Active Topics

Posts: 1,885 | Thanked: 2,008 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ OVI MAPS
Originally Posted by OrangeBox View Post
whoever wins the heart (and $$$) of Americans will dominate.
really?
symbian as dominated for years without ever winning over america and its set for a massive overhaul in 2010 to make it even more so appealing.

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
And lastly, whoever wins the heart (and $$$) of Americans will dominate.
thanks for this. now we all can be 110% sure that you can be ignored and the outcome will be positive (read: less false data from the internets)
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

Banned | Posts: 291 | Thanked: 42 times | Joined on Dec 2009
Originally Posted by NvyUs View Post
really?
symbian as dominated for years without ever winning over america and its set for a massive overhaul in 2010 to make it even more so appealing.
I disagree. Symbian is not a smartphone OS. The N95 with v3 doesn't come close to 3G and N97 with v5 is no match to 3GS. The UI is dated, the browser is no match to Safari.

Posts: 319 | Thanked: 289 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Lisboa, Portugal
People who would't want the vendor lock-in (more precisely vendor addiction) can choose to be sheep in Steve Jobs' herd. It is good to belong. It is good to have stability and usability at the expense of reduced complexity. The mass populace will line up buying these devices for the foreseeable future.
Agreed... But lets not forget that the same way Apple disrupted the industry with iPhone, Nokia has the same chance in doing so when M6 comes out... Everything is lining in this direction,Qt+Ovi, and IMHO they have a very good chance in regaining the lost ground when M6 eventually comes out. Of course, other vendors are not standing still and Nokia is taking forever to implement the changes... So everything better come out clean and fast.

Maemo while a good concept is just another linux distro. Without Nokia's proprietary code it counts for not too much. Same is true for Android, however it has already been customized by third parties. Maemo is like iPhone OS: *nix based with proprietary code that no other company but the originator will modify.
Hmm.. Same can be said about Symbian but still vendors tried doing that and it worked very well for some time.

Nokia maybe has interest in seeing other vendors adopting Maemo and for sure, if it is their intention, it will provide help.

Dunno if you saw, but there is a device in France, if I am not mistaken, that already uses Maemo. Modified UI but still...
http://www.engadget.com/2009/12/08/o...hy-video-revi/

So no one actually knows how this will play out... Nokia mentioned that was caught by surprise with the amount of positive reaction about Maemo and I bet they are studying all the possibilities in broadening the installed base.

At the end I believe that Google will take the price. It has deep pockets, can choose to invest billions into getting advertising platforms into the hands of future Google phone users.
Google has advantage because of the deep pockets yes.. But that is not everything. Microsoft has even bigger and look the mess WinMo is right now. Empires rise and fall...

I read some posts about users also flocking out from Android development because of some dodgy restrictions...

Ultimately, Google will give away these phones for free. Then it will provide free data services. It will disrupt the whole industry, much like the iPhone did it in 2007.
If this Nexus One is, indeed, built by Google like many sources are saying this wont be seen as a good thing by its partners.

Hmm, on the long run I see Maemo x Android...

Originally Posted by ossipena View Post
thanks for this. now we all can be 110% sure that you can be ignored and the outcome will be positive (read: less false data from the internets)
Please give me an example of long running successful companies that could afford to ignore the US market. Even musicians and actors make it big in Hollywood although the world market outside of the US is 80 percent bigger.

Last edited by OrangeBox; 2009-12-26 at 22:23.

Posts: 1,885 | Thanked: 2,008 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ OVI MAPS
i love it when people dont even understand what symbian is and immedietley say its old when in fact what they are talking about is s60 which is just a interface layer sitting on top of symbian same as UIQ and that japanese solution.
coincidently all 3 no longer exist b/c they have become one by being contributed to Symbian foundation unifying the platform and making it open source. we are set to see a new UI by the end of 2010

Last edited by NvyUs; 2009-12-26 at 22:43.

Please give me an example of long running successful companies that could afford to ignore the US market. Even musicians and actors make it big in Hollywood although the world market outside of the US is 80 percent bigger.
DoCoMo?
British Telecom?
Gaz Prom?
Tata Motors?

Would you also like a list of actors and musicians who've made it huge without the American market too?

Posts: 1,028 | Thanked: 578 times | Joined on Mar 2009 @ Chicago
Originally Posted by wizbowes View Post

Would you also like a list of actors and musicians who've made it huge without the American market too?
I would, I'm sure I've never heard of them.

I don't get why everyone is giving this guy a hard time. He makes badass guitar amps.

http://www.orangeamps.com/

Great response. Thank you.

Originally Posted by HangLoose View Post
Agreed... But lets not forget that the same way Apple disrupted the industry with iPhone, Nokia has the same chance in doing so when M6 comes out... Everything is lining in this direction,Qt+Ovi, and IMHO they have a very good chance in regaining the lost ground when M6 eventually comes out. Of course, other vendors are not standing still and Nokia is taking forever to implement the changes... So everything better come out clean and fast.
Agreed. Unfortunately though the next 2 years will decide the long term winners and losers. Technological platform changes are not what customers need and want. Whoever manage to create enough momentum and create a huge enough customer base for smart phones will survive. Nokia is great at catering to every market segment, but not all segments are equally profitable. IMO Nokia should cut its whole S40 division with the exception of its 5 most popular models, same with S60. Then concentrate its effort in the high end segment. If it wants to be a technological pioneer all those breakthrougs will come there not at the low end.

Dunno if you saw, but there is a device in France, if I am not mistaken, that already uses Maemo. Modified UI but still...
http://www.engadget.com/2009/12/08/o...hy-video-revi/
Thnaks for the link.

So no one actually knows how this will play out... Nokia mentioned that was caught by surprise with the amount of positive reaction about Maemo and I bet they are studying all the possibilities in broadening the installed base.
Agreed.

Google has advantage because of the deep pockets yes.. But that is not everything. Microsoft has even bigger and look the mess WinMo is right now. Empires rise and fall...
Well, for MS it never was a strategic goal. It was more like a pet project. For Google it's life (expansion) or death (stagnation).

I read some posts about users also flocking out from Android development because of some dodgy restrictions...
Could be, but it gains new developers too. Same must be true for Maemo, but I bet that Symbian is getting less and less interesting for would be developers, especially that Nokia itself seems to be at a loss wrto its future.

If this Nexus One is, indeed, built by Google like many sources are saying this wont be seen as a good thing by its partners.

Hmm, on the long run I see Maemo x Android...
And can you please explain you reasons as to why the iPhone will not be at the finals?

Originally Posted by wizbowes View Post
DoCoMo?
British Telecom?
Gaz Prom?
Tata Motors?

Sorry, forgot to mention that state sanctioned monoplies (oligopolies) don't count.

Tags
fun for bored posters, troll, y2k