Active Topics

the best way is to get a lanyard and wear it around your neck hahahah its drop proof!

Posts: 346 | Thanked: 139 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Houston Texas
So how exactly does this case scratch the metal rim? Is it from putting it on and taking it off? or just sliding from normal use?

The case doesn't fit fully snug, it is a little loose so this causes sliding / rubbing / scratching

Posts: 19 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ France
Since they are cheap enough (from Hong Kong) I actually got a sample of both cases : the silicon and the hard case. Beward that it can take a very long time to get to you since it has to go through customs and most of the ebay resellers don't exactly use premium postage.

Silicon Case : in the past this is what I have used for my HTC Diamond and S300. The problem here is that it's not very well adapted to a sliding phone so it's composed of two parts with a plastic hinge-type mechanism that adds some extra bulk to the ends of the phone (where the hinges are). In addition, I covers up all the buttons (good thing since you don't get dust in them) but also the IR port making it useless. It also makes the stylus and the lock button difficult to access The fit isn't that great either for the N900 - the bottom part is OK but the top part doesn't hug the metallic screen very well. Weight is fine (it's light) but with the extra volume, it makes this big phone even bigger - too big in my opinion. The good thing is that it looks like it will be fairly effective at protecting the phone.

Hard Case : I would have had a tendency to use this instead of the silicon case since it is really a lot more discreet and doesn't cover up the IR port. It doesn't add much extra volume and in my case it does seem to fit pretty snug (I got the package with 2 case - one blue and one black; the black is snug, the blue isn't). My concern of course is that it will eventually damage the metallic part as pointed out earlier.

What I wonder is whether or not the people having experienced the metallic cover scratch had a case that was too loose? Has EVERYONE that has had these hard cases experienced scratching problems with them? Is there a solution like putting something in the metallic case cover to make it snug? It seems like plastic shouldn't be able to damage the metal that easily?

-=AC=-

I

The Following User Says Thank You to AloxeCorton For This Useful Post:
I recently bought a lambskin pouch. In the mail again, will see how it goes.

Posts: 346 | Thanked: 139 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Houston Texas
Everyone,

I found a way to use this case on the n900 without damaging the rim. I would post pics, but it's pretty straight forward.

Basically, cut a long peice of electrical tape about 1.5mm wide and cover the whole rim on the n900. It doesn't have to be perfect because the rim part of the case covers it.

I noticed without the tape, the case was extremely loose, now it fits on perfectly and is sturdy.

I had the same issue. I bought both the black rubberish version, as well as the clear plastic one.

The Black one broke within a week. One of the tabs on the top part broke off.

Tried the crystal one and after a couple of days realized there was a jagged bit of plastic sticking out underneath the top section. When I was opening an closing the keyboard it was scratching the textured finish away on the space to the right of the keyboard. Not a big deal as that will wear off over time anyway... still rather crap though!

If you think the space above the top line on the keyboard is bad already, these cases cut that in half! I'm not using any form of case, or even a screen protector now... just a lanyard. I'm not too bothered if it gets a few scratches. Important thing is it gets used! Do you work for the n900?, or does it work for you?!

Does the Zagg shield protect the area prone to getting scratch from these hard cases? Is this case the same type as that in the OP?

Thanks for the warning OP! just ordered one from ebay too, thankfull to find this!

May try and cover the inside of the case in one of my TV screen wipes, i know the case can actually be pretty good, but i dont wan't it scratching my device.

I also ordered a leather case (Pdair if i recall) so i'm hoping that wont do any damage either.

Shame .

Posts: 311 | Thanked: 110 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Boston, MA
I had ordered this prior to seeing this warning and I wish I had saw this beforehand...

The first case arrived broken - the back panel would not clip on as there was a massive crack across it...

The seller then sent me a replacement and while it was not broken it did not fit any better!

Waste of money, thankfully not much... I am sticking with the all over ZAGG protector that I have installed as that protects the back and screen with no additional bulk.

I was hoping that this case would protect the sides but its so flimsy that its unlikely to stay attached and intact for too long...