Posts: 337 | Thanked: 283 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ NYC
Strongly agree with "4" (screen size), "9" (TV-out), and "13" (battery).

My 2 cents on "1" (capacitive) -- apes evolved when they started using tools instead of bare hands...

Don't care at all about the rest...

Originally Posted by fatalsaint View Post
That would be kind of cool... then software could control which set of symbols it will activate.

Although I see that being a little confusing for new users....

"Wait so.. if I'm in here this does that.. over it does that.. but what if I want that other thing?!? HALP!"

Granted.. that will happen regardless .
Is that like the E-ink keys on the Samsung Alias 2?

Those keys whilst hardware, are also contextual keys. They change from portrait/landscape as well as functions, from letters/numbers/symbols. Being e-ink they only consume power when they're changing.

e.g. Open phone mode (portrait) keys become 1-9
Open text editor you get letters
Open games you get a d-pad etc etc

Originally Posted by shapeshifter View Post
It's not like numbers are being used all the time.
I disagree.

The Following User Says Thank You to j.s For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ruskie View Post
15 hmm hard to disagree with that other than having a screen protector/privacy guard fill the role
I can not imagine how the bezel on the current n900 could interefere with finger swiping at all. It is well clear of any part of the active display area.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to j.s For This Useful Post:
Posts: 337 | Thanked: 283 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ NYC
Originally Posted by j.s View Post
I disagree.
I 2nd that. I, 4 1, use numbers a gr8 deal of time. (2n) this thread could not be named without "15". Not having dedic8ed number keys on the n900 is a bit (2n+1).

Last edited by Sopwith; 2009-12-28 at 17:58.

The Following User Says Thank You to Sopwith For This Useful Post:
Posts: 543 | Thanked: 181 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Universe,LocalCluster.MilkyWay.Sol.Earth.Europe.Slovenia.Ljubljana
Hmm a touchscreen eink row would be nice there. With a quick button to switch it to whichever mode is available.

Of cours it won't be the hw features or the high price that will keep me away from the next device. It'll be the DRM crap.

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by texaslabrat View Post
Nope, the pipe is still a virtual key selection from the symbols menu.
At least though, in Maemo 5 there's only one "page" of virtual keys, so there's no longer a multi-page hunt involved.

The Following User Says Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Posts: 258 | Thanked: 144 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Edinburgh
Oh id hate to lose the resistive screen. I didnt know the difference when i first went looking for a new device. I could see some advantages of capacitive over resistive (but also vice versa). But i really could not understand the resistive hate there was out there. I love the resistive screen on the n900. Works wonderfully, i often toggle between finger and stylus. I really cant see anything capacitive would offer me, and enought that i dont want to lose.

The Following User Says Thank You to cgarvie For This Useful Post:
Add a jog dial or something similar to scroll !

I'm a former iPhone 3G user and the whole resistive/capacitive display thing doesn't seem to be too big a deal to me. I have to "press harder" on my Nokia than I do the iPhone, but once I had that "figured out" it is just as sensitive.

That said, the rest of the list is good, but to be honest makes me feel like sending my N900 back. It seems people are really concentrating on the future, of Maemo6 and the "next" device which is supposed to be the "Wow" factor for regular folk. I just paid $550 for this xmas present to myself and I'd like to feel that it will "last" for some time. Android devices get better with every new iteration of the OS, and I really hope that the N900 won't get left in the dust. Consumers simply won't accept it if their state-of-the-art phone doesn't get newer and better features- new patches and entire versions of the OS so I think it will behoove Nokia and the Maemo community to start thinking differently. As much as it bothers me to make a comparison with Apple, even they ensured that the old original iPhone can run the newest 3.0 firmware without a hitch.

I really hope that there will be a lot of development for the N900, and that Maemo6 will work spectacularly upon it. This is Linux, folks. The purest form of Linux seen on a mobile device! Linux is famous for being the OS that you can get running on your toaster. It gives new life to older hardware by having damn good, efficient programming. Ubuntu 9.10 doesn't require a Core i7 processor upgrade or for you to have a Wacom Intuos4, forcing you back to 9.04 if you don't have that hardware!

The N900 just came out - lets concentrate on making it, and Maemo5 the best mobile it can be.

The Following User Says Thank You to Ellipsys For This Useful Post: