Active Topics

Posts: 607 | Thanked: 450 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Washington, DC
Originally Posted by RobertHall View Post
.....because americans have a real bad attitude problem...the "we art better than thou" attitude...
i think they lack knowledge in relation to mobile phones...i mean...how can nokia be doing something wrong in their marketing...when it succeeds EVERYWHERE ELSE except america?
Because they don't market in America. If you want a good American computer, you can go down to PC World in London (the UK store, not the US magazine) and look at, buy, and take home an Alienware Aurora. If I want an N900, there is no where within at least 200 miles of my house that has one I can see and if Nokia's two (that's 2) American stores close there may be no store in America (that would be nearly 10,000,000 square kilometers) with it on display. It's not my fault, it's Nokia's decision.

lets not start on the journalism....always the wrong facts, skepticism and the "if it isnt american it cant be good" egotistical attitude.
The phone that's currently getting the most bad press is the Google Nexus because of the difficulty in buying one, the lack of support, and the return fees. The US press slams US products all the time.

haiti's capital "port of prince"....its "port oh prance"(pron.)
Actually it should be Pòtoprens since the French no longer own it. Just out of curiosity, do BBC newsreaders call it Paree? Ours call it Paris and the French be damned.

its "soccer" in america yet THE REST OF THE WORLD knows it as football...enough said.
Excuse me, the English know it as football. Nokia employees would call it jalkapallo. Soccer is an English term we stole. American football is derived from Rugby football whose rules were defined at Rugby and which used the term football a century before the effete students at Cambridge came up with their "football" rules.

why fight a pyrric battle in america?
Actually it's Pyrrhic and your education seems to have failed you. If anything, it's the other companies who play the role of Pyrrhus against the relative size and might of Nokia/Rome. But like Rome, Nokia seems to have become stagnant, content to rest on their laurels.

The orange strikes back

I got mine from NY, and it probably was one of the first stores to have it available. I bought it on black friday(that weekend) and the next day(on monday) they were all gone
I'd actually like living there since the phone in EU is almost 900$ (yes the euro makes it sound less)... and you guys have it available now with some coupon for 470$...

As for us journalists actually having an idea... most of them have they're head up their *****es and can't tell a smartphone from a microwave oven..

But I'm not the guy knowing the situation as it actually is. Christexaport here I'm sure knows the situation as I remember reading a very good article about the situation.

I'm really curious about his opinion on the matter as soon as you guys finish talking about cars

Banned | Posts: 291 | Thanked: 42 times | Joined on Dec 2009
Us North Americans prefer luxury, ease of use and trendiness and we don't mind paying for it. Yes, we sometimes love to be spoonfed by the media and just go with the hype. It is our way of life. This mentality lets new and cool products to emerge. We are busy and don't have time to spend on hours of configuration. That's why the iPhone is a HUGE hit here. You just unbox it and there you go - works as expected from day 1.

The Nokia (aka European way) is basically the opposite. Over the holidays I saw some people in Europe still using 5190s.

IMO Nokia will not be able to crack the NA market even if they wanted to. People here have the following association: Nokia=cheap prepaid phones. It's like FIAT. Regardless how cool new vehicles they'd make people still call them Fix-It-Again-Tony. Associations like these are powerful.

Last edited by OrangeBox; 2010-01-15 at 22:29.

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
My point is that the market is the way it is. Nokia, apparently, isn't going to be able to compete by getting the government to fix things for them so their next option is to compete on value. Something they're apparently unwilling or unable to do in the US.
Well, and their lack of presence and support like you had mentioned earlier. I was hoping that Google's REAL innovation was the Nexus One's online store and how it might START to move things toward the more sane free-market with phones, but I think they missed their opportunity by not making it available for purchase in common walk-in stores like Wal-Mart, Target, Best Buy, etc. Ultimately, I think Google might be repeating Nokia's dumb mistakes by not providing a place for people to look at the product, touch it, want to own it.. and to come back to when they need to return it for any reason. I'd almost argue it's worse because there's noplace to call for help with problems--but, really, whenever I'd called Nokia I experienced pretty much the same outcome. If that's typical of Nokia, then there really isn't any difference.

Originally Posted by colnago View Post
Sweet Beetle!
VW represent!!!
heheh.. best of all, it's about as open-source as a commercially sold car could ever get. FULLY documented, well understood, well supported by third party providers, no DRM, no proprietary electronics, etc. Cheap, cheap cheap... but reliable.

If only computing could be like that. ...waaaaaait..

Last edited by danramos; 2010-01-15 at 22:32.

Originally Posted by DaveP1 View Post
If you want a good American computer, you can go down to PC World in London (the UK store, not the US magazine) and look at, buy, and take home an Alienware Aurora.
Wrong. If you want a good computer in the US you look for RJ tech not that I want to advertise... RJ sells clevo, clevo makes the barebones for Alienware. So US is one of the few places you can get a debranded alienware MX15 without crappy paint that chippes off or that alien that makes you look ridiculous on the back of the notebook.

Also the M860TU (aka. MX15) (I gots one) doesn't overheat and can take... well this is not the place but it can take a configuration that will put any gaming/3D design 17"-19" laptop to shame.

Alienware isn't the source, just go to the source

Last edited by Bec; 2010-01-15 at 22:34.

Banned | Posts: 291 | Thanked: 42 times | Joined on Dec 2009
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
heheh.. best of all, it's about as open-source as a commercially sold car could ever get. FULLY documented, well understood, well supported by third party providers, etc. Cheap, cheap cheap... but reliable.

If only computing could be like that. ...waaaaaait..
You can't possibly advocate the open-source concept wrto cars. Should cars become open-source (like the N900), they'd have 10 different ash-trays to configure, filling them up would involving stopping at 5 gas stations and they would not work as expected at the time of purchase.

(I mentioned ash-trays because nobody uses them)

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
My point is that the market is the way it is. Nokia, apparently, isn't going to be able to compete by getting the government to fix things for them so their next option is to compete on value. Something they're apparently unwilling or unable to do in the US.
And MY point is that Nokia didn't "try to get the government to fix things" but rather made an end run around the US carrier model, failed largely due to competitor short-sightedness, and has been spanked by the carriers for it ever since.

You're a sharp guy GA and I'll be damned if I can figure out why you keep returning to an invalidated argument.

Originally Posted by OrangeBox View Post
You can't possibly advocate the open-source concept wrto cars. Should cars become open-source (like the N900), they'd have 10 different ash-trays to configure, filling them up would involving stopping at 5 gas stations and they would not work as expected at the time of purchase.

But.. it's already been done (classic VW Beetle).. with none of those problems. No?

Originally Posted by OrangeBox View Post

And you'd still be a troll.