Hardcore (but working) solution: you can use OpenVPN to tunnel all your data to your host in unrestricted internet (PC which is always on, dedicated server or VDS, or whatever). Sometimes together with other network tools. They're existing since that's Linux, a really decent OS with a decent set of networking tools. Surely machine in unrestricted internet have to implement internet sharing (NAT or proxy, etc - that's up to you what to use and understand how to get connected then).

This generally works (you can also compress and encrypt your data, btw, so they're not easily available to bad guys in public places, etc). But this also requires you to have some knowledge of networking. You have to be able to understand restrictions in effect in certain network, how to bypass them and then implement bypassing scheme. As for me, fully armed firewall bypassing solution is to run something like OpenVPN on some common ports like 53, 80, or 443 (they're allowed on most firewalls) and maybe some extra tunneling daemons (to tunnel via DNS, etc as last resort...).

OpenVPN is good that it needs only one port (with any number) and works over TCP and UDP - both! And if you denied even those, you can still try resort to tunneling over, say, DNS.

Once you can get in touch with your host in unrestricted internet, even on single port, you're generally the winner of this game and can tunnel arbitrary data in that connection (by using SSH, OpenVPN or whatever else).

Actually, there is no absolute and universal answer how to bypass certain firewall(s). You may have to learn your exact network configuration yourself and understand restrictions in effect and how to bypass them, using your network protocols knowledge. So, learn protocols, learn networking. Then you will be a network king :-).

China will even deploy deep packet inspection to filter out your content, so it the google trick wouldn't do it!
You might have to try OpenVPN with a VPN outside of China.

Does this work?

http://store.ovi.com/content/7B7BC44...40050A85325FAC

Originally Posted by Laughingstok View Post
Does this work?

Nope. "This item is not available for your country. Explore more great (yeah, right!) content in the "Related" section below".

Posts: 1,390 | Thanked: 642 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ California USA
Does this work?

Works for me.

@PowerUser Guess that's too hardcore for me. All I want is to play Angry Birds.

Originally Posted by Den in USA View Post
Works for me.
Where are you in China? Beijing?

Originally Posted by HRZ View Post
Ok, so because I've gotten accustomed to not having access, well at least not easy access, to Facebook, Twitter, Youtube, Blogspot, and sometimes even Google I've learned to accept the fact that while living here in the People's Republic of China I would not have access to these on the N900.
How can you accept something like this! I am from a former communist country and I know what you're living in. So now I'd never accept any kind of censorship or monitoring. You shouldn't be living in constant fear!

Anyway install OpenVPN with some free VPN provider like http://itshidden.com/ for example.

Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
Have you had a friend outside China try sending you the links to the apps to your phone number directly?
We tried that, and no it didn't work.

Posts: 279 | Thanked: 293 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Italy
You just need a sshable server outside of China. Then do a "ssh -ND 9050 ssh_server_ip" and use tsocks as you woulld do with tor. All packets are tunnelled under ssh encryption.

The Following User Says Thank You to admiral0 For This Useful Post: