptime
${color ff8a00}$stippled_hr
${color yellow}Frequency:$color  $freq MHz             $alignc ${color yellow}Load:$color $loadavg      $alignr  ${color yellow}Processes:$color $processes  ${color yellow}Running:$color $running_processes
${color yellow}CPU Usage:$color${goto 110}$cpu% ${goto 350}${color red}${cpubar 10}
${color yellow}CPU:${color black}${cpugraph 16,300 ff0000 ff0000}${color yellow} Lo:${color black}${loadgraph 1 16,105 ffe400 ffe400}${color yellow} Dio:${color black}${diskiograph /dev/mmcblk0 16,105 00ff00 00ff00}${color yellow} Mem:${color black}${memgraph 16,105 ff0000 ff0000}
${color yellow}RAM  Usage:$color${goto 110}$mem${goto 190}| $memmax${goto 310}$memperc%${goto 350}${color green}${membar 10}
${color yellow}Swap Usage:$color${goto 110}$swap${goto 190}| $swapmax${goto 310}$swapperc%${goto 350}${color green}${swapbar 10}
${color yellow}rootfs${goto 110}$color${fs_free /}${goto 190}| ${fs_size /} ${color grey}${goto 310}free${goto 350}${color green}${fs_bar 10 /}
${color yellow}home${goto 110}$color${fs_free /home}${goto 190}| ${fs_size /home} ${color grey}${goto 310}free${goto 350}${color green}${fs_bar 10 /home}
${color yellow}MyDocs${goto 110}$color${fs_free /home/user/MyDocs}${goto 190}| ${fs_size /home/user/MyDocs} ${color grey}${goto 310}free${goto 350}${color green}${fs_bar 10 /home/user/MyDocs}
${color yellow}mmc1${goto 110}$color${fs_free /media/mmc1}${goto 190}| ${fs_size /media/mmc1} ${color grey}${goto 310}free${goto 350}${color green}${fs_bar 10 /media/mmc1}
${if_up gprs0}${color yellow}gprs0: ${color yellow}Up:$color ${upspeed gprs0} kB/s${color grey} - ${color yellow}Down:$color ${downspeed gprs0} kB/s
${color yellow}Up: ${color black}${upspeedgraph gprs0 20,320 ff0000 00ff00}${color yellow} Down: ${color black}${downspeedgraph gprs0 20,320 00ff0000 ff0000}$endif${if_up wlan0}${color yellow}wlan0 ESSID: $color${wireless_essid wlan0} ${color yellow}Connection Quality: $color${wireless_link_qual_perc wlan0}% ${color yellow}Up:$color ${upspeed wlan0} kB/s ${color grey} - ${color yellow}Down:$color ${downspeed wlan0} kB/s 
${color yellow}Up: ${color black}${downspeedgraph wlan0 20,320 00ff00 ff0000}${color yellow} Down: ${color black}${upspeedgraph wlan0 20,320 ff0000 00ff00}$endif
${color lightgrey}Name                  PID   CPU%   MEM%
${color #ff6000} ${top name 1}    ${top pid 1} ${top cpu 1} ${top mem 1}
${color #ffa800} ${top name 2}    ${top pid 2} ${top cpu 2} ${top mem 2}
${color #fffc2a} ${top name 3}    ${top pid 3} ${top cpu 3} ${top mem 3}
${color #24ff00} ${top name 4}    ${top pid 4} ${top cpu 4} ${top mem 4}
Added some colour, Lined everything up and added a Loadgraph Diskiograph and Memgraph plus swaps between gprs0 and wlan0 both with up and down graphs.

Rick

Edit: swapped upspeed and downspeed ( thanks Fnordianslip )
Attached Images

Agro ... : |##--------] Relic(s) : 770,N800,eee

Last edited by rcull; 2009-12-21 at 06:33.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to rcull For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by rcull View Post
Awesome dude. I'm sure your config will be popular.

I've made a few tweaks in the default conf for build 1.0 which I've just pushed up to the autobuilder and which I plan to push through to extras (when it gets enough votes to go through testing) but they mostly tidy up what is already there and fix some corner cases, such as network interfaces being inactive and MyDocs or mmc1 being unmounted.

The new package launches conky with with /home/user/MyDocs/conky.conf if it exists, otherwise reverts to using /etc/conky/conky.conf.

Keep a back up of your conf in preparation for the forthcoming new package.
Agro ... : |#---------] Relic(s) : N900, MacBookPro, NSLU2, N800, SheevaPlug, Eee-901, Core2-Quad, PS3
"In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they're not."
--
Beware of extras-devel.

Originally Posted by rcull View Post
That's freaking awesome
thanks

Tags
conky