Notices

Poll: D-Pad vs Arrow keys, which is better?
Poll Options
D-Pad vs Arrow keys, which is better?

which is better (for gaming) and for that mater why?

Consider it this way Moto Milestone /Droid vs Nokia N900

Keep in mind this is concerning phones not handheld game consoles and such.

Last edited by DeboX; 2010-01-01 at 22:37.

Considering the Droid's keyboard and Dpad isn't that great (from what I've tried).

I prefer the n800's dpad over the keys. But that's because they're bigger and on the face of the device with the screen.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

what about the Dpad on the n97?

Why do you think all games consoles in the past 25 years or so have had d-pads? It just gives much better control, and as the keys are evenly spaced you won't be passing over other keys to press the button you want. With arrows, you've got down sitting in the way of left and right.

Posts: 1,255 | Thanked: 393 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ US
D-pad on Droid is worthless. If the arrow keys were more spaced on the N900 so that two keys can be pressed to emulate diagonals (or allow mapping for diagonals) the N900 keys would be fine for a no d-pad option (d-pad better though). Mapping would be the simple (logical) solution. Works OK on Droid, but N900 KB is better. The only keys that are arranged for decent multi key presses is the G1. N900 is too easy to hit the start key, based on current key mapping.

Using screen controls for diagonals and keyboard for other movement on old school games is not the best option for control. Mapping the keys is. Even Nokia in their infamous video that got Nintendo mad showed this as the recommended way

Last edited by Rushmore; 2010-01-01 at 22:45.

Originally Posted by DeboX View Post
what about the Dpad on the n97?
Never had any of the Nokia phone devices besides this random expressmusic phone I got with my TMobile contract. That one had a dpad but it was terrible. Worst I've ever seen lol.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Why is the D-pad on the driod deemed as soo bad ?? (haven't tried it my self, so just curious)

Posts: 1,255 | Thanked: 393 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ US
Originally Posted by DeboX View Post
Why is the D-pad on the driod deemed as soo bad ?? (haven't tried it my self, so just curious)
1. Flat
2. Odd shape
3. Very stiff movement (slow & sometimes unresponsive)
4. Right movement is badly hindered due to the rim being next to and flush with it- no space. Right movement is nearly impossible to do consistently and hurts the thumb trying. This is coming from a Marine.
5. Diagonals are also only possible for left side for same reason as item 4.

Seems like the d-pad was added as an afterthought and the device would have been much better with a bigger keyboard with the space.

Last edited by Rushmore; 2010-01-02 at 05:34.

Posts: 488 | Thanked: 107 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Asgard / Midgard / London
rather than everyone concentrating on the arrow keys, why not try the whole block of 9 buttons on the right side with the diagonals? This would require remapping, so hopefully things like emulators allow manual remapping. User-defineable keys also make it easier to port anywhere else, as well as newer and older machines.

The Following User Says Thank You to Thor For This Useful Post:
the d-pad on the n97 was very nice to use even tho it was on the left and im right handed, was sort of soft to press, best d-pad iv used on a device.
Past devices inc n70, n80, n95, n96, n85, 6120c, 6220c