Posts: 287 | Thanked: 127 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Sweden
That depends on the deal. Most people are going to get a voice + data contract anyway, so why not get a little something for it? I got ~13% off the phone only for signing up for a 24 month contract with the carrier I was going with anyway, no extra fees.

Posts: 207 | Thanked: 84 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ bournemouth
Originally Posted by rapante View Post
which means you have to essentially fork out the same amount of money, but in a longer span...
i find this quite amusing, I work for the Carphone Warehouse, and statements like that are actually quite the norm,

I want a ______ phone

ok then its £___ to buy

oh no I want it free

ok then its £___ per month for ___ months and you get ____ minutes and _____ texts and _____ internets

oh no im not signing a contract, I want a free _____ phone

--------

it happens ALL THE TIME its quite funny

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to starman For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Originally Posted by samdennison7 View Post
I would like to become a tester of the new Maemo 6 system - from a users perspective.
So it looks that after all you want to test for free an N900 with Maemo 5 (five)?

The Following User Says Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by floffe View Post
That depends on the deal. Most people are going to get a voice + data contract anyway, so why not get a little something for it? I got ~13% off the phone only for signing up for a 24 month contract with the carrier I was going with anyway, no extra fees.
I came to hate mobile phone plans with a longer run time than 1 month (my o2 plan with 5gb data has a 4 week canceling period, no additional after) and I am in an industry where I just can't have 24 (not even 12) month plans.

I had to move countries twice in the last 2 years, and depending on the laws in the country you lived in you might be forced to pay your plan for the remaining time (without being able to use it), which is why I hate plans with a fixed amount of month.

So I just started calculating and came to the conclusion that contracts with subsidised phones are more expensive in 99% of the cases, so I never bother thinking about getting my phone with a monthly plan.

You always end up paying more than you actually thought in the beginning.

Originally Posted by starman View Post
oh no im not signing a contract, I want a free _____ phone

--------

it happens ALL THE TIME its quite funny
people who think they'll get anything for free in live these days are just completely nuts and/or stupid

Posts: 8 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ England
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
So it looks that after all you want to test for free an N900 with Maemo 5 (five)?
Yeah basically that what it comes down to!

You don't ask you don't get!

Or as I suspect you do ask and you still don't get!

Posts: 290 | Thanked: 68 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Barbados/London
Fair point -in that case does anyone know where to get hold of a Nokia N900 without paying £350?
i got my n900 unlocked for around $400usd boxed etc. valid imei nothing dodgy...
cant pm (private message) you though...try to pm me

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Yeah basically that what it comes down to!

You don't ask you don't get!

Or as I suspect you do ask and you still don't get!
Then if you want to test Maemo 5 ask for Maemo 5, not 6.

Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
Fair point -in that case does anyone know where to get hold of a Nokia N900 without paying £350?
Attend the next Maemo community event and mug someone?

Of course, there'd be the cost of attending the event, and the risks involved in any crime. Not to mention the damage other Maemo-people might do to you if they catch you.

BTW, where can you get one for £350? I paid a lot more than that (and it was worth every penny).

Nokia do run public trials. You find out about this at http://www.nokia.com/pilots to date i have mostly just been spammed with questionnaires about different services and device form factors. However the FAQ does state:
Do I get special access to new devices and services?
If the project you have been selected for is designing a new product or service, then you will get access during the Nokia Pilots project you’re working on. Some projects are focused on developing new ideas that will only be implemented later, but if these ideas eventually turn into a product or service, your early participation will be taken into account when candidates are chosen for the project.
If you are really interested in helping Nokia test stuff it might be worth a go but i'd say that even with putting a lot of effort your chances of getting a Maemo 6 device out of this are near zero. You would be better off getting into the development side of things in the maemo community and seeing what bones Nokia throws out.

Nice blag attempt though, good luck with that.

Posts: 8 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ England
Originally Posted by RevdKathy View Post
Attend the next Maemo community event and mug someone?

Of course, there'd be the cost of attending the event, and the risks involved in any crime. Not to mention the damage other Maemo-people might do to you if they catch you.

BTW, where can you get one for £350? I paid a lot more than that (and it was worth every penny).
I found it online in the states for $459/$499 dollars and did the conversion on which ever one comes up as £350.

I currently have a Nokia 5800 and although the phone is OK everytime I get a new firmware update of App that I think solves it's down falls it throws up another problem.

E.G. I use it attached to a Nokia Car Kit and since downloading latest firmware when it hooks up to the in car kit it wipes any alarms I have set - annoying when you need it to get up for work.