Active Topics

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Originally Posted by Ads View Post
Then I have the tough decision as to whether I should get a replacement from Nokia for what I actually paid for - or go with the community spirit and use your fix instead
If you have the choice, get the replacement. Really, what I wanted to do was to change the setting directly but the format is undocumented and it's stored in an area that is very important to the N900 (and is not fixable with a reflash). I lack the knowledge required to "figure it out" and I wasn't prepared to destroy the loaner N900 I have. So here I am, getting the result faked.

With a replacement, you don't have to worry about installing yet-another-piece-of-software, either

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 72 | Thanked: 23 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Shropshire UK
Originally Posted by qwerty12 View Post
If you have the choice, get the replacement. Really, what I wanted to do was to change the setting directly but the format is undocumented and it's stored in an area that is very important to the N900 (and is not fixable with a reflash)
That helps with the decision - thanks. It's good to hear from someone else (other than Nokia) that there isn't a simple software fix (unfaked :o) Though I must say I am glad to have had the chance to try this out at least! I like the way you got it to work. It's genius - & has suddenly made me want to get into software development that bit more (I'm a fairly basic developer that has been getting annoyed with it all - maybe Maemo will keep it interesting for me).

As for the replacement, I'm hoping this second one will be a lot quicker than the first, now the device is technically on sale in more places.

The Following User Says Thank You to Ads For This Useful Post:
I just noticed that in the "about product" information, the model, make and everything is listed as <unknown> after installing this. Not 100% sure that fmtx-faker is at fault, but i flashed the phone clean (firmware+emmc), and did nothing else then installing fmtx-faker, and the <unknown> showed up again. Uninstalling from application manager does not fix it. Running "dpkg --purge fmtx-faker" does fix it however. Reproduced it twice.

Normally it says:
Nokia N900
Maemo 5
Version: 1.2009.42-11.203.2

With fmtx-faker installed:
<unknown>
<unknown>
Version: <unknown>

Even though it looks like this, the phone works and performs normally, so I guess it's just cosmetic stuff. However I guess it qualifies as a bug.

edit: only tested with the fmtx-faker version from extras-dev, i believe it's version 0.2

Last edited by spock521; 2010-01-08 at 11:57.

The Following User Says Thank You to spock521 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 72 | Thanked: 23 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Shropshire UK
Originally Posted by spock521 View Post
I just noticed that in the "about product" information, the model, make and everything is listed as <unknown> after installing this. Not 100% sure that fmtx-faker is at fault, but i flashed the phone clean (firmware+emmc), and did nothing else then installing fmtx-faker, and the <unknown> showed up again. Uninstalling from application manager does not fix it. Running "dpkg --purge fmtx-faker" does fix it however. Reproduced it twice.

Normally it says:
Nokia N900
Maemo 5
Version: 1.2009.42-11.203.2

With fmtx-faker installed:
<unknown>
<unknown>
Version: <unknown>

Even thought it looks like this, the phone works and performs normally, so I guess it's just cosmetic stuff. However I guess it qualifies as a bug.

edit: only tested with the fmtx-faker version from extras-dev, i believe it's version 0.2
Hi - What version of the faker did you use? (Sorry just noticed your edit). I noticed this issue on my device a little after playing with the first version - but I did also play around with a lot of the config files myself around that time. I believe touching a few things like the sysinfod.conf can cause this.

The other thing I noticed when I had this issue, is that it forgot the name of the calendar - that is normally n900 - it said something like unknown.

After a reflash and installing version 0.2, I haven't seen this issue - so I whole heartedly put it down to my fiddling rather than the faker doing it - but I could be wrong. I thought I'd let you know in case you believe you may have tried editing config files to fix the issue yourself before installing the faker - but then not noticing it - as I couldn't be sure at what point this happened on my device!

Originally Posted by Ads View Post
Hi - What version of the faker did you use? (Sorry just noticed your edit). I noticed this issue on my device a little after playing with the first version - but I did also play around with a lot of the config files myself around that time. I believe touching a few things like the sysinfod.conf can cause this.

The other thing I noticed when I had this issue, is that it forgot the name of the calendar - that is normally n900 - it said something like unknown.

After a reflash and installing version 0.2, I haven't seen this issue - so I whole heartedly put it down to my fiddling rather than the faker doing it - but I could be wrong. I thought I'd let you know in case you believe you may have tried editing config files to fix the issue yourself before installing the faker - but then not noticing it - as I couldn't be sure at what point this happened on my device!
I thought it was my own fault at first too, as I have done a lot of fiddling around. That's why i reflashed it clean before testing, and as the problem could be reproduced twice, fmtx-faker has something to do with it I believe. Also running "dpkg --purge fmtx-faker" will fix the problem without having to reflash (so that's another clue).

I'll do some more testing in the weekend if I find the time, for now this problem doesn't bother me so much as it seems to only affect the info display for me (I'm not using the calendar...yet).

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
I'm guessing that it's because I'm using SystemInfo as my final interface name. (The full thing for fmtx-faker is actually "com.nokla.SystemInfo".)

While, usually, this shouldn't conflict, with Maemo, you can omit "com.nokia" and just include the last part of the interface name and it's assumed to mean "com.nokia.SystemInfo". I'm guessing that is what these applications are doing. While this would usually succeed, I guess having two programs providing a "SystemInfo" service doesn't help.

If it is not that, then, well, I don't know.

(There is a reason why this is in extras-devel. )

have we got any news about a stable version of it?

After installing the file, the above things happened to me too. (unknown at "about" etc). I tried it at many freqs both in car and at home but nothing happened! Also flashlight doesn't work after installing it. And now after uninstalling it, things remain faulty. Is there a way to fix all this? Again nice work and keep it up!

Originally Posted by nikossonik View Post
After installing the file, the above things happened to me too. (unknown at "about" etc). I tried it at many freqs both in car and at home but nothing happened! Also flashlight doesn't work after installing it. And now after uninstalling it, things remain faulty. Is there a way to fix all this? Again nice work and keep it up!
the following fixed it for me..

in xterminal do:
sudo gainroot
dpkg --purge fmtx-faker

and reboot.

if it doesn't help, reflashing is the best option i guess.

Last edited by spock521; 2010-01-10 at 00:19.

Yesterday i notice that i have a problem when i turn on fm transmitter its works well but after some time he shut down by himself and than enable...anyone have the same problem?