Posts: 229 | Thanked: 36 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Bulgaria
Thabks for the links.

So, if I understood correct:
I can use in the same time Internet downloads and calls when I switch to 3G or 3,5G?

But why my E90 does not needs this switching and can work simultaneously?
Regards.

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
did a bit of checking, and the E90 is a class A gprs device. That means, it had two GSM radios in there, so one could handle the data while the other did the call:
http://europe.nokia.com/find-product...specifications

the N900 on the other hand use DTM, effectively the same using a single radio, and your operator do not support that in their network.

funny, the E90 supports both class A and DTM, apparently. Now i want to see nokia do a E900

The Following User Says Thank You to tso For This Useful Post:
tso,

Thanks for reply.
That`s my point - I think that N900 can do this but maybe at this moment the current firmware is not well "polished".
I hope Nokia will bring us an answer.
Regards.

Posts: 226 | Thanked: 63 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Maldives
@tso, two GSM radios? are you sure? I don't think so, I had an E90 for years, simultaneous voice+data works with one operator and fails on the other. The same is for N900, it's not the phone, it's the operators for me. Class A, Multislot 32 device doesn't mean it has two radios.

nashith,

In my old E90 and now in N900 I am using one and the same SIM card, so the operator is only one in my case.
Regards.

Last edited by jorjino; 2010-01-01 at 22:03.

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
Originally Posted by nashith View Post
@tso, two GSM radios? are you sure? I don't think so, I had an E90 for years, simultaneous voice+data works with one operator and fails on the other. The same is for N900, it's not the phone, it's the operators for me. Class A, Multislot 32 device doesn't mean it has two radios.
ok, can be i called it a bit quick there, as i see nokia also mentions class A for the N900. In that case, color me confused.

hell, as i dig into the N900 specs, i can no longer find any mention of DTM, while the E90 specs clearly mentions it. color me confused, squared...

The Following User Says Thank You to tso For This Useful Post:
Posts: 226 | Thanked: 63 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Maldives
@jorjino, I still strongly feel the problem is related to operator, maybe they haven't activated a service for your new device. This has happened to me twice before while traveling abroad, a quick call to CS fixed it. Can you please call them ask their customer service why you are being kicked off the GPRS/3G data path whenever a call comes in.

@nashith,

I will try to call customer service and will let you know.
I hope you are right.
Regards.

I have the same problem in the Czech Republic using N900 and T-Mobile. I have tried that with E50 and have no issue to get incoming call while browsing. with N900 i become unavailable. I prefer having a call and connections dropped, otherwise I can,t be online..

Reading this thread I cannot figurde out why is that? Why one nokia phone can handle the situation and N900 cannot? On the same network.. Has anybodz got insight deep enough to explain please?

For all those who preferred incoming calls interrupting the data transfer, you might be out of luck, as our dear friends using iPhone's have noticed a while ago.

There is a thing called 'Network Mode of Operation' in GPRS, which basically dictates the behavior in this case, what happens when an incoming call comes and you have a data connection active.

The quickest link I now found is below, however it is not the best one, try googling more if you are interested.

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-19512_7-10115034-233.html

The basic idea though is that there are three different modes, NOM1, NOM2 and NOM3. And NOM1 and NOM3 are good, NOM2 are bad in case of the dropping calls as the NOM2 can't signal the data channel that there is incoming call...

And for example AT&T here in U.S. uses mostly NOM2 networks, I do not know what mode T-Mobile uses, but 3G works on that, so no problems. In Finland the networks are either NOM1 or NOM3, etc depending on operators, and so on..

ps. waiting for my phone number to switch to T-Mobile, can't live without my N900 nor my incoming calls...

The Following User Says Thank You to loranth For This Useful Post:

Tags
connection, gprs, incoming calls, interrupted, n900