Active Topics

Trust me your N900 is not bricked. The same thing happened to me and all i did was unplug the usb and rebooted the n900 and plugged it to a different usb port and it detected it and i re-ran the update.... worked.

Ok, hold on guys. I'm going to try one more time, but this time hold the u-key until I can se the USB-icon
I'll keep you updated.

Ok. I didn't get the usb-icon, and this message popped up:
"Device driver software was not successfully installed".
I'm thinking it could have something to do with that Driver Signature Enforcement i had to disable?

Posts: 150 | Thanked: 93 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Pennsylvania, US
Make sure you have disabled driver signature enforcement before attempting to enter firmware update mode, or else it won't work. Rebooting your computer will re-enable driver signature enforcement.

Also, make sure the device is completely powered off before reconnecting to the computer and holding U. If you leave it connected to your computer OR a charger, it will not power off completely and firmware update mode will not work. When holding U while reconnecting, do so for several seconds after you reconnected the USB cable - if you do not hold it long enough, the screen will go black and it will go into disk mode instead (won't work for firmware updates).

Ok, here's what I did.
Haven't restarted my computer after disabeling the driver signature enforcement. The battery was out of the phone, I put it back into the phone, pressed and hold u-key while connecting the usb. Still holding the u-key for about 10-15 sec. Nothing more happened though, and a error message popped up "Device driver software was not successfully installed" and the usb connection-sound made the connected and then the disconnected-sound.
The usb-icon didn't show on the N900 either.

Isn't this the just the right way to do it? Can't really see what I did wrong here, but something is just not working. Tried several usb-ports too.

Posts: 150 | Thanked: 93 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Pennsylvania, US
Sounds correct. Only suggestion I have left is find another computer with 32-bit Windows install to try.

I can try on a XP tomorrow. And I think I'll call Nokia and see if they can help me if it doesn't work, but it'll probably cost some money to send it in and fix it...

Well.. Now I've tried it on a win7 x32 too and it still didn't work, so I delivered it to nokia service. So I hope they will have it fixed in about 3 days.

Even though it didn't work, thanks for all the help!

Posts: 569 | Thanked: 159 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ District of Columbia
Originally Posted by Scoob View Post
Hi guys.
I heard about a new update today and descided to update my phone. The icon didn't show on my phone like I thought it would, so I downloaded Nokia Software Updater and used that program to update. My current version was 1.2009.42.11 and I was updating to version 1.2009.44.1. The problem was that after downloading the update and beginning to install on phone it froze (at "1 sec left" or something). I waited for nearly two hours for something to happen and finally did the only thing I could, plugged it out.

I know you're not suppost to plug it out or turn it of while updating, but I had no choice. So I removed the battery for a while and tried to turn it on again. Now the "Nokia"-logo shows with a white background for about 20-30 sec before it turns itself of again.
I've tried to connect it to the computer again but I can't find the phone when it's not on.

Any ideas of what i can do?

You and I are in the same situation - Nokia Software Updater sucks donkey balls, messed up at the end of the updating and now the device is completely bricked. Doesn't matter if I have a full battery charge or not, no way I've been able to find so far to reflash it.

-Socrates 469 BC

Posts: 102 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Finland
Originally Posted by spinnukur View Post
You and I are in the same situation - Nokia Software Updater sucks donkey balls, messed up at the end of the updating and now the device is completely bricked. Doesn't matter if I have a full battery charge or not, no way I've been able to find so far to reflash it.
I had the same problem and now the phone is reflashed. Use flasher-3.5. This forum and google will tell the rest. You might have problems if you have Win7 64bit.