Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
It works with TMobile data (I'm using it on TMobile). .

Not only that, but its good for "at least" 3Mb on T-Mobile's $10/mo. data plan.

Posts: 819 | Thanked: 806 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Oxnard, Ca.
Want attention and want to talk smack about N900?

Start thread on talk maemo
[insert_phone_name_here] is better than N900.

Write 1 or 2 paragraphs attacking software weaknesses even though you know it is only on first firmware.

=job done

The Following User Says Thank You to aironeous For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by colnago View Post
I wasn't doing anything on my (2) DROIDs that I can't do on my 900. Difference is my proximity sensor actually "works" consistently on the 900. Having SIP client "built-in" gives "me" the edge over the DROID as far as functionality. Never mind the poor reception I got being less than 2 miles from (2) different Verizon stores and two blocks from Verizon CO.

That said, I prefer the sound levels on the DROID (and all my Motorola products, most recently the Q) vs. the 900.
Your distance to a Verizon store and to Verizon central offices is irrelevant to your reception to the nearest Verizon supporting cell tower. That being said, however, I do notice that the voice quality is lower than when I had been using Sprint but the data rate seems to be excellent and compares VERY well in comparison to iPhone speeds.

Your proximity experience sounds anecdotal and doesn't accurately reflect the experience my brother and I appear to be having. So far, it seems to work consistently very well for us. That is also anecdotal, though.

I'll also admit that I'm very disappointed with the SIP offerings in the Android store, too. It's my hope that Google will eventually release Gizmo on the Android platform to promote a purely digital (no-voice) alternative to the current voice+data offerings. That's purely speculative, however.

Posts: 607 | Thanked: 450 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Washington, DC
Originally Posted by fatalsaint View Post
I feel geeky enough.. I don't need a phone on this hip, netbook on this arm, a tablet in this pocket.. etc.

One device, all my needs, all the way. Nothing hits it yet. Well.. the N900 has promise, but .. just out of reach for now. Android is closest so far to anything I've handled.
I agree with your conclusion, but I wish people would stop talking about the N900 as a tablet. I have an N810. It's not a tablet, it's a PDA which replaced my Palm TX. I also have an OQO 02. That is a tablet. While the OQO suffers for being three years out of date (it eats up the battery too fast and runs too hot) the current generation of true tablets does what the N900 only wishes it could do and the ones that are being announced at CES look even better.

If you really need a tablet, get an x86 compatible one with an embedded 3G data card. You don't need to worry about program compatibility, you can dual boot Windows and Linux (and most tablet forums have at least one geek who has figured out how to run OSX). You can then run anything you can run in your desktop.

The Following User Says Thank You to DaveP1 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 156 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Scotland
Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post

E.g. if I carry my camera and a DS I can shoot all the pictures I want, then play all the games I want. One function does not influence another function's activities. Yet if I do so on my N900 then I compromise because shooting pictures will use up battery, playing games will use up battery.
keep a charged up mobile phone in your pocket in case your N900 gets drained?

I think when most people say tablet they mean the nokia internet tablets, not the big ones that aren't remotely pocketable.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Laughing Man For This Useful Post:
If the Nexus didn't look so dog ugly I would consider buying it against the N900. Snapdragon with 512mb is nice. Yet lack of hardware keyboard is a major loss.

At the end of the day they're only phones. I don't see why people get so angry.

Edit: Fixed typo.

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by ZootHornRollo View Post
keep a charged up mobile phone in your pocket in case your N900 gets drained?
Thus negating the need for that $200-300 cellular radio in the N900 after all! I'm glad you agree.

Originally Posted by horus View Post
If the Nexus didn't look so dog ugly I would consider buying it against the N900. Snapdragon with 512mb is nice. Yet lack of hardware keyboard is a major loss.

At the end of the day they're only phones. I don't see why people get so angry.
The lack of keyboard also makes it lighter and thinner--clearly something you don't want but then I also really prefer onscreen keyboards and rarely ever slide out the keyboard on my Droid (although it's a terrible keyboard anyway). I suffer nothing with my N800.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 819 | Thanked: 806 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Oxnard, Ca.
Originally Posted by mysticrokks View Post
they is a funny snobbery on these boards against the iphone- its quite funny..

"In any case I dont believe HTC, Apple, google is any match for Nokia hardware or software wise. They only excel at HYPE marketing and branding. Nokia does real research and has the patents to prove it."

lol could you honestly honestly advise the masses to get any nokia over an iphone- seriously, what would average joe or even someone that wants alot out of there phone(mms/email/gps/games).

i love the nokia but lets get real here, the difference isnt marketing its function
go to us patent office. Do a search for patents for Nokia in the assignee name field.
Now do the same thing for Apple, Google
Nokia innovates a lot. Last time i check (6 months ago) there was 4700+ patents.

I think that at the end of they, it will come down to the developers. And by that, I mean the companies (with payed designers, graphic artists, testers, sales and marketing ppl). They will come only if there's a bussiness in the platform: enough cheap devices for a sizeable market.
So we'll see; if in 2010 there will be multiple maemo phones with different featuresets and different pricepoints, then yes, maemo can be a contender; otherwise will remain a niche os on a nice device.
MfEfolders - Enable/disable MfE sync on a folder by folder basis; locally rename mail folders