Active Topics

Posts: 56 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Carlisle, PA
May sound like a dumb question but I have searched and can't seem to find the culprit of my problem. Any time I open a terminal it shows like I ran the top command and then it clears out and gives me the command line. Apparently is the ash term there you can't do the history -c command to clear the history but I don't think history would have anything to do with what I am experiencing.

Posts: 187 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Southampton, UK
Hi, your history is stored in a file called .ash_history.

You could try deleting that file from the terminal to see if that solves your problem. To do this:

Navigate to your home directory:
cd ~/
Then run the command
rm .ash_history

I thought about trying that but I figured it isn't the command history that i am having trouble with. I did try it anyway and deleted the .ash_history file and still no go. Still shows top output when terminal opens. It doesn't matter if I start terminal from the desktop shortcut or from the programs menu.

Posts: 287 | Thanked: 127 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Sweden
Take a look in ~/.ashrc and (or possibly ~/.profile) and see if top is started from there. That file is read when the shell is started in the terminal.

Originally Posted by floffe View Post
Take a look in ~/.ashrc and (or possibly ~/.profile) and see if top is started from there. That file is read when the shell is started in the terminal.
Will do, I will post back once I checked. Thanks

Posts: 780 | Thanked: 855 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Helsinki, Finland
It's the "take a screenshot of the application and show it while to application itself is loading during the transition to make it appear fast like an iPhone" -function.

It just got screwed.

Well had a quick look and there is no .ashrc file and no .profile file but there is a .profiled directory which does have profile config files

Posts: 287 | Thanked: 127 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Sweden
That's not it, profiled is related to the phone profile settings and not the shell being started. Joppu could well be right.