Active Topics

Posts: 41 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Washington, DC
Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
Interesting, I've never gotten voice recognition to work on cell phones (and even Dragon Naturally Speaking and the one included with Windows Vista and Windows 7). I chalk it up to a combination of I speak fast, I sometimes pronouce words wrong, and I occasionally have a Chinese accent (all a result of me growing up in the formulative stages of language learning speaking Chinese and little English).

And seeing my Google Voicemail transcripts didn't have me exactly expecting that Google would do any better (though they do have a larger library of samples for the system to learn from). That's partially what GOOG411 and Google Voice are for (yes scary isn't it? )

I wonder how the Nexus would do with me. If you come to the get-together in D.C. in the off-topic forum if you bring the Nexus I wanna try out the voice recognition). I've tried the one on the iPhone (professor who loves Apple products had one) and I could never get it working reliabily.

Though how does it do with noise? I'm guessing you don't have to bring it up to your face to use the voice recognition since that would be a terrible design flaw to have to do that each time.
I am in DC and I have both the Nexus and the N900. When is the get-together? If I go, I'll let you try the voice recognition. I was pretty surprised how accurate it is.

The Following User Says Thank You to gskimmel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 293 | Thanked: 76 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Fremantle, W. Australia
Originally Posted by Apoc View Post
the Nexus One's 3.7 inch AMOLED screen which is barely visable outside,
Is it as bad as the old LCDs, like on the N800?
Going from N800 to N900, the transflective screen makes a huge difference to me. Many times I would have like to use maps on the N800, but it was unreadable outdoors. Had to use google maps on a phone instead.

closes out the programs when it thinks you don't want them anymore,
So it actually kills them, rather than suspending and copying them to flash? Is the N900 the only phone to use virtual memory or any kind of swap? Symbian and WinMo do not seem to have it either.

Originally Posted by RipTorn View Post
Being Australian with my Aussie accent I have never found a decent voice recognition program that works.
Just put on an American accent. You'll feel a bit silly, but it does not have to be convincing. Learn how the yanks mangle their vowels.
e.g water goes from "wor-da"(au) to "war-der"(us). Its easy to learn. Helps when you visit the States too :-)

I believe we are trying for 23rd.

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=36424

Though place is still being discussed.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 149 | Thanked: 140 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ YUL
Originally Posted by nashith View Post
As for the Google apps, I don't see any reason why Google wouldn't want to port most of them to Maemo. After all, the more people using their services the more money they get, so far Google has been pretty platform independent, supporting all most all major mobile/computer OSes.
The only application I need to access Google services is a good web browser. I think that is why the N900 is the winner in that case.

That being said, I would like to know the advantage(s) of a dedicated application to access, for example sake, gmail ? Is it for the finger friendliness ?

Posts: 226 | Thanked: 63 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Maldives
@Mandor, I agree that a good browser makes the whole dedicated app kinda useless. But a good browser still needs optimized website for the tiny screen and finger friendly controls. Yes, I have tried a lot of finger friendly websites for Google apps and Facebook etc. There is still missing functionality and easy of access, still not finger friendly enough. Gmail is not needed in a separate app if the built-in email client wasn't this bad. Something inline with Profimail on Symbian would do. But for Google Maps+Latitude, Sync, Youtube (not so much personally) a dedicated app would be much more superior option.

The Following User Says Thank You to nashith For This Useful Post:
Posts: 415 | Thanked: 193 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ A place with no mountains
Originally Posted by myk View Post
Is it as bad as the old LCDs, like on the N800?
Going from N800 to N900, the transflective screen makes a huge difference to me. Many times I would have like to use maps on the N800, but it was unreadable outdoors. Had to use google maps on a phone instead.
I bought the N900, the Droid and the Nexus One. I don't plan to keep them all. But I did want hands-on time with them.

I have to disagree with the OP regarding the Nexus One screen. It is very visible outside. Watch this video comparing AMOLED to LCD. I did the comparison myself using the phones and the differences are exactly as shown in this video. The Nexus One AMOLED screen is amazing outside. For me, it is the best screen of the three.

That said, in most other ways I am very disappointed with the Nexus One. The worst thing for me is sound quality on VoIP calls. Music volume through the speakers is also too low.

I installed Dolphin browser on both Android phones, and I think it's pretty good (it has multitouch and pinch zooming). The Nexus One is the fastest of all the phones in regard to the web browser, but the difference over the Droid is very minor. As has been pointed out in many other discussions here, the Android phones give a much nice experience when doing things like scrolling web pages in the browser.

