Notices

Originally Posted by alex-000 View Post
Hi Guys, i don't understand. I installed OpenVpn and i've tried to configure it with negative results. In which file I have to insert IP address,user and password to access my VNP?
Thanks in advance.
Can someone help me please???

@alex-000:

With OpenVPN there's no password. Instead you'll have to get a set of certificate files from your OpenVPN server administrator person. In my case that's currently myself, so that was easy enough.
After installing the certifcate files in /etc/openvpn you'll have to put a configuration file there as well. If you have an openvpn system admin guy for your server then he/she should be able to help with that as well.

If you're used to set a password for your VPN connection then maybe your VPN server isn't OpenVPN at all? Could be MS PPTP or something else.

Originally Posted by TA-t3 View Post
@alex-000:

With OpenVPN there's no password. Instead you'll have to get a set of certificate files from your OpenVPN server administrator person. In my case that's currently myself, so that was easy enough.
After installing the certifcate files in /etc/openvpn you'll have to put a configuration file there as well. If you have an openvpn system admin guy for your server then he/she should be able to help with that as well.

If you're used to set a password for your VPN connection then maybe your VPN server isn't OpenVPN at all? Could be MS PPTP or something else.
Thank you for help!! I actually connect to Work Vpn with my Ubuntu Laptop and PPTP Vpn . Now I understand! I have to wait PPTP porting for N900 ????

Well, yes. There's somebody else here on the forum looking into this (there's a thread or two about it). The basic problem is that there is a component missing in the original Nokia kernel which prevents PPTP from working with just a simple application installation.

Hi!

I installed OpenVPN 2.1~rc20-3maemo3 and OpenVPN Applet 0.5.3-1 on my N900. After importing some config-files and the dependent certificate I pressed the test-button. A white window appeared... which remained empty.
Curious about that I went to X Terminal:
Code:
openvpn --connect configfilename.conf
-sh: openvpn: not found
I think something went wrong. If I look at the list of installed apps in the program manager I see an OpenVPN-app which takes 880 KB. But the packet in the program catalogue takes about 1.5 MB...

try with /usr/sbin/openvpn

Code:
/etc/openvpn $ /usr/sbin/openvpn --config openvpn-linux-extern.conf --verb 2
Sat Jan  2 01:18:46 2010 Warning: Error redirecting stdout/stderr to --log file: /var/log/openvpn-rwth.log: Permission denied (errno=13)
Enter Auth Username:jp******
Enter Auth Password:
/etc/openvpn $
even verbosity to 2 doesn't show a single line...

//edit: looked as root at /var/log/openvpn-rwth.log:

Code:
Sat Jan  2 01:11:26 2010 WARNING: No server certificate verification method has been enabled.  See http://openvpn.net/howto.html#mitm for more info.
Sat Jan  2 01:11:26 2010 NOTE: OpenVPN 2.1 requires '--script-security 2' or higher to call user-defined scripts or executables
Sat Jan  2 01:11:26 2010 WARNING: this configuration may cache passwords in memory -- use the auth-nocache option to prevent this
~860 lines full of these three messages...

Last edited by niklas87; 2010-01-02 at 00:32.

Posts: 32 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Norway
Originally Posted by niklas87 View Post
Code:
/etc/openvpn $ /usr/sbin/openvpn --config openvpn-linux-extern.conf --verb 2
Sat Jan  2 01:18:46 2010 Warning: Error redirecting stdout/stderr to --log file: /var/log/openvpn-rwth.log: Permission denied (errno=13)
Enter Auth Username:jp******
Enter Auth Password:
/etc/openvpn $
even verbosity to 2 doesn't show a single line...
You'll need to run openvpn as root; presumably why openvpn didn't work the first time without the PATH as /usr/sbin is probably not in user's PATH.

I found the solution which works for me!

Simply remove all # comments lines from .ovpn or .conf file and everything works fine.

Here is mine conf file:

cat /etc/openvpn/MyVpn1.conf
client
;dev tap
dev tun
;dev-node
;proto tcp
proto udp
remote mysite.dyndns.org 1194
;remote xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx 1723
resolv-retry infinite
nobind
;user nobody
;group nobody
persist-key
persist-tun
;http-proxy-retry # retry on connection failures
;http-proxy [proxy server] [proxy port #]
;mute-replay-warnings
ca ca.crt
cert mycrt.crt
key mykey.key
;auth-user-pass
ns-cert-type server
;tls-auth ta.key 1
;cipher x
;comp-lzo
verb 3
;mute 20

Bye!

If someone needs it, here it is the openvpn version 2.2.1 builded for the N900 with the same parameters of the previous version.
(it is sufficient to replace the binary)
Attached Files
File Type: zip openvpn_2.2.1.zip (214.3 KB, 123 views)