Active Topics

just downloaded 5 free e-books (in PDF) from Wowio.com

I got 5 Kurt Vonnegut books for free!

Only problem is, when I try to open a book with the native pdf reader, I get this message:

Unable to open. File format not supported.

On my PC the properties of the files say they Adobe Acrobat 7.0 documents.
I have opened another pdf file (not a book) that also says it's a Adobe Acrobat 7.0 document.

Any idea why I can't open these books?
Neil

Originally Posted by nspeer View Post
just downloaded 5 free e-books (in PDF) from Wowio.com

I got 5 Kurt Vonnegut books for free!

Only problem is, when I try to open a book with the native pdf reader, I get this message:

Unable to open. File format not supported.

On my PC the properties of the files say they Adobe Acrobat 7.0 documents.
I have opened another pdf file (not a book) that also says it's a Adobe Acrobat 7.0 document.

Any idea why I can't open these books?
Neil

I should add that I am using a 770 with latest 2006 OS

HI,

Have you tried using Evince (on your N770) to open those books? If you have PDF Writer, perhaps you can save them to a lower Adobe PDF version and try.

Luke

First of all, thanks for brining wowio too my attention!
As for why the PDF will not work - The wowio FAQ says:

You can read WOWIO ebooks on any device that will run Acrobat Reader. Note, however, that WOWIO ebooks can not be read by reader software using 40-bit encryption, which includes Documents To Go on Palm devices.

----

I am assuming this is the limiting factor. Is anyone aware of a PDF reader for n770 that supports encryption?

Originally Posted by luketoh View Post
HI,

Have you tried using Evince (on your N770) to open those books? If you have PDF Writer, perhaps you can save them to a lower Adobe PDF version and try.

Luke
Just installed the latest version of Evince. Same problem. The first time I tried to open the ebook, Evince error message said it could not open the document. All subsequent times I try to open it, nothing happens...no error message, just a blank (grey) screen where the document should open.

Originally Posted by nspeer View Post
Just installed the latest version of Evince. Same problem. The first time I tried to open the ebook, Evince error message said it could not open the document. All subsequent times I try to open it, nothing happens...no error message, just a blank (grey) screen where the document should open.
The error message specifically: "Unable to open document. Failed to load document (error 3) 'file:///media/mmc1/e-books/BraveNewWorld_42799.pdf'

I doubt you will be able to view them with an open source PDF viewer. I just downloaded a couple and they were made with one of Adobe's PDF makers.

If you really want these books, you can look for a text file copy and make your own PDFs with OpenOffice.

Posts: 14 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Seattle, WA
Hm, strange. I'm have the N800 and I also downloaded a Vonnegut book from wowio and have been reading it with the default pdf reader. I didn't do anything special, I just downloaded from the link they sent me in email. Maybe your file is corrupt? Have you tried downloading it again?

Originally Posted by vimcat View Post
Hm, strange. I'm have the N800 and I also downloaded a Vonnegut book from wowio and have been reading it with the default pdf reader. I didn't do anything special, I just downloaded from the link they sent me in email. Maybe your file is corrupt? Have you tried downloading it again?

DOH! Silly me. I downloaded another book and it did indeed open just fine in native PDF viewer. THanks!
Neil

Oh and BTW, I think Evince is a much better way to read PDF e-books than the native viewer. It lets you scroll the books pages in full screen mode by using the hard "scroll down" button on the 770 (800 also?). Much easier and no stylus needed.