Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 1,684 | Thanked: 1,562 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Austin, TX
Originally Posted by fms View Post
I generally ignore navel-gazing matters when I need to solve a concrete problem.
By bringing up my view on things, I was trying to discuss how possible ways of "solv[ing] concrete problems" might hurt everyone else. I am sorry I was not clear enough of why I thought it was important to take a step back and say "do we really want the consequences of the solution?"

To keep this in prospective, I am a heavy user of FBReader and I still drag my n810 around *just* for FBReader but I do not want it rushed into Extras with issues breaking either Nokia's trust in making Extras available by default or confusing end-users and creating a stigma that this is a platform only for geeks.

Originally Posted by fms View Post
Still, I distinctly remember a t.m.o thread where MishaS said that he would prefer not to make libzlibrary part of fbreader package, citing another applicaiton depending on it. I would like to respect that, at least until forced to do otherwise
Originally Posted by qwerty12 View Post
Agreed. It's the right thing to do. At the very least - if you merge it - you'll bring in complications like dpkg trying to overwrite files in another package. As you will know, there are ways around that but it's stupid trying to implement them as I, too, believe they should be kept separate.
I can understand and agree with respecting MishaS sentiments at least till we have a full grasp on the issue.

I'm curious what others think. In general, at what point should reused code be a library?

The Following User Says Thank You to epage For This Useful Post:
Posts: 258 | Thanked: 144 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Edinburgh
did some one not say touch screen worked as defualt. as if it is im doing somthing wrong, but ive only just installed it

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by pelago View Post
What I'm not quite sure about is what happens if there is a new version of the library. As it won't show up in HAM, presumably it also won't show up when the user is notified about updates, so the user won't be able to update it. Is this correct?
As with all other libraries that aren't in user/*, they're upgraded when a package that is visible is updated with a newer version in its Depends.

Hello,
How can I add new font for FBreader . I want to read some vietnamese .prc book but fbreader dont recognize the font .
On my computer in "Styles" ---> ""Family" I much choice "Times New Roman" to read my vietnamese book but there are no Time new roman with fbreader in the N900

Edit : it works for me with the Droid Sherif font

Last edited by soleil; 2009-12-24 at 16:27.

OK sorry to be a pest. but can some one confirm that clickin gon screen should turn pages in the testing install. and if it does point me to what i might be doing wrong as i just cant get it to work

just go to preferences -> scrolling -> tap on large scrollings, you should see a drop down menu, go to tap scrollings, set msecs @ 100-500, select scrolling mode (i use no overlapping) and make sure scroll on finger tap only is *unchecked*.

now tapping on the (relative) top and bottom halves of the screen should result in page back and page forward respectively. however, use a stylus or your fingernail because pressing with the pad of your finger won't work. also, make sure your taps are deliberate (ie, don't draw a line with the stylus). press and release. and it should scroll.

takes some practice to get used to and it's not 100% reliable unless you use a stylus, which is wy i've switch to using the volume rocker for scrolling

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sierrafoxtrot For This Useful Post:
i am sorry if it has been asked/mentioned before but is it using the accelerometer to change pages etc?

Originally Posted by sierrafoxtrot View Post
just go to preferences -> scrolling -> tap on large scrollings, you should see a drop down menu, go to tap scrollings, set msecs @ 100-500, select scrolling mode (i use no overlapping) and make sure scroll on finger tap only is *unchecked*.

now tapping on the (relative) top and bottom halves of the screen should result in page back and page forward respectively. however, use a stylus or your fingernail because pressing with the pad of your finger won't work. also, make sure your taps are deliberate (ie, don't draw a line with the stylus). press and release. and it should scroll.

takes some practice to get used to and it's not 100% reliable unless you use a stylus, which is wy i've switch to using the volume rocker for scrolling

Cheers.
It must just be me.

i cant get it to work at all. Welll not stricktly true. if i tap like a woodpecker i might sometimes get it to change page.

Otherwise im pretty happy as a mobi pocket replacement.
Not been reading as much as it the Holidays, but im really looking forward to getting stuck in, and im sure i'll live with keyboard and vol controls.

and hope that future versions bring a simpler tap scrolling

NEWSFLASH NEWSFLASH

Ive got it working fairly consistantly even with my finger

In the preferences i had the minimum stylus pressure at 0 and max at 100. changing the minimum stylus presure to 20 (10 also seemed ok) really made a difference. Now seems to move forward and back (not that im so fussed with back) with ease

Last edited by cgarvie; 2009-12-28 at 13:58.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to cgarvie For This Useful Post:
Since im playing around with it and cant seem to find a manual.

The little toggle off full screen symbol appears every time you tap screen
i see i can turn it off but then i got stuck and had to kill it off. So i set a key to do it (ok but not quite what i want)

can i either reduce the desplay time of the symbol from 5s to 2s or can i make it a bit smaller?

cheers again

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Sorry, I'm slightly confused here

The header says this build is in Extras-Devel, but I found FBreader in Extras-Testing, is that a different version?

Is this version one that searches for books out on the Net, or an older version? The one in Testing seemed not to have that feature.