Posts: 93 | Thanked: 30 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Sydney, Australia
One thing that annoys me about the N900/Maemo5 is that if I am swiping left or right to switch to the next desktop, if I happen to lift my finger off too soon (ie not swiped far enough left or right) then the current desktop that was starting to scroll under my finger snaps back to its original place and I have to start the swiping gesture again.

Clearly, the OS knew I was trying to switch desktops as it had started to scroll the desktop under my finger. I wish the behaviour was that once it starts scrolling the desktop under your finger, then it will just complete the desktop switch, rather than assuming that because I lifted off too soon, I must have changed my mind about switching desktops.

If I really did mean not to switch desktops, I can just swipe back to the previous desktop. I will have to do this far less than often than the number of times each day I currently have to repeat my switch desktops gesture because of a "poor" swipe.

Should I file a Brainstorm for this ?

The Following User Says Thank You to Zelig87 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 76 | Thanked: 33 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Portland, Or
Personally I love it the way it is, coming from android which does the same thing I am used to it. There have been pleanty of times I have began switching desktops only to realize what I'm looking for is on the current one. I also don't find it too difficult to drag it 26 precent of the way across.

Last edited by ohwut; 2009-12-24 at 08:55.

Posts: 3,203 | Thanked: 1,391 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Worthing, England
Originally Posted by Zelig87 View Post
One thing that annoys me about the N900/Maemo5 is that if I am swiping left or right to switch to the next desktop, if I happen to lift my finger off too soon (ie not swiped far enough left or right) then the current desktop that was starting to scroll under my finger snaps back to its original place and I have to start the swiping gesture again.

Clearly, the OS knew I was trying to switch desktops as it had started to scroll the desktop under my finger. I wish the behaviour was that once it starts scrolling the desktop under your finger, then it will just complete the desktop switch, rather than assuming that because I lifted off too soon, I must have changed my mind about switching desktops.

If I really did mean not to switch desktops, I can just swipe back to the previous desktop. I will have to do this far less than often than the number of times each day I currently have to repeat my switch desktops gesture because of a "poor" swipe.

Should I file a Brainstorm for this ?
That's an interesting one Zelig.... As sometimes i press a bit heavy and don't mean to slide - also a friend who has altzeimers(Never been able to spell it properly) has this issue. in the main he's fine but does start sliding instead of pressing, sometimes.

I think some user testing on distance would be an interesting one - i personally, quite like the over-extended swipe - it's a bit like turning a page on a book

Good post though - would be interested to hear what others have to say.

Posts: 233 | Thanked: 170 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by noobmonkey View Post
also a friend who has altzeimers(Never been able to spell it properly) has this issue. in the main he's fine but does start sliding instead of pressing, sometimes.
You sure your friend doesn't have Parkinson's?

Posts: 3,203 | Thanked: 1,391 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Worthing, England
Originally Posted by jaysire View Post
You sure your friend doesn't have Parkinson's?
Lol - can you tell it was early - think i'm getting altzeimers! - scary thing is i work for the NHS (Don't worry everyone, not in 1st line healthcare lol!)

The Following User Says Thank You to noobmonkey For This Useful Post:
Swipe scrolling is always a problem for me, especially in web browser, hope there is an easier option, on screen click or mapped hardware keys. I think it's a good idea to map volume key to up/down arrow, currently it's zoom function. Think about is, one usually only need zoom once at a page, but need quite a lot scrolling up and down...