Google's navigation is just amazing too. Nokia can't touch it.

Of course, Maemo has the most potential. But why isn't Nokia putting the resources into it that Google is putting into Android? Android is improving much faster.

Useful links for newcomers: New members say hello , New users start here, Community subforum, Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 Intro, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Choosing open source is an important purchasing decision for your future. The closed source model of computing is a form of exploitation -- of us! Open source empowers us. Be smart -- chose open source.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MountainX For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by OrangeBox View Post
And the winner is? Google. Even if you buy the N900 most likely your homepage is set to google.com.
You mean the url being tied to google search ? Well they haven't won I'll find a way to strip it out one way or another. I hate all things google with a passion, they have violated many privacy laws and need to be sued classaction style.

The Following User Says Thank You to Slick For This Useful Post:
Posts: 488 | Thanked: 107 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Asgard / Midgard / London
Originally Posted by jjx View Post
Anyone who values their privacy, I guess.

I bought the N900 for positive reasons, but it was only available recently. Android's been around for a couple of years now - I could have got an Android device. They do lots of fun things.

But I found I just couldn't bring myself to participate in the GoogleTracksYourLifeAndOneDayTheyWillSellItToWhoev er{BuysThemOut/MakesTheLaw/TakesThemByForce} program.

It's not that I mind people knowing what I talk about, where I am, what I'm interested in, who my friends are and so on. I'm generally very open with people I meet.

It's that, one day there will be something ugly like a war or whatever, and if it happens to be where I am, all that past knowledge raises the risk of being classified digitally as on the 'wrong' side, along with all my friends, perhaps just because of who my friends are and what they got up to. It does already happen in a small way, if you engage in political activism or have the wrong accent / racial characteristics in an airport.

Some things you can't hide, and it's silly to get paranoid. There are lots of positives to the cloud. /but still, I'd rather not have every little whim of detail about everything I did throughout every day and with whom in just *one* company's cross-referenced database. Diversity is good.

I'd rather keep more mystery about who I am and who I know, just in case that day arrives where I am.

The Google phones can be used like that, but you lose a lot of the reason for buying them if you don't use lots of Google services with them. I'd rather be able to mix and match different things from different providers.

So I found myself actively not choosing a Google phone, despite them being great devices that are plenty of fun....

I won't be channelling all my personal activity data through Ovi services, either...
You know that when you visit the US you'll have to be fingerprinted/iris-scanned and give DNA samples in the future? There's nothing to stop them selling your information to insurance companies as you are not a citizen and have voluntarily given up your information by visiting. Passports are all going towards incorporating biometric data.

In the UK there are CCTV cameras everywhere you go. Anyone can track credit card/debit card data and track you where you are. Mobile phone companies can get your location everywhere you go with cell tower triangulation. If you have a travel pass, that will allow tracking of where you go. A GPS device in your car will track your car etc etc.

Whether you like it or not, there isn't really much outside your head that isn't known about you.

Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
Originally Posted by MountainX View Post
I bought the N900, the Droid and the Nexus One. I don't plan to keep them all. But I did want hands-on time with them.

I have to disagree with the OP regarding the Nexus One screen. It is very visible outside. Watch this video comparing AMOLED to LCD. I did the comparison myself using the phones and the differences are exactly as shown in this video. The Nexus One AMOLED screen is amazing outside. For me, it is the best screen of the three.

That said, in most other ways I am very disappointed with the Nexus One. The worst thing for me is sound quality on VoIP calls. Music volume through the speakers is also too low.

I installed Dolphin browser on both Android phones, and I think it's pretty good (it has multitouch and pinch zooming). The Nexus One is the fastest of all the phones in regard to the web browser, but the difference over the Droid is very minor. As has been pointed out in many other discussions here, the Android phones give a much nice experience when doing things like scrolling web pages in the browser.

Google's navigation is just amazing too. Nokia can't touch it.

Of course, Maemo has the most potential. But why isn't Nokia putting the resources into it that Google is putting into Android? Android is improving much faster.
What improvements would it take for the nexus one for you to like it more? I assume this includes an improvement with VoIP and the speaker. Is there anything else?

}:^)~

Originally Posted by Thor View Post
Whether you like it or not, there isn't really much outside your head that isn't known about you.
And this makes it okay for Google to violate privacy laws?

The Following User Says Thank You to volt For This Useful Post: