Posts: 41 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Kirkland, WA
Just wanted to say that I did the permanent fix and I have't rebooted in almost six days (which is before I did the fix) so it's been rock solid. I definitely recommend doing the permanent fix. Thanks bsving!

The Following User Says Thank You to gravis86 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,255 | Thanked: 393 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ US
Funny thing is I thought the reboot issues were "self imposed" until I got my second N900 and it started random reboots without any app installs. The second one rebooted over a dozen times for the time that I used it and that was mainly just to compare two N900's for 2G signal in "low bar" areas.

Well, at last this particular issue is as good as confirmet to be fixed:
https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=6334

The really "funny" thing is that the Droid is having similar problems, just google "droid random reboot" or look here:
https://supportforums.motorola.com/t...6AC4AC97.node0

One theory is (by Nokia) that the Omap3 processor is not well adapted to the newest Linux kernals, or the other way around So, for all practical purposes this IS indeed a software bug. I mean, it looks like the problem is essentially that the newest Linux kernels are not robust enough to handle the natural spread in specs of the Omap3 processor regarding power management.

Last edited by bsving; 2009-12-28 at 19:39.

Posts: 819 | Thanked: 806 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Oxnard, Ca.
There are three or four types of reboot problems.

The Nokia tech guy on that bug said this:
"This bug contains many different reboot issues.

One set of issues is system service crashes. These seems to be quite rare in
this bug though.

Another set is crashes when the device is heavily used. This could be memory
management related issue (e.g. between CPU, GPU and DSP, they all can change
the memory mappings).

One set seems to be related to power management (device wakeup from sleep) and
happening more often on some specific devices, but it may be more of a slight
difference in how they behave than "hardware bug"[1].

Last set seems to be related to networking and an Oops in network related
functionality. This may be something that triggers based on what kind of a
network environment one has or traffic that network has.

Most of them so far seem to be triggering randomly, but that doesn't mean that
it would be a HW issue. Things that depend on power management, memory
management, network environment, timings etc on the kernel side, may get
triggered seemingly randomly when the device has as complex HW and SW
interactions as what e.g. N900 has.

The important thing is to check what kind of reboot is in the question; sw_rst
or 32wd_to, whether former was because of a critical system service
termination, or whether they were because of some specific kernel oops, or
whether 32wd_to was just due to device freezing (without Oops being logged) and
provide the information in which kind of situations these happen and steps
leading to it.

Based on that information from all of you, we can then try to come up with
specific steps where some *specific* reboot cause can be nearly always be
triggered within reasonable time (say 15 mins). After that finding the cause
for the bug and fixing it becomes much easier.
"

Also I want to say to all you guys.
Pull your battery out and check the contact pins on the battery.

On my N95 8gb I bought a cheap oversized Chinese mass manufactured battery from ebay and I get a reboot whenever I tap it too hard or jar it too hard because the contact pins on the battery spread apart as time goes on and a jolt will disconnect those two from pressing snuggly on each power terminal inside the phone.
Take a safety pin or thumb tack and press those two slightly together in all 3 slots so they will be more snug if you are getting reboot when you jar the phone or tap it on the back side.
I noticed the contact pins on my N900 battery move too much too easily from side to side when I adjusted them with the thumb tac for my peace of mind but they still seem to look like they will snug against the power terminals inside the phone.

Also I want to say that when you get your N900 and hook it up to your computer in mass storage mode don't create any folders or files on it that look similar to the ones that are there already on the N900.

If you're gonna stick stuff on it in mass storage mode make sure you put it in a directory that is very easy to remember (probably called your name or something like that) and has nothing to do with any of maemos folders or directories until we get the reboots figured out.

Don't create directories or folders like tmp usr bin images...
just type file: into the browser and you see all those folders there?
.dev, bin, boot, etc, dev all that stuff.... don't make any directories that have those names.
Why confuse the device?

I just created a constant annoying reboot issue by trying to install mojopac which put about 6 directories on the N900 that had folders that look very similar to folders already on the N900 and I'm sure it had a bunch of files with the same names or similar to maemo folders and names then I started installing apps after that and that's when i got constant reboot issues related to multi tasking.

I had to uninstall every app after that, that i had installed and erase every folder that i put on the N900 in mass storage mode from trying to stick mojopac on it and then i had to take the battery out and check contact pins and then put it back in and finally now my multi tasking or high cpu usage causes reboot is gone.
I can multi-task again. MY device is back.

Last edited by aironeous; 2009-12-29 at 05:23.

The bug (6334) concerns problems with a watchdog timer. It will reboot straight out of the box with no additional apps installed. Bootreason is allways 32wd_to and to disable "deep sleep" will make it rock stable, as will connecting it to a PC with a USB cable, while using a charger will not.

What you are experiencing is completely different, and not related to the watchdog timer.

I was reading the bug report yesterday, and I may have interpreted it incorrectly, but I understood it as "deep sleep" won't be disabled, it will just be handled properly. At least I hope it's so. I would imagine that disabling the chipset's "deep sleep" feature would reduce its power saving (and thus battery lifetime) capabilities.

Originally Posted by TA-t3 View Post
I was reading the bug report yesterday, and I may have interpreted it incorrectly, but I understood it as "deep sleep" won't be disabled, it will just be handled properly. At least I hope it's so. I would imagine that disabling the chipset's "deep sleep" feature would reduce its power saving (and thus battery lifetime) capabilities.
Disabling deep sleep will indeed reduce battery life, but the device can be used normally. So this fix is only a temporary work around. The real fix will not reduce battery life, but make the device work as expected (deep sleep enabled). But this fix is currently only tested at Nokia labs, and not available yet.

The Following User Says Thank You to bsving For This Useful Post:
Hi bsving,
I was reading through all your posts and I think you could possibly provide a solution to my reboot problem in N900. My N900 reboots right out of the box. The problem is, once I switch it on - it constantly keeps swtching off and on every 5 secs which makes it impossible for me to even navigate through the menu screens.

I read your post which said "The bug (6334) concerns problems with a watchdog timer. It will reboot straight out of the box with no additional apps installed. Bootreason is allways 32wd_to and to disable "deep sleep" will make it rock stable, as will connecting it to a PC with a USB cable, while using a charger will not."

However I'm not sure on how to disable "deep sleep". Any suggestion or solution would be of great help to me. Thanks!

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by julian167 View Post
Hi bsving,
I was reading through all your posts and I think you could possibly provide a solution to my reboot problem in N900. My N900 reboots right out of the box. The problem is, once I switch it on - it constantly keeps swtching off and on every 5 secs which makes it impossible for me to even navigate through the menu screens.

I read your post which said "The bug (6334) concerns problems with a watchdog timer. It will reboot straight out of the box with no additional apps installed. Bootreason is allways 32wd_to and to disable "deep sleep" will make it rock stable, as will connecting it to a PC with a USB cable, while using a charger will not."

However I'm not sure on how to disable "deep sleep". Any suggestion or solution would be of great help to me. Thanks!
1. check your battery contacts.

2. read this thread from the beginning

3. ????

4. profit
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

Originally Posted by julian167 View Post
Hi bsving,

Go to the first post in this thread, the info is there. Keep it connected with the USB charger. If it still reboots while connected with a USB, then you don't have the problem that this fix gives a work around for.