Active Topics

Closed Thread
Posts: 355 | Thanked: 566 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Redstone Canyon, Colorado
Originally Posted by jscribble View Post
Not to discredit any of the points made, but this is essentially a community-run service.
This is *not* a community run service. As far as I can tell, everyone that has access to the servers is paid directly or indirectly (as consultants or via other companies) by Nokia. The "community" has no access to the servers themselves, nor even the most basic information about them. The community has no access to logs, how many hits, or anything whatsoever. In fact, who is in charge of what is very vague as well--it could perhaps be pieced together through tidbits left here and there, but it certainly isn't clear.

If it were a community run service, we'd be able to get in there and get some things done. Instead we have to wait for the crumbs that Nokia throws us. Compare this to Debian, which is a *real* community run distro. Or even to Fedora, which is corporate sponsored, but has huge community involvement.

Originally Posted by jscribble View Post
Have faith, repos will be back, and better than ever.
Check this out:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Outag...astructure_SOP
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Categ...structure_SOPs

Think Nokia will do something like that? We'll just get one way blog posts from Ari Jaaksi or something talking about how great things are.

-Jeff

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jebba For This Useful Post:
Posts: 38 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Milton, WI, US
Jeff, you're absolutely right. We do have community involvement, but not at any level which gives us any ability to fix this issue with the servers. However, we can set up our own mirrors and backup plan, which maemo.org and nokia welcome. I'm all for doing anything I can to help set up full mirrors, or anything else that could ease the pain of future issues. I have a limited set of skills, but I would love a chance to help.

The Following User Says Thank You to jscribble For This Useful Post:
Posts: 225 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ some where on earth
Originally Posted by f2thak View Post
since when has nokia been on time?!?
if i'm not mistaken Nokia isn't maemo.org
nokia is the one with the updates maemo.org are the guys doing all the other work as far as testing and Repositories with the add ons like IM and others

Posts: 144 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Cali
It doesn't appear that Nokia even cares. This is their prime, new device and I had to search forums to find out that on Monday, their device will actually re-gain access to the limited number of apps. I hope they do something to make up for this. Fingers crossed for a stash of new apps when Ovi Store exits beta stage.

Last edited by thefoxtrot; 2010-01-18 at 07:10.

Posts: 226 | Thanked: 63 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Maldives
I would gladly pay a monthly donation for a real community run server mirroring everything, I often hear issues about slow build servers too. I am pretty sure others would support such an undertaking.

Posts: 474 | Thanked: 283 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Oxford, UK
Originally Posted by thefoxtrot View Post
It doesn't appear that Nokia even cares. This is their prime, new device and I had to search forums to find out that on Monday, their device will actually re-gain access back to the limited number of apps. I hope they do something to make up for this. Fingers crossed for a stash of new apps when Ovi exits beta stage.
That is not accurate.

Nokia's servers haven't gone down, and apps provided on Nokia servers including on Ovi are still available.

Only the maemo.org repositories are down. Do you think Apple cares when non-Apple sites go down, or Google cares when non-Google Android sites go down?

That said, maemo.org is special. It is a rather grey line between Nokia and maemo.org.

Nearly all the useful third-party apps are on maemo.org. Nokia clearly relies on it for their (almost non-existent) marketing.

Nokia pays for maemo.org servers, and maemo.org repos are installed by default. But it's clearly not run by Nokia, nor run the way Nokia would run commercial servers. That comes with pros and cons. A pro being all the good community development and involvement resources that are hosted on maemo.org. A con being... what we saw this weekend.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jjx For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Whoever is or isn't at fault, it can't be good for Nokia or Maemo to have this kind of outage when its ace card is an enthusiastic bunch of users who are not rendered more enthusiastic by repositories going down for days.

The Following User Says Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Ulvila, Finland
Originally Posted by f2thak View Post
since when has nokia been on time?!?
I would give this a Score: 5, Funny ...
I have been annoyed by the repository shortage as much as the next guy. But this just wasn't a problem to warrant paying someone the money that would have been needed to get someone to work on weekend. With Hockey season on and all! )

This is just IMHO. I'm not working with Nokia or have any real affiliation with maemo.org..

Posts: 92 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Germany, Bavaria
Are the servers back online ?
Can't check it up at the moment. Thanks.

Originally Posted by RouterRebooter View Post
Are the servers back online ?
Can't check it up at the moment. Thanks.
not working for me as of yet!!!!

Closed Thread