Active Topics

Hi
I've defined two mail accounts, classic PO3/SMTP definitions.

I could receive my mails from all POP3 accounts, but I cannot send any message: I keep receiving a "Mail cannot be sent" black-on-yellow maemo msg (the message is in my local language, Italian, but I suppose in english the message is that)

I've tried two or three different SMTPs accaunts I have, but nothing changes.

So I've two question-groups:

1) Does anybody know where I could look for details of the problem? Is there a mail-log in N900? Just to know the reasons...

2) I've seen I could define SMTP parms either on the mail account, either on "internet conecttions" screen (via menu: "E-Mail" --> "SMTP Servers"): which one has the priority? Have I to define both of them (currently I've defined the SMTP server only under my mail-accounts)?

Thanks in advance
Sergio

I have the same problem. Nokia N900 sucks at Email as far as have experienced so far!

I also have not been able to send one email

As of three days ago I cannot send or receive mail, update weather or share to Ovi services. Quite mysterious. I have a strong connection to my AP and can browse web pages on the device just fine.

My mailserver settings haven't changed at all. What is the equivalent to /var/log/mail.log on the device? Neither syslog or dmesg report anything suspicious.. Currently all I have to work with is 'failed' next to emails in the Outbox.

Cheers,

The problem is solved. My router passes all DNS lookups to ISP NSs. While fine for HTTP it seemed it was just too slow for email and ovi sharing. I'm using my own nameservers now on the N900 (see /etc/resolv.conf or advanced connection settings) and it's all working well.

Where you modify SMTP parameters? In a particular E-Mail account or in "SMTP Servers inside "E-mail" main menu? If one does work, is the other setting empty?
I've tried 3 combinations (E-mail account+SmtpServer, only E-Mail account, only SmtpServer) but none works....
...I hope at least next Maemo update could fix the problem... The current one does not :-((
Thanks anyway...

Originally Posted by Ssergio View Post
Where you modify SMTP parameters? In a particular E-Mail account or in "SMTP Servers inside "E-mail" main menu? If one does work, is the other setting empty?
I've tried 3 combinations (E-mail account+SmtpServer, only E-Mail account, only SmtpServer) but none works....
...I hope at least next Maemo update could fix the problem... The current one does not :-((
Thanks anyway...
The update has not fixed the email issue for me, I still have not sent an email, ever from my N900

Posts: 670 | Thanked: 747 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Kansas City, Missouri, USA
I've been using my N900 to keep track of several email accounts from different providers for over a month now with no problems. It does work, and pretty well for me.

Check your setup very carefully. Normally, everything for setting up standard email accounts can be done in the 'Edit accounts' dialogs. Remember, not all accounts use the same settings. For example, I have accounts that, for the outgoing server, may use port 25 while another uses port 465. Security settings may differ, etc. etc.

To help with specific email problems, you have to give some details. Almost every time, whether dealing with anything from a desktop computer to a phone, there's nothing wrong with the unit or email client themselves. It's improper setup somewhere in the chain. But no one can magically figure where the problem is from "I can't send mail".
Registered Linux user #266531.

The Following User Says Thank You to Crashdamage For This Useful Post: