Posts: 883 | Thanked: 980 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Bern, Switzerland
To change your background image on the lock screen, edit the following file:
  • /usr/share/themes/alpha/backgrounds/lockslider.png (if you use the default blue theme "alpha") OR
  • /usr/share/themes/beta/backgrounds/lockslider.png (if you use the alternate brown/orange theme "beta")
Additionally, if you want to edit the look of the swiper itself, you can find the graphics elements in the /usr/share/themes/alpha/images folder, filenames "LockSlider*.png"

The easiest way to do this is probably to install the SSH server on your N900, then login via SFTP from your desktop, download the file, edit it locally using your favorite paint program and finally re-upload it. Then reboot.

At least that's what I did right now on my PR1.1, adding my owner information as a line of text along the bottom of the screen. Won't win design award, but works

(tip for beginners - keep a backup copy of the file before wrecking anything...)

"the idea of truly having a computer in your pocket just moved a big step closer."

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to twaelti For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qwertyberty View Post
the lock slider background is located in the relevant theme folder
for the nseries theme it is in

/usr/share/themes/alpha/lockslider.png

you could change this via xterm,
i haven't tried it yet but i have extracted it to my pc to try editing.
I'm not too good at graphic stuff so I'll upload it here.

this is for the nseries theme and is only the background,
I haven't found the slider part yet
This photo is a lower resolution than the N900. Did you resize, or does it stretch it? Was just wondering if I could just use it, edit it a little (to add my personal info) and some how replace it via the terminal. All that instead of installing SSH server and whatever else is needed (as I have no clue there).

Mine......
Attached Images

Posts: 180 | Thanked: 82 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Miami
The lockslider ball thing in in the themes/images folder, along many other useful icons

Originally Posted by twaelti View Post
To change your background image on the lock screen, edit the following file:
  • /usr/share/themes/alpha/backgrounds/lockslider.png (if you use the default blue theme "alpha") OR
  • /usr/share/themes/beta/backgrounds/lockslider.png (if you use the alternate brown/orange theme "beta")
Additionally, if you want to edit the look of the swiper itself, you can find the graphics elements in the /usr/share/themes/alpha/images folder, filenames "LockSlider*.png"

The easiest way to do this is probably to install the SSH server on your N900, then login via SFTP from your desktop, download the file, edit it locally using your favorite paint program and finally re-upload it. Then reboot.

At least that's what I did right now on my PR1.1, adding my owner information as a line of text along the bottom of the screen. Won't win design award, but works

(tip for beginners - keep a backup copy of the file before wrecking anything...)
How do yo navigate to this files, do you use the xterminal or any other program, like a file explorer.

thanks in advance

Posts: 180 | Thanked: 82 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Miami
Originally Posted by redswap View Post
How do yo navigate to this files, do you use the xterminal or any other program, like a file explorer.

thanks in advance
You can use xterminal but that would take a long time and its very complicated. I use GPE file manager, and it works just like a file explorer, just make sure you dont mess up your other system files

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to waleed786 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by waleed786 View Post
You can use xterminal but that would take a long time and its very complicated. I use GPE file manager, and it works just like a file explorer, just make sure you dont mess up your other system files
Thanks for your answer.

I tried it with midnight commander but my thought was i might need root for that so i typed sudo mc and its asking me for a password. What password? I don't know what password it is asking for...
maybe i'll try GPE later but i would be very very very thankfull for any help with this frustrating problem.

greetz

donsaibot

edit: okay i figured it out.

Last edited by donsaibot; 2010-01-21 at 21:31.

Posts: 243 | Thanked: 146 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Knowhere
Originally Posted by donsaibot View Post
I tried it with midnight commander but my thought was i might need root for that so i typed sudo mc and its asking me for a password. What password? I don't know what password it is asking for...
maybe i'll try GPE later but i would be very very very thankfull for any help with this frustrating problem.

greetz

donsaibot
My vast knowledge of Linux commands consists of this:

sudo gainroot

and then you type

mc

to run Midnight Commander as root.

Tomorrow I'll be trying to remember ls

Posts: 1,090 | Thanked: 476 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Ingolstadt, Germany
Originally Posted by hellnick View Post
sudo gainroot
for this one you have to install "rootsh" ^^

then you can become root by using the command above.
after this xterm runs every command as root.
so you can start whatever you want with just typing the program name and hitting enter.
if you don't know the exact name just begin to write it and (double-)tap the "Tab"-button on the touchscreen to autocomplete the name or making all possible suggestions coming up.