Active Topics

Just went online for first time with the 800. I trade stocks and when I went to the Ameritrade site that worked. However when I tried to go to the streaming quotes section it did not work.It does require Java.Is the streaming function not something I can make use of?
Thanks
Jerry

According to the Amertrade website, Streamer Suite (the thingee that streams stock quotes) requires either Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 or Mozilla 1.7.2 (Browsers that run on the Mozilla platform include Firefox 1.0 or later.)

Thus, minimo might work for you. Minimo is a small version of Firefox with many of the same features offered. Here is one way to download minimo:

1. From AppManager add this entry into "new catalogue":
web address: http://home.ufam.edu.br/~agan/minimo/
Distribution: bora
Components: user
2. Refresh your application list and browse installable applications.
3. Pick "minimo"

Now, it may be that this is more than a browser issue. Reading other posts suggests that javascript is ok for the n800 but it can't handle java applets.

If your stock streamer needs more java support, it may run if you install java VM. This process looks complex and apparently will take your system 2 minutes to boot after install...not for the faint of heart

Well, anyway, I didn't intend this thread to be about people's particular softward problems.

My general advice is going to be google, search this site, search maemo.org. That's what I'm doing. In this thread, I just wanted to list some general cool tips and tricks for a new N800 owner. So in that spirit here's a a list of repositories:

Link to Application Libraries:

http://maemo.org/community/wiki/appl...nrepositories/

Anybody else have any ideas to for the new n800 user?

Last edited by signjc; 2007-05-04 at 19:54.

Watching Movies:

This site has some great public domain movies you can download and watch on your n800:

http://www.archive.org/details/moviesandfilms

Just download the 256 mpeg4 versions to your SD card, and watch them fullscreen. They seem to run without a hiccup.

These are older movies, but there are some gems, such as Rashomon by Akira Kurosawa.

Posts: 701 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ Italy
Originally Posted by signjc View Post
Step 3. Run the application manager and check for installable programs. I grabbed rhapsody this way with a 30 day free trial. Tested it out by grabbing some M. Doughty, TMBG, Tenacious D, and the Smiths for a quick playlist to listen to while I kept on pimping my tablet. Smooth sailing so far.
Pretty OT: are you an M.Doughty fan?! Hard life for us in italy! I've been a fan of both soul coughing and michael doughty, missed their show in italy due to work schedules, and then SC splitted..

Great music IMHO! And I was quite surprised that, once I was in the united states, no one asked me "WTF they are?!" if asking for a SC cd...

Yeah, I'm an M. Doughty fan have been since I heard Bus to Beezlebub at an indie coffee shop in 1996. I went out and bought the CD that day. I saw Soul Coughing in concert one during their El Oso tour and M. Doughty at a small venue when he was pimping his first solo CD.

Some n800 stuff:

1. Maemo Mapper When you download maemo-mapper, pull down the menu and select Maps > Manage Repositories. Your default repository is Open Street, but if you select downlaod and click ok, it should add Google and VE maps. This is much better than searching the forums for the urls.

Next, with auto download on, I used the Open Street map to get to my general area. This centered my map with the correct latitude and longitude without having to look them up (I don't have a GPS).

At this point, I turned off auto-download, and switched to google maps. I opened up the Map Manager and downloaded zoom levels 1-4 [with the following settings: Under the setup tab check "by area", under the zoom tab click on zoom levels 1-4 and click OK].

This didn't cover all the area I wanted, so I clicked on the screen til black covered half the screen and then downloaded again. The maps were downloaded to fill in the black area of my screen.

Hope that makes setting up Maemo Mapper easy.

2. TV Links I found an easy way to watch some TV on the lunch break. Visit www.tv-links.co.uk/ or http://www.yourtvlinks.com/

These sites have links to other sites that host TV episodes. Not all the links work or are in a format supported by the N800. However, many links work quite well, and I've watched episodes of Monk and South Park.

To make the process run smoother click on the window of the video until a menu appears and choose settings. Slide the widget all the way to the right (unlimited), pause your playback for a minute or so, and then start up. It should run pretty smooth.

3. Moving Program Icons: A lot of progams will install themselves in extras and if you don't pay attention your extra folder will fill up real quick. Here's how to move those programs around:

Open up your control panel and select navigation. Click Organize. From this window you can move your progams from folder to folder or create new folders.

4. Blogger Relations Site: Here is a link to the Nokia blogger relations site: http://n800.bloggercomm.com/

Not sure where they are going with this, but there it is.

Feel free to post more tips and advice!

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Great contributions, signjc!

Great thread! I'm sitting at home waiting for mine to arrive from UPS today...

I'm excited and nervous at the same time, but I know that within a few days or so I'll like my specific user interface and all that I'm running in it.

In all honesty - I can't wait to download Scumm....I love the monkey island games!

Last edited by seamusdaithi; 2007-05-15 at 19:24.

thx for great links. I'm very very happy my new gadget and I even managed to flash sdhc kernel.
Still problems with java: cannot unzip file and not find out how to do that (search has give no help) GUI please, gurus

Here is instructions on how to install java; however this not a newb endeavor.

The last two times i have paid to get online t-mobile and neo wlan i had no probblem connecting howver any time thhe wifi has to link through a local isp address i can't connect .any ideas thanks