I figured we didn't have enough threads about importing contacts, so here's one more

I'm really new to the smartphone scene. So new, in fact, that my previous phone is this 6 year old Samsung flip phone. No simm card or anything. In other words, there is no way I'll be able to export my contacts, so I have to get them somewhere manually no matter what.

However, typing them all into my phone with the keyboard will take way too much time and cause much carpel tunnel. So, I've got them all on my laptop, in a CSV format that just looks like:

name1,number1
name2,number2

I'd like to just generate a nice csv (or something) from this that I can run the import feature on my N900 on with impunity, but can't seem to find documentation on the specific format (possible column names, minimal required column names). I think I might just be able to install Kontact on my linux laptop at home and create a multi-record vcard, but is there a simpler way? Will it accept just a simple CSV? Can someone link me to the details of what needs to be in the CSV?

Thanks!

The Following User Says Thank You to Replicon For This Useful Post:
CSV to Vcard converter - no need to do it yourself. This is the internet

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to codeMonkey For This Useful Post:
beware , it is a mac website.

noobmonkey, would you in the future please refrain from linking people to the mac website WITHOUT TELLING THEM THAT IT IS NOT WITHOUT RISK AND CAN BRICK THEIR BRAIN!!!!!!!!

noobs.

Banned | Posts: 291 | Thanked: 42 times | Joined on Dec 2009
Originally Posted by Devil View Post
beware , it is a mac website.

noobmonkey, would you in the future please refrain from linking people to the mac website WITHOUT TELLING THEM THAT IT IS NOT WITHOUT RISK AND CAN BRICK THEIR BRAIN!!!!!!!!

noobs.
What a foolish remark. Have you smoked the Nokia pot recently?

Thanks! This looks like it does exactly what I was gonna script up myself! All it costs is Apple getting all my friends' phone numbers haha.

Originally Posted by Devil View Post
Wrong monkey. *points at name*

On my old phones I used www.zyb.com, it synced automagically

tried it on N900, but Maemo is not compatible (yet)
they export nicely to a grouped VCF, wich imports all contacts @ once

Posts: 119 | Thanked: 110 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Prague
you can also have look on http://wiki.maemo.org/Importing_data (a generic csv 2 vcf script is there also)

The Following User Says Thank You to andree For This Useful Post: