Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 3 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Austria
Hello,
I install now version 1.6! it works! But I can only start it from a shell!

Is there a GUI available? juaalto posts a picture with GUI
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=33770&page=4

Hi there
I just got a N900 and I'd need to run a remote desktop-like program to acces my PC (Windows Vista) from the N900. I have no idea of porgramming. Could anyone tell me what to do? I guess I should download a file and then install it, but agagin, I have never done it before. Thanks in advance,
L

Originally Posted by loscertales View Post
Hi there
I just got a N900 and I'd need to run a remote desktop-like program to acces my PC (Windows Vista) from the N900. I have no idea of porgramming. Could anyone tell me what to do? I guess I should download a file and then install it, but agagin, I have never done it before. Thanks in advance,
L

rdesktop is in extras-development and I should say *DANGER WILL ROBINSON, DANGER* before you go installing things from extras-devel. You install applications from there at your own risk. Also I have no idea that it works with Vista. I've only used it with XP SP3.

That said, I've used rdesktop located there and it worked pretty well aside from the occasional mysterious disconnects. Again, if it screws something up don't go blaming the rdesktop guys, me, your Aunt Agatha, etc.

Posts: 850 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by ewo View Post
edit2: I'm using Vista Home Premium which apparently only has "Windows Remote Assistance" instead of remote desktop (what ever the big difference might be).

Is it even possible to use rdesktop with a Vista Home Premium machine or am I just wasting time here?
If Home Premium only has remote assistance available, and not remote desktop, it won't work.
those are different applications requiring different clients to connect, so you're out of luck, i'm afraid.

you can however install a VNC server on your Vista Home Premium box and use vncviewer on the tablet to connect.

Can anyone tell me, does the remote desktop client auto resize the screen or is it a case of left/right up/down scrolling to get round the desktop you have connected to?

Thanks

Scott

Posts: 352 | Thanked: 231 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Vancouver
VNC on the n900 = actual desktop and scroll around
RDP on the n900 = 800 x 480

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to timwatt For This Useful Post:
Please forgive me but you said that "rdesktop is in extras-development ", where is that extras-development place? Thanks again,
L

I downloaded rdesktop_1.7-maemo1_armel from the garage page. If I use X terminal to install it, when I type "dpkg _i" the system answers "requested operation requires superuser privilege". Does anyone know how to get around this??
Thanks,
L

I downloaded rdesktop_1.7-maemo1_armel from the garage page. If I use X terminal to install it, when I type "dpkg _i" the system answers "requested operation requires superuser privilege". Does anyone know how to get around this??
Thanks,
L
Install 'rootsh' package using App Manager. In X Terminal enter 'sudo gainroot' before entering other commands.

The Following User Says Thank You to juaalto For This Useful Post:
Posts: 850 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Vienna, Austria
Please forgive me but you said that "rdesktop is in extras-development ", where is that extras-development place? Thanks again,
L
see here: http://wiki.maemo.org/Extras

i believe it would be better if you enabled the extras-devel repository (see the link to the wiki for instructions how to do that), installed rdesktop, and disabled it again.
installing by hand with dpkg isn't recommended for beginners, and if rdesktop has some dependencies, it won't work anyways.

be aware that software from extras-devel usually is not end-user friendly and possibly dangerous. i'm not saying anything will happen, i just want you to know the risk.

The Following User Says Thank You to SubCore For This Useful Post: