Poll: Does your N900 have GPS problems?
Poll Options
Does your N900 have GPS problems?

Posts: 11 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Jul 2009 @ Northern Hemisphere
I am located in NY, however my N900 takes forever to lock and when it does, it friggin tells me I am in Valencia Spain! I assumed it was some sort of factory default but I have been unable to fix it

Posts: 267 | Thanked: 128 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Somerville MA - USA
I am another dope who is not getting the AGPS to work for him... I have gotten a gps signal but only after 7 or 10 minutes... which is completely unacceptable. My 5800 and n95 were 100x faster!

Originally Posted by matthewcc View Post
I am another dope who is not getting the AGPS to work for him... I have gotten a gps signal but only after 7 or 10 minutes... which is completely unacceptable. My 5800 and n95 were 100x faster!
i've been plagued by a similar problem, except i'm not able to get a fix at all unless agps is turned on. as i pointed out earlier in this thread, i contacted nokia regarding the issue and they implied upto 15 min. was to be expected.

Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
I have another strange problem. The gps seems to lock after say 30s or something, the status bar says "fine accuracy" but ovi maps fails to turn the dot bright red. I can see the dot faded out, with my precice location (about 20m) but the application does not follow the dot, i have to pan the screen manually.
When the dot goes off screen the expected "my position" button shows up, pressing it centers the (still washed out) red dot but only instantly. If i keep moving the view stays put and red dot leaves the center and eventually the screen once again. It's like ovi maps gets the coordinates but not the fact that there is a lock.
________
Medical marijuana card

Last edited by qwazix; 2011-08-21 at 10:18.

Posts: 267 | Thanked: 128 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Somerville MA - USA
For anyone that this is working for in the US please describe both your network connection settings, and GPS settings.

Currently i am using
connection = epc.tmobile.com,
GPS device = internal gps
network positioning = enabled
location server = supl.google.com

Posts: 8 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Mpls, MN
Currently i am using[/QUOTE]

connection = epc.tmobile.com,
GPS device = internal gps
network positioning = enabled
location server = supl.nokia.com (like it comes out of the box)

Originally Posted by DeboX View Post
Is the lack of a digital compass a big drawback??

BTW l'm a noob when it comes to phone based gps solutions, so does it cost anything to use the gps?? (ie does it use over-gsm/gprs/3g etc data traffic?)
I think most GPS devices (dedicated ones like Garmin, TomTom don't have digital compasses. It doesn't cost anything to use the GPS, AGPS just helps the GPS get a lock-on quicker.

One problem I have noticed is that the GPS can get stuck on sometimes (especially with Ovi Maps since if the program isn't closed gracefully it'll leave the GPS on). Disabling the GPS in settings won't do anything, only a reboot will actually shut off the GPS. For now I just don't bother with Ovi Maps and instead use the maemo browser + geolocation add-on.

Edit: Oh another fun Ovi Maps bug, there was this one time I opened it up and after it got a GPS lock it said I was in two places at once. One GPS dot said I was at my home address, while the second GPS dot said I was at the Donut shop (correctly). Yet if you tried to plot or lookup anything it would use the GPS of my home address and not the Donut shop.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Last edited by Laughing Man; 2010-01-07 at 16:24.

With the fitness app I get a very good lock and it works well. I have tried the various suggestions to get OVI maps to work correctly but still when I'm in some places the GPS tells me somewhere I know I am not, its about 300m off. Its strange because sometimes it is correct when I am elsewhere in the city...

Does anyone know what will be happening with OVI maps? Its the only thing I miss off my iphone.

Posts: 337 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ South Yorkshire
[QUOTE=tk421;465988.

Does anyone know what will be happening with OVI maps? Its the only thing I miss off my iphone.[/QUOTE]

same here. never had a seperate sat nav when i had my N95 but i find GPS unusable without voice nav.

Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
It doesn't cost anything to use the GPS, AGPS just helps the GPS get a lock-on quicker.
i believe that's incorrect. a-gps involves data traffic, ie you're being charged. from what i've read it's only a few kB, but nevertheless.