Active Topics

Posts: 213 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Barbados
Does it target the same customers. Yes
We want something to put in our pockets that can browse the net and send email.
Do they both do that. Yes.

It's a competitor. OS is irrelevant.

The MAC is a competitor to the PC. A Unix server will compete with a Windows server.

What will make the difference is the individual features that the purchaser wants. For example whether he wants windows or Unix. Five hard disk or 2. SATA or SCSI. USB portsd or legacy Serial and parallel ports.

But the servers in their entirety, to function as servers are competitors.

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by ArnimS View Post
This is not a competitor for the following reasons.

1) Windows. A machine running 'big brother inside' is not a competitor to a free OS.

2) Price. $797... in japan. Expect european prices to be near 1200 euro. Not a competitor at 2x-3x the price.
I believe it will be subsidised by the phone networks and retail in the region of $332 with a 2 year contract (in Japan) - $797 is without a contract.

I think it is a competitor to the N800 for those who just don't care about the OS, or those that don't care about OSS. There are many, many more people who don't care than those who do (like us).

The EM-ONE is definately the right form factor - 800x480 and similar size to N800, plus a keyboard - the only major difference is the OS, and most people don't care about what OS it uses. If they do care then Joe Public would most likely prefer Windows Mobile because they're familiar with Windows and it will work with their existing desktop PC etc. etc.

Linux, for all it's benefits, and the N800 specifically, fails to address the requirements of the general consumer who isn't interested in hacking and simply wants a PDA-type device that is synced with their desktop.

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by dbec10 View Post
So think about this. Is the EMONE a competitor or not. I think it is.
I agree - it most definately is.

But only in Japan (currently) where you probably can't buy an N800 anyway. So we're safe for the time being.

Posts: 84 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Apr 2006 @ California
The EM-ONE was $800 with no contract (wifi/bluetooth only), and approx. $400 with an unlimited 3.5G hsdpa (3.6Mps down!) dataplan ($40/mo). That is pretty good for being able to have network access anywhere you go.

A couple of additional points:
- The unit includes 2 browsers: Opera and Explorer Mobile
- The cursor joystick on the unit would work well with games.
- Bluetooth supports A2DP for wireless stereo headsets!
- The screen will rotate to portrait or landscape.
- There is VGA out.
- hsdpa is a provided by a card that sticks out from the side; there were many different types of cards available.

Posts: 248 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ MI, USA
I tend to agree on some of the points about "competitors" to the N800/770 but I also tend to lean towards the reality of being able to walk into a store/shop and being able to purchase an item "off the shelf", and I guess this is where the lines tend to blur. We've all seen oodles of these "competitors" come and go but in reality how many have you actually SEEN in a shop in stock for sale ? That EM looks really cool but I highly doubt any Telco's would actually market that in the US, (except maybe for someone like Ampd) so probably you're looking at the $799 for that, so is a device that's twice the price still considered a competitor ?

Does it stop being a competitor because you can't afford it; or does it stop being an option because you can't afford it.

Last edited by dbec10; 2007-04-16 at 13:44. Reason: the last "can" should have been "can't"

IMO: Yes, and yes. (the last 'yes' is assuming you meant "can't" in both places). A Rolls Royce is not a competitor, or an option for my car either. Its competition is elsewhere..

You are correct. The last "can" should have been "can't" and I fixed it just now. Also the Rolls Royce would not be a competitor to your car because it is in a different market segment. I Assume you are looking for an affordable "everyday" car. The Roll Royce however is a luxury car.

Yup, all this means is how the businesses define the market segment they are in. If consumers were to define their own segment, there will be no end to this debate.

So to have a comparison, we should check with Nokia what the N800's target segment is, and we compare with what Sharp's target segment is for their device. If the segements are the same, then based on the above, we should have a non-emotional debate. If there is overlap of segments, then we can only look at the overlap portion to discuss. If your own personal needs are outside of the overlapped portion, then really, you are the best judge as to what is best for you.