Active Topics

Excellent! - thank you everyone for all the great information.
(I love this site - extremely helpful). Since I mainly use the n800 at home, with wifi access (or in an airport or hotel with wifi) - the bluetooth/phone ability would be used infrequently. The main reason was to use Maemomapper on the road, for the updates; or when they charge for wifi access(darn you Cincinatti airport!) or there is no wifi access - but now I might just wait until the Navicore system is available here in the USA.

Hi All, this is my first post here. This forum has been super helpful. I was also having issues connecting my new n800 to my verizon lg-vx8100 via bluetooth.

I never realized it, but I was never able to use it with my g4 ibook as a bluetooth modem. Well thanks to digging around the forum I was able to find info on the Howard forums. http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=727114

This is a quote straight from the posting:

NO WARRANTY Provided. Be careful, anytime you mess with stuff, you risk messing it up. Proceed at your own risk!
Using an application such as QPST (search google to find it) you want to search through your cellphone's directories and:
  1. find /nvm/nvm/nvm_data and copy it to your PC
  2. make a backup of it
  3. With a Good hex editor make the following changes without changing the file size. There will be two places where @dun.vzw3g.com appears toward the bottom of that file.
  4. Change that to @vzw3g.com.com then hex null out (zero out) the trailing ".com" so the end result is @vzw3g.com It appears twice, I'm assuming once for cable dun and once for bt dun.
  5. save the file and verify against your backup that you have not changed the file size. (not sure if it matters, but just in case)
  6. copy it back to your phone (side note: bitpim is NOT capable of this last step b/c this is an nvm file...so you may need to use your other favorite embedded file system explorer)
  7. reboot the phone
From there on I went and re-paired the n800 and added verizon as a connectivity option, By following what was said previously in this post. Although I didn't set the user name or pass, only the #777 Dial-up number.

You can follow this helpful post for Verizon its the 3rd post down.
http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...hlight=Verizon

Hopefully this can help someone else with a similar phone and setup. Just be careful cause you can brick the cell phone. So proceed at your own risk!

Good luck!

Verizon Wireless' marketingspeak for tethering is "BroadbandAccess Connect". A list of phones that are supported can be found at http://b2b.vzw.com/productsservices/...ssconnect.html

I also have an VX8100 and it works for me. The phone is advertised as NationalAccess (1XRTT) capabile, but it's also BroadbandAccess capable (EV-DO) as described above.
Verizon charges an additional $5/month for "Web 2.0" which means the data minutes come out of the voice plan minutes. They also have $15/month add-on for "V Cast" for unlimited data minutes.

I had verizon for a couple of days. But they are really expensive for phone as a
modem plans. I used the krzr k1m and it tethered with the n800 without a problem.
They will not provide support for bluetooth tethering. Actually i was told none of their
phones would tether without a usb cable. Sprint is cheaper for me and the speeds are
the same. I am using the upstage as my modem right now on the n800. Careful what phone you get in the last month i have tried to tether with alot of phones that have bluetooth dun and had a lot of problems. Try the phone before you sign on the dotted line.

Posts: 44 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Apr 2007 @ SLO, CA
any clue of how to tether a verizon rzr ?

Originally Posted by treasonx View Post
They will not provide support for bluetooth tethering. Actually i was told none of their
phones would tether without a usb cable.
Buried somewhere on the VZW site is a pdf file that lists the tethering capabilities of some of their phones including Bluetooth. In all cases they say words to the effect of BT tethering will work, but they don't recomend it because of the lower speeds (BT is the bottleneck). This is a rather old file, and most of the newer phones aren't listed.

Originally Posted by treasonx View Post
Sprint is cheaper for me and the speeds are the same.
It just depends on which carrier has the best service in your area; and treasonx is right, Sprint is cheaper.

I have a Samsung SCH-i730 PDA phone with Verizon. It is advertised as not having BT DUN (actually Samsung put it in, but VZW disabled it). I am using a hack that I got from http://pdaphonehome.com called BTModem (what else?) and it works great with Marvin.