Poll: Does your N900 have GPS problems?
Poll Options
Does your N900 have GPS problems?

I did have a GPS problem for a few days then it started working again - it's back to pretty much instant lock after loading Ovi Maps.

Originally Posted by minty09 View Post
Anyone had a problem transfering contacts from a device onto the n900, i keep trying to import contacts from blackberry via bluetooth and have followed the screen promts but it keeps saying FAILED
Try to emty your trusted devices list had the same problem with the N70 although i set the device to trusted it didnt store in the list because it was full hope it works for you..

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Originally Posted by Fargus View Post
I do think that quite a few people are put off with having to create another account to post bug entries though. Not sure how this would be worked around though unless we have a controlled posting page on Maemo.org?
Single Sign-on is comint to maemo.org but in the meantime I'm happily following this thread for those with GPS problems that feel lazy about starting with bugs.maemo.org.

Still no significant feedback from testers willing to follow the simple steps described few posts above. Someone in the bug report says that it's just me having luck. Getting a few more people following the steps would help figuring out whether it is indeed luck or there is a pattern here.

joenix, I followed your steps and I got a lock within 2 minutes... but then again I was getting them before as well. It would be sueful that user not getting unassisted locks at all would try that, yes.

Hi Everybody! Finally it happened i switched to T-mobile couple hours ago now i have full 3G in my place. when with AT&T barely even had a 2G. Now about GPS just checked it (first time on T-mobile) and it had problem to locate but after about 5 min it exactly found the location.Then i tested again few times and it was perfect.

Posts: 589 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ london
why do u only get one carrier that offers 3g.. every carrier in uk and probally europe offer it

Originally Posted by mysticrokks View Post
why do u only get one carrier that offers 3g.. every carrier in uk and probally europe offer it
The USA has adopted competing via IP (imaginary property) instead of competing via service, price, and enhancements on top of standards.

I read about the gps searching for only a few minutes and then turning off. Here's what I do to get a satelite lock using only the internal gps;

-open ovi maps
-cancel select connection
-go back to home screen and mind the gps status indicator, which does stop blinking and disappears after a couple of minutes
-go back into maps and cancel select connection again
-the home screen will show a blinking gps status indicator
-I usually get a gps lock on the third time I go back into the maps app

I've also downloaded my location maps via the map loader but have not tried using the gps while driving.

It takes roughly 5 minutes to get a satellite lock. What I did notice is that after getting a gps lock the N900 stays locked on. It may disconnect, but resumes gps lock after a couple of seconds.

In comparison, my N95 would take about 10 minutes to get a satellite lock.

The Following User Says Thank You to Death Scythe For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
Can you please follow these steps:

0. SIM card inserted.
1. Settings - Location - Network positioning ENABLED
2. Settings - Internet connection - Connect automatically ALWAYS ASK
3. Settings - Phone - Data roaming ALWAYS ASK
4. Settings - Phone - Data counter - write down values or CLEAR
5. Start Ovi Maps.
6. Cancel all requests to connect or download data.

How long does it take to get a coarse lock? You can even try indoors.

If you are outside, how much extra time is needed to get a fine accurate lock? Check the location status area plugin if you can't see it clearly with Ovi Maps.

Report results here or, even better, at https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=7026

EDIT: see https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=7026#c25

Thank you!
Starting Ovi maps seems to override 2. Settings - Internet connection - Connect automatically ALWAYS ASK which scares me a little. No connection window pops up it just starts to connect to my wifi.

Posts: 589 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ london
"The USA has adopted competing via IP (imaginary property) instead of competing via service, price, and enhancements on top of standards."

thats backwards, i was so surprised when i first heard this. you guys must be pulling your hair out half the time..

Posts: 1 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ preveza greece
i have a problem with my gps i cant locate gps singal and the picture satellite
in the map who shows the singal has an / can you help me